Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Where to mount Kelmar Film Cleaner on Cinemeccanica CNR 3-35N?

Author Topic: Where to mount Kelmar Film Cleaner on Cinemeccanica CNR 3-35N?
Michael Hossen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2009 11:32 AM      Profile for Michael Hossen   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Hossen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello again guys,

Picked up one of these on eBay the other day, and I'm trying to work out the best place to mount it on our CNR 3-35N platters. There are two holes which I assume are for mounting some sort of cleaner(PTR's I guess), but they won't be suitable.

If someone has mounted one on a Cinemeccanica platter before and could offer some advice that'd be great.

Cheers

Michael

|  IP: Logged

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 10-01-2009 04:32 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Michael

I know the holes you mention...don't use them. They would be for PTR's as the film ran up the tree.

It can be done, but only using the bottom two plates. I installed a few of these...here's how.

Go to the top plate and place the cleaner upside down. Hold the cleaner with your left hand so your elbow's basically in line with the payout. Now move it straight toward the tree. That's where it goes.

Make sure you have it high enough to allow the top plate to payout and still miss the cleaner but low enough to take a print from plates B and C and still make it back through the top roller.

Somewhere I have photos (I'm sure that would help [Eek!] ) If I can find them I'll post them.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 10-01-2009 07:01 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not having much luck finding the pics so far, but basically it's like this...

-

The Kinotons have enough space to allow the top plate to still run through the cleaner, but you'll find the Cinemeccanica's do not.

-

You won't need to add that top roller like I had to on the Kinotons. Just use the one already on the tree.

Michael Hossen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2009 07:51 PM      Profile for Michael Hossen   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Hossen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! Thanks for that John! That's exactly what I needed. I thought it's have to go there but wasn't too sure. Little bit annoying that we won't be able to use it on prints coming off the top plate. Maybe we could find a work around and do some modifications on the platter? Probably not worth the hassle.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 10-01-2009 08:39 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No problem.

You can still use the top plate just not with the cleaner...that never bothered me as I try to use the top plate as little as possible anyway.

Michael Hossen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2009 09:11 PM      Profile for Michael Hossen   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Hossen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, it would be hard for us to avoid using the top plate too much because they(the programmers) swap prints between screens like nothing on earth and force us to have gaps of less than 10min a lot of the time. I'll just have to teach the other guys how to thread it and reset the media and to use the bottom two plates as much as possible.

The seller did include a projector bracket, so I might be able to mount it on the projector on one of our screens. Probably not a good idea though, as it might confuse a couple of the other people who don't work too often.

Michael Hossen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2009 09:34 AM      Profile for Michael Hossen   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Hossen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, So I have the cleaner now, and it seems in pretty good condition and all is working.

I just need to work out if it would be ok to drill a hole in the platter tree and use a threaded insert to mount the bracket. I'm not sure if that'll hold the weight of the cleaner? What do you guys think?

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 10-07-2009 08:22 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Michael Hossen
I have a platter bracket that I can't use that I'd be willing to throw your way if you have the platter brackets.

What's wrong with the one you have?

Michael Hossen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2009 08:30 PM      Profile for Michael Hossen   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Hossen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Haha, oops. That was meant to be projector bracket. Well spotted.

How are you attaching the bracket to the platter in the pictures above John?

John Koutsoumis
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2009 11:00 PM      Profile for John Koutsoumis   Email John Koutsoumis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

I won't say that this the best way to do it but I have my cleaner attached using the platter barcket and in place of one of the screws that are already on the top of the platter. This is a CNR-35 but not the N model. We have an N model on another screen and it's the same but the box with the electrics is on the other side down below but I attach the cleaner in the same way removing the existing screw and screwing the bracket in it's place. Not the best way to do it but it holds up and works well for me for the time. We have no probelms using the top plate.

[uhoh] Damn I gotta restack those boxes and I have no media supply caps! It can get annoying sometimes.

Michael Hossen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-08-2009 12:06 PM      Profile for Michael Hossen   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Hossen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks very much John! Installed it tonight in roughly the same place as you have it, and it works great.

All I did to mount it was to drill a hole, use a tap to add a thread and mount it with some 8mm bolts. Holds very solid.

Can't wait to give it a good try.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 10-08-2009 04:01 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice work John. Can't you get some caps from Kelmar?

John Koutsoumis
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-08-2009 09:40 PM      Profile for John Koutsoumis   Email John Koutsoumis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah I should get my act together. It's ok for short films but if it's over 2 hours then the media starts to slide off and I have to push it back in 2-3 times during the shows. No one else will use the cleaner for this reason.
We got the cleaner new but no one can recall if the caps were in there or not.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: