Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » screen wrinkles

Author Topic: screen wrinkles
Jeff Else
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-20-2009 12:27 PM      Profile for Jeff Else   Email Jeff Else   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i am installing a lightly used screen that was taken out of a theatre when they switched the house to digital 3d. the screen was stored folded. I've had the screen hung without tension for about 5 days and the folds are still prominent. should i stretch it now? will theses folds go away? any techniques for getting folds out of a screen?

|  IP: Logged

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 09-20-2009 12:57 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The techniques for getting folds out of a screen....buy a new one. We had a screen that was taken down because a show came in that required more pipes than we had in our fly system, so without asking Projection, they took the screen down and FOLDED it. No amount of hanging, stretching, heating (we put it under tention and then used big outdoor heaters with big fans blowing hot air at the screen. Nothing got them out. They were minimized but never completely gone. This was my experience with only one screen -- Technikote I think it was -- so I can't say no screen ever can be "defolded," but my gut is telling me, not a chance. Good luck with it.

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-20-2009 01:03 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When our grid was being rebuilt it was necessary to remove the screen. It was rolled up on the stage and stored in a hallway. After re-hanging it there were no ill effects from the process.

The crew did rebuild the aluminum frame incorrectly the first time so the braces showed as bumps in the screen. Proper construction of the bracing took care of that and everything is back to normal.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 09-20-2009 01:16 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, rolling = success; folding = failure.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-20-2009 08:18 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As for folding...it depends on the screen and surface. Matte screens can be folded, depending on the manufacture. For instance, Hurley can never be folded due to how they seam the screen. However, Harkness and MDI actually SHIP their screens folded!

Steve

Ron Curran
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-20-2009 08:20 PM      Profile for Ron Curran   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Curran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can a silver screen be rolled regularly (to make way for stage use) when you have no loft?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-20-2009 08:22 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can request and pay more to have a Hrrkness screen shipped rolled and they will do it no problem. However if it's going to be installed right away and not sit aorund for weeks then folding smallish screens is fine by me, they know how to do it properly. I always have larger... 24 foot and wider screens shipped rolled. Big screens can be very heavy and hey will settle if they sit for any period of time... especially in warm climates.

Mark

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-21-2009 06:08 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a general rule, NO...Silver screens are, by and large, painted and will mottle if hung and rolled. Try ordering a Silver "roll down" screen and see all of the grief a manufacturer will tell you regarding how they will degrade.

Steve

Ron Curran
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2009 07:39 PM      Profile for Ron Curran   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Curran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Steve.
That virtually rules out 3D in our location. And saves us about $120K for dci conversion.

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2009 08:22 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not if you go with the Dolby 3D. NO silver screen needed. [Smile]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: