Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Home made red light optical conversion (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Home made red light optical conversion
Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-18-2009 05:54 AM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Several months ago, Inspired by Sydney projectionist and local legend Bob Gamlin of Walkie Talkie pictures and the Sydney Film Festival. I decided to give this a go.

It involved a 3w red led, 10 degree lens, heatsink and a power supply from Jaycar electronics (unfortunatly the led is no longer stocked) total cost less than Aust$100 with a battery eliminator that was lying around.

All that I did was remove the existing excier lamp in the victoria 5 and eventually fix the red led in its place.
 -

The results are suprisingly clean and natural sounding, as yet we have still not bothered with a new A chain. The level easly matches the SR*D when we switch from one format to another.

|  IP: Logged

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-18-2009 06:46 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did something approximately the same for several open air venuew where we show some festivals in simple stereo. I used a conventional stereo cell with an off the street Laser pointer and a small modified cylinder to mount the pointer inside. It is suprisingly clear. I used a 9V DC power supply for the laser pointer. It's a cheap solution which is a compromise of course but since these are open air small village venues the client had little money to spend. Hooked the cell on a small tapco mixer (using Mic input) in two separate channels and a small equaliser send to the amp and the speakers does the job fine. 3 years working with no problems each year (just a regular check before te festivals although just typical check). Congrats.
Demetris

Damien Taylor
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-18-2009 12:26 PM      Profile for Damien Taylor   Email Damien Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This looks almost exactly like what I did with my 1040, except I don't see nearly as much blu-tack. Like you, mostly built the whole thing at Jaycar. I have almost no electrical knowledge so I barely managed to cobble my bright red mess together.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-18-2009 01:04 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Obviously, there is enough red light illumination to shoot through the slit lens to get the required brightness for the stock photocell reader to send the same voltage to the preamp section of the processor as if you were still using exciter lamp.....

That was the big downfall with Jaxlights - not bright enough for existing slit lens and photocell pickups .. thus, the preamps had to be cranked wide open and tonnage of noise were induced into the system...

Pretty slick little mod though .. my congratulations to you ! - save some dough on those exciter lamps being spendy as they are..

-Monte

Scott Christopher
Film Handler

- posted 09-18-2009 08:50 PM      Profile for Scott Christopher   Email Scott Christopher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We did it with various kalee projectors without any problems. We used 1watt(all that was available at the time)luxeon star lambertian without the lens/reflector. Excellent results. If we used the jaycar 1watt LED, we'd get noise from the switchmode supply as the gain had to be cranked up.

Stan Gunn
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2009 10:20 PM      Profile for Stan Gunn   Author's Homepage   Email Stan Gunn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all i have also done many converts useing the 3 watt leds,when useing the switch mode supplys I have had to fit a electro cap across the supply around 16v150mic stops all nasty noises.
I have have systems running for over 4 years with no probs after the need for the fitting of the cap was found.
Kalee sound lens have a higher slit than most as their pre amps were made without the smpte curve, adjusting the slit realy perks up the sound,but will lower the gain a little.

STAN.

Damien Taylor
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2009 02:51 AM      Profile for Damien Taylor   Email Damien Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm now getting killer hum and a little bit of soundtrack coming out my speakers. My setup is Wallwart>LED driver>LED-Lux 3W, and the other side is a solar cell stuck straight in a mic input. After the laughter subsides, can anyone suggest some strategies to kill this very loud hum?

Gavin Lewarne
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2009 03:54 AM      Profile for Gavin Lewarne   Email Gavin Lewarne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
is the shielding from the solar cell properly connected at both ends? (chassis of projector to ground terminal of your MIC input)

Is it mains hum or something else?

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-23-2009 04:21 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wal-warts could be having a bit of ripple issues - not the purest reproduction of smooth DC current..

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2009 07:37 AM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Damien,

To determine the source of the hum:
place a card between the light source and the solar cell. A simple business card where the film goes will do the trick.

If the hum stays, it is an input and grounding issue

If the hum goes away, it is a ripple in the power supplied to the LED

Hope this helps to isolate the cause of your distress.

KEN

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 09-23-2009 03:34 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good advice Ken.

As to the LED, as I've posted on another thread and more than .1 Volt peak to peak ripple on the LED supply can be clearly heard in the audience.

LEDs are direct radiators of anything you put into them unlike exciter lamps where the light output is an indirect product of heating a wire to incandescence by passing current through it as in a toaster.

Tuomas Merila
Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2009 06:40 PM      Profile for Tuomas Merila   Author's Homepage   Email Tuomas Merila   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

I'm not an expert on electronics and sadly must admit I really don't know very well what I'm doing at most times. However, an earlier experience has shown me that the problem with ripple, that was mentioned, can possibly be easily fixed.

We installed a couple of red leds made by some small company (indeed, I'm almost certain they were hand made individually) that could be directly put into the same slots the original incandescents lamps were seated on the projectors, and thus there was no problem with correct alignment of the led.

First, we tried to use the original exciter lamp power source of the projector to power the LEDs but that did not work out at all for a reason or another, so I resorted to buying a couple of regulated power supplies (15 Euro each) from a local electronics shop, with ability to provide correct voltage and enough current for the LEDs.

Now, on one projector everything was fine - just installed the LED and wired the power source to it - perfect sound quality. The other projector was a different case - a horrible background noise could be heard when film was not loaded. Swapped the power supplies (supposedly identical), and the problem moved to the other machine.

Now, we were supplied, along with the LEDs, with a couple of capacitors that were supposed to be installed if there was a problem with changeover. I assume that meant some noise occurring when one light is switched off and the another one on at the changover but since we omitted that (switching the LEDs on using a manual switch and doing the changeover at the processor only), there was no need to install them at all at first. BUT, as the ripple problem was noticed, we did install the capacitors anyway - and that helpded, everything was perfect on both projectors after that.

While my understanding is quite limited, and I don't know how exactly correct the capacitors used must be, it appears to be fairly easy to mitigate a problem caused by a not-so-good power supply by using them on the power input. So, if you have ripple problems and have some electronics knowledge (more than I have), that could be the way to get rid of them.

--Tuomas

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2009 07:25 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget to check that the wall wart can supply enough current, as well bas the correct voltage. Wall warts are usually rather hummy, anyway. Any cap. you put across the LED must be rated to handle the voltage, some head room is always good. I would start with 1000 mfd, and increase it if needed.

Damien Taylor
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2009 09:55 PM      Profile for Damien Taylor   Email Damien Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all the help guys! I think it is both a grounding issue with the solar cell and the crummy power supply of the LED. I managed to fix the cell grounding with some wires. I'm scrapping the current power supply I am using, and getting a better one. Is there anything I should look out for when buying a good power supply?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-26-2009 10:59 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The real bad aspect of this is the fact that you retain the slit lens and solor cell... The two worst items in the whole A Chain!!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: