Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Xenex lamp problem (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Xenex lamp problem
Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2009 09:45 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Xenex lamp with an Irem rectifier. They had an overheating issue over the summer. The lamp exhaust failed for about a week before they fixed it. I'm not 100% sure, but I think the problem happened right after that. Now it takes forever to light. I went there tonight to check it out. Turn the lamp switch on and it stikes instantly but will not light. I changed bulbs with a new one. Same thing. It's jumpimg the gap fine in the bulb. It doesn't seem to be arcing anywhere else. Keep turning it on and off. Same thing. Eventually it will light. The igniter sounds "normal". Does the igniter either "work" or not "work"? Could it be weak? Or does it sound like a rectifier issue? Once or twice tonight it lit on the first strike, but 99% of the time it took a few minutes.

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-23-2009 10:42 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you measured the noload voltage of the rectifier

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 09-24-2009 04:29 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing to do with heat would hurt the rectifier.

IF it is heat related. you may have a bad bulb or igniter, Try the spare (new) bulb first. (You do keep a new spare, don't you?) Louis

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-26-2009 07:21 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tried a brand new bulb that night. It took about 20 tries to get it lit. It seemed like a nice strong zap but still took forever. I saw the arc across the electrodes and it looked fine. I'll check the no load voltage.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-27-2009 08:31 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Then verify the no-load DC voltage and if it's say at least 110 volts then the rectifier is probably ok. If it is low... around 85 to 90volts DC you may have an open diode or you may have a rectifier thats wound for 380 volts AC as many were up into the early 90s. If thats the case a booster box is in order and will mnake the lamp ignite on the first strike every time. Also check the insulator in the center of the mirror. If that insulator is alumnium you've found the problem as they like to conduct the high voltage right to ground, if it's the white teflon version then you're ok there and the ignitor is next in line to check.

P.S. Louis... Heat is a semiconductors biggest enemy!! Its thermal cycling that kills the majority of diodes... power surges and lightning are next in line.

Mark

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 09-27-2009 08:54 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He's talking about heat in the lamphouse. That affects the rectifier nil.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-27-2009 09:09 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tim i am also a little suspisius of the rectifier Kniesley has never been noted for their supression of HV and if it has been doing repeated multiple spikes I have seen the HV take out a diode
Also be aware that the older IREMS had a much lower no load voltage around 85volts which was originally what OSRAM speced

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 09-27-2009 09:22 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I think it's entirely a rectifier problem - the RA relay in particular. I was referring to Louis' comment addressing the original post, which suggested the lamphouse heat might have affected the rectifier.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-27-2009 01:08 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Gordon McLeod
Also be aware that the older IREMS had a much lower no load voltage around 85volts which was originally what OSRAM speced

Gord,

No xenon lamp is going to reliably light on 85 volts DC!!! I was told by both the people at IREM (in an e-mail) and at Neumade(who manufactures the booster box)that the Irems made before about 1987 were wound for 380 volts three phase AC which is whats found in Europe and other contenents where the IREMs were the most popular. Irems manufactured after 1987 for export to North America were wound for 208 volts AC three phase and indeed they typically do about 120+ volts DC. John Walsh will also confirm this... I've bought qwuite a few boosters from him.

The other very important item in Xenex-1's is that insulator in the center of the mirror. Has to be the teflon version as the anodize which insulated the alumnium versions has broken down over the years and no longer insulates correctly. Fire one in a dark room some time!!!

Mark

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 09-27-2009 08:33 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Strange. . . the (dreaded) Osram bulbs work just fine at 85 volts. All of my pre 1985 IREM rectifiers are still in daily use and light just fine on the first try. Over 200 in use nearby; all with Osram.

I have never installed a boost kit in my life, even with the 208 down to 190 volts. Louis

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-27-2009 09:51 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All IREMS sold in canada from day one were wound for 208 volts and had the standard 85 volt no load which was the spect no load voltage for many years
Originally it wa by the way 65 volts which the early JOVY rectifers used

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 09-27-2009 11:07 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Same here.. no load is abt. 85VDC. I have several 1985-vintage XCN consoles still running as is. Although, they don't seem to like particular brand bulbs, they have been running fine on whatever Theatre Bulb Supply sends out. Osrams, too.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-27-2009 11:37 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen many bulbs work just fine for the first few hundred hours life and ignition gets harder and harder the older the lamp gets. All of the problems I've experienced were with Irems on Xetron lamphouses of varying sizes and models. At any rate the booster solved the problem in every case. Even immediately lighting up lamps with many thousands of hours on them. I guess were there not a rectifier problem to begin with the booster wouldn't exist and all manufacturers would be building rectifiers with 85 volts no load instead of the typical 120 to 140 volts. [Big Grin]

Mark

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 09-28-2009 12:47 AM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, we have some of those IREMs. (A pair of P1-X80s.) They are indeed intended for 220V (nameplate) operation, and while you can push them some, their components are certainly not rated for 380V (or even 280V), and you would be overvoltaging caps and transformers (and an 80V zener, I think...) and generally redlining components far beyond their design if you were to do so.

(We've modified one by (1) Adding a variac/buck-boost in front to allow continuously variable current adjustment during operation (2) Adding two fans, which cool down the whole thing dramatically and makes me feel a lot better (3) Adding a boost circuit+cap+diode. We really need to finish the mods on the other one...)

--jhawk

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-28-2009 02:28 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Talking about boosting... I have a STRONG "suitcase" switcher which gives me over 140vdc on no load, but can't strike the bulb on the first pulse. Sometimes it takes a good 4 to 8 pulses to finally get the bulb to ignite..even on a new bulb (CXL-20R).

I've even changed out igniters (DC type) and no change with this poor striking. Other consoles in this six-plex have no problems of igniting.

Would a booster do justice for this, or just live with it?

-Monte

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: