Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » What is this film measuring machine? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: What is this film measuring machine?
Michael Hossen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-27-2009 08:53 AM      Profile for Michael Hossen   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Hossen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Guys

When I was visiting a new complex my employer just opened this week I came across this film measuring machine. I can't find out any details about it on the net so I thought I'd ask the experts.

It seems like a very nice little unit, runs very smooth and looks well built.

-

Cheers

Michael

|  IP: Logged

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 09-27-2009 08:56 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Moviola, by J&R.

Michael Hossen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-27-2009 09:00 AM      Profile for Michael Hossen   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Hossen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well Tim, that makes it easy. Thanks for that.

Are they actually any good?

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 09-27-2009 09:08 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The best. The multiple-sprocket versions of that (2-6 gang) are called synchronizers, and they were used in the production of most all movies for decades; every editor had one. Until editing went digital.

I have a 4-gang version myself. [Smile]

Michael Hossen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-27-2009 09:21 AM      Profile for Michael Hossen   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Hossen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, cool. So I should just go and steal it from them now? I'll have to work out where they got it from...

Thanks for the info. [Smile]

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 09-27-2009 09:56 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most of the 4 gang units found out here in Mid-America were originally Cinerama units: 3 picture reels and one sound reel. I have one, too. Most were converted to "single wheel" units as an aid to finding frame lines. These have a side made of plywood. Louis

Richard P. May
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-27-2009 12:20 PM      Profile for Richard P. May   Email Richard P. May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Louis,
Were the Cinerama synchronizers you are familiar with set up for the six-perf frames? When we were doing the restoration of HOW THE WEST WAS WON, the negative cutter who was converting the film setup from autoselect to a/b rolls was able to find one of these that had come from the ex MGM studio. They seem to be extremely rare.
In our lab work today, the four-rank synchronizers are important when working with original 3-strip Technicolor negatives (YCM+sound).

DM

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-27-2009 01:21 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, it looks exactly like the Hollywood brand frame/footage counter. The numbers on the sprocket wheel are frames, the counter is feet.

I have seen a number of items where the "Moviola" and the "Hollywood" versions are identical other than the name plate. I don't know if one company made for the other, or they both sourced from the same manufacturer.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 09-27-2009 02:06 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had two in my multiplex, we used them to cut in frame trailers and adv. Very heavy, very well made, very useful. I think they bought them from Jack Roe UK.
I saw some other frame counter elsewhere, not as heavy as them, almost useless because they tend to follow the print [Smile]

Christopher Seo
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-27-2009 06:58 PM      Profile for Christopher Seo   Email Christopher Seo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This editorial type of footage counter is much better than what I've seen for normal cinema use. The sprocket is conveniently 1 foot (16 frames) in circumference, and hollowed out so you can see the film over a lightbox. Works smoothly and reliably even at fast speeds. Reading the feet and frames separately can be a bit tricky at first (just before the sprocket turns 16 frames, the counter already indicates 1 foot).

Damien Taylor
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-27-2009 11:10 PM      Profile for Damien Taylor   Email Damien Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael, which company are you with? I always assumed you must have worked at the Busselton hard-top or drive-in [Confused]

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 09-28-2009 12:49 AM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Formally speaking, this is a one-gang sync block.

As noted above, it's the best kind of footage counter to have. They show up on EBay periodically, though generally 2-to-4 gang versions. Not quite as compact as the 1-gang, but perfectly servicable. Get one.

--jhawk

Michael Hossen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-28-2009 09:27 AM      Profile for Michael Hossen   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Hossen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Michael, which company are you with? I always assumed you must have worked at the Busselton hard-top or drive-in [Confused]
Damien, I'm with Ace. The cinema down here has been an Ace site for the last 4 or so years since we renovated. We're now a three screen.

Thanks everyone for the information, I will be on the lookout for one.

Matt Skilton
Film Handler

- posted 09-28-2009 09:49 AM      Profile for Matt Skilton   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Skilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That does look like one mean footage counter. Hmmmm, when I'm a manager I know what my first purchase order will be [Wink]

Brian Guckian
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2009 05:39 PM      Profile for Brian Guckian   Email Brian Guckian   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This essential equipment continues to be manufactured / supplied as new.

Ask your local service engineer / tech for details [beer]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: