Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » osciloscope & rtaīs (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: osciloscope & rtaīs
Mike Moreno
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-28-2009 02:12 PM      Profile for Mike Moreno   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Moreno   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i hace to travel for diferent cities carrying my BIG..osciloscope and rta.
can someone recomend me a small equipment that maybe can plug to my lap top to make the trip easer?
y read about usb equipment but i really donīt know wich one is good.
thanks
mike moreno
mexico

|  IP: Logged

Mike Babb
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-28-2009 08:48 PM      Profile for Mike Babb   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Babb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.acoustx.us/Products.html#completesystem

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-29-2009 06:52 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think there are many if any really good USB scopes available. I still reccomend a Tektronix either the 465B or the later 2465 which is quite a bit lighter. I recently converted to the 2465 because it is not so heavy and I was able to aquire a really nice one for about a hundred dollars. The downside of the 24XX series is the lack of available replacement IC's as Tektronix had all of them custom made. All of the sweep amplifiers and power deflection stages are monolithic ICs and the horizontal sweep IC is extremely prone to failure. You more or less have to keep a parts unit around to be able to keep these models running for the long term. On the other hand if you don't mind it's weight the 465B is still the most durable and reliable scope ever produced by anyone.

I second Mikes suggestion on sound analyzers.

Mark

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-30-2009 09:09 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, can't complain about the 465B - love mine...

-

-Monte

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 10-01-2009 01:22 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can second Mark's suggestion, and experience, regarding the Tektronix 2465 series having recently gone through it ... good scope, but parts are scarce.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 10-02-2009 01:25 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
+1 on the 465B! [thumbsup]

I got one at Mark's suggestion. Good piece of equipment.
Size and weight are secondary.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 10-02-2009 04:12 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Raise your hand if you have a rackmount oscilloscope in your booth [or a waveform monitor]?

(No, we don't. I've been tempted, but the rack space is just too dear...)

--jhawk

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-02-2009 04:39 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well...in the AFI/Silver, yes, they have a vectorscope and waveform monitor. No RTAs though.

Steve

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-02-2009 11:58 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have two Videotek TMV-621 wvfm/vector scope combos. By far the best scopes of their type I've used. Tektronix may have a better one but at probably 6 times the price.

I settled on Videotek for my repair bench because they are well made., parts are easy to get(they are owned by Harris), the crts use P-4 phosphor and have a white trace that IMHO is alot easier on the eyes and they are more flexible than Tektronix in the same price range. I am sending my Tektronix Wfm and vector scopes to another Film-Techer.

Mark

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 10-03-2009 12:27 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: John Hawkinson
Raise your hand if you have a rackmount oscilloscope in your booth [or a waveform monitor]?
Thought about it for a while but I took a couple of aspirin and laid down for a while until the feeling went away. [Wink]

Like you, rack space is short.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-03-2009 10:39 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The combination monitors like the TVM-621 and TVM-675 are for those that don't have alot of space!!!b They monitor audio as well. Similar versions are made for digital video.

Mark

Steve Guttag

- posted 10-03-2009 12:28 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Keeping with the Videotek/Harris theme and economizing on rackspace...check out their 1U (plus conventional monitor) solution...I've seen them in action and they are way cool.

http://www.broadcast.harris.com/products/test/vtm.asp

Steve

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-03-2009 12:43 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, those things are all over the place on Farnsworth Peak, mainly located in the transmitter equipment support racks. The convenience is there because it can display all pertinent info on the same screen at once. However, it doesn't REALLY save on room because you still need some sort of composite or VGA monitor to display on and that also normally goes in the rack. You could use an on line monitor and switch back and forth but then it becomes inconvenient. Tektronix has had similar units for as long as Videotek. I miessed a Tektronix unit on E-bay for a BIN of just $120.00!

Mark

Steve Guttag

- posted 10-03-2009 06:40 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Generally, there is a VGA monitor somewhere in the workspace already anyway...and hence the space saving. You can also home in on the specific function of interest and really get some precise readings or leave it in the general mode of showing smaller versions of everything.

Steve

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 10-03-2009 08:22 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So are these things decent enough do do an A chain on?

--jhawk

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: