Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » 3-D movie bookings

Author Topic: 3-D movie bookings
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 09-18-2009 06:51 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have noticed how tight 3-D film booking have been. Because of the limited amount of theatres that are now capable of playing movies in digital 3-D, It seem only one 3-D film can be released at a time and they are contracted to play for a limited amount of time. I do not know how long AVATUR is booked for in December but does it have a clause in the booking contract, it can play beyond it's scheduled run if it turns out it is doing very well in 3-D and can play longer? If it does not do well, is there an escape clause in the contract, you can pull it and play something else? I had noticed that due to a schedule change for the current Harry Potter movie, it had to wait a couple of weeks to play in IMAX theatres because the 2nd TRANSFORMER film was booked at the time the Harry Potter movie began it 35mm run. I wonder if the same thing will happen with the AVATUR movie?

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

Jonathan Althaus
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-19-2009 04:03 AM      Profile for Jonathan Althaus   Email Jonathan Althaus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It seems that the 3D bookings were very tight in the summer, but seem to be very spread out this fall and winter. Cloudy/Meatballs was this weekend and I dont believe anything else goes wide until Xmas Carol on Nov 6th, then Avatar on Dec 18th. I'm probably mistaken, but I dont think anything else comes out after Avatar until March (Alice in Wonderland). We're opening a 3D screen Oct 22nd, and unfortunately our competitor is booked for Alice, so we're hoping for Avatar as our first new 3D film.

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-19-2009 10:53 AM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Toy Story 1 and 2 in 3D double feature arrives in October. Then some markets will get The Nightmare Before Christmas in 3D.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: