Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » The Informant over exposed?

Author Topic: The Informant over exposed?
Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 09-18-2009 03:53 AM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just watched The Informant and I felt like a significant portion of the movie was over exposed. There are many scenes where characters are standing in front of sunlight windows and they are being washed out by the light.

The reason I posted this here is to see if anyone else noticed this or if it might be the sign of a problem.

If this was intentional, I'm curious to know if anyone has any rational for why Soderbergh shot so many scenes that way.

|  IP: Logged

Paavo Mardi
Film Handler

- posted 09-18-2009 08:14 AM      Profile for Paavo Mardi   Email Paavo Mardi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I´ve also seen it on different optically made prints. Maybe labs are trying to gain picture contrast and color saturation? We had two prints of "Ice age 3" and both had overexposed Fox openings. One reel of our "Public enemies" had too saturated colors.

Karl Borowski
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-18-2009 08:32 AM      Profile for Karl Borowski   Email Karl Borowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not that I have seen it myself, but, your description doesn't sound like over-exposure.

Most likely it is a bad step in the optical printing process. . .

Richard P. May
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-18-2009 09:57 AM      Profile for Richard P. May   Email Richard P. May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen it either (and after reading this morning's LA Times review, don't expect to), but this is typical Soderburg. He acts as his own cinematographer, and uses odd processes and lighting for effect. Remember THE GOOD GERMAN, where the publicity said it was made to look like B&W films of the forties, but it ended up looking like a bad print from a multi generation dupe?
The labs don't control how the prints look (on purpose, anyway). The filmmaker gives final approval and prints are supposed to duplicate that result.

DM

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-18-2009 10:38 AM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking the same thing when I screened it. The whole movie had a fogging appearance to it once it got past the opening WB logo. Since the entire feature appeared this way I chalked it up to stylization.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-18-2009 01:34 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was probably shot on video and therefore the highs (brights) are clipped.

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-18-2009 01:56 PM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was shot on video with the REDone camera. Soderberg is Mr. Video.

Joe Elliott
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-18-2009 07:39 PM      Profile for Joe Elliott   Email Joe Elliott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had a similar print of up where the first two reels were too dark, and the last 3 were too bright. Also our print of the Ugly Truth is too bright also. The colors are nice and rich, but it seems like the contrast was turned way up when it was made. Each were noted on my film reports, but were not bad enough to request replacement reels. Both were TES, but I'm not sure which labs they may have been printed at. Might be worth looking into if it is happening more often.

Edit: Oh, but by the way, our print of Informant looks fine, so it is probably a lab issue.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-18-2009 07:45 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
How bright are your screens, Joe? An underlit screen (like a drive-in) would probably look dandy on clipped highlights like is being discussed above.

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-18-2009 08:11 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The trailers to The Informant looked "overexposed" as well. I had just changed a xenon bulb in the big house, including the focus adjustments using the "Loony Toons" method. The first trailer to hit the screen was The Informant and I had thought I had the picture way too bright. As these are Rentecs, that's somewhat impossible to do. The following trailer pretty much conformed that the light was as bright as it's going to get...
I had read somewhere that Radio City Music Hall used to get prints that were intentionally printed to appear brighter on screen due to light issues.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 09-18-2009 09:10 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In addition to shooting on the RED One camera and serving as his own cinematographer, Soderbergh also has a tendancy to shoot available-light. I don't know about The Informant in particular, but this sort of thing is consistent with his past films.

--jhawk

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-18-2009 11:19 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
That's because Sodaburger isn't a real filmmaker...on both accounts.

David Despain
Film Handler

- posted 09-19-2009 02:26 AM      Profile for David Despain   Email David Despain   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had a customer complain tonight about the lighting in The Informant, so I watched it the last round, and it does look pretty bad.

Joe Elliott
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-20-2009 01:32 AM      Profile for Joe Elliott   Email Joe Elliott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't remember on Up, I think it was just a high brightness, if it was, that would have looked ok on a drive-in screen, but Ugly Truth, it is more like the contrast is turned up. The dark areas would still be too dark, but the bright areas, were lacking a lot of detail. Drive-in prints are just an increase in overall brightness, and that's not what it looked like. This just looked like someone goofed, either filmmaker, or the lab.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: