Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Surround EX Back Channel Power Requirements/Specs

Author Topic: Surround EX Back Channel Power Requirements/Specs
Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-16-2009 12:32 AM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did some searching and couldn't find the answer to this. With regular left/right surround the array should be designed so that each channel can hit 100 dBc in the center of the auditorium.

The question is, what are you designing for with the back surround channel? I guess it's a 2 part question, first what is the peak output level of the back surround channel by itself (rbs and lbs combined)? The second part of the question is where in the auditorium should this peak be hit? Is it 2/3 of the way to the front (opposite of a stage channel)?

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-16-2009 06:11 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are close...each side should be able to hit 102dBc to half-way across the auditorium.

The rear channel should be able to hit 105dBc 1/3 of the way down the auditorium. This normally puts a significantly greater demand on the rear speakers.

When thinking about the levels remember...regardless of EX or 5.1 system, given the same signal, the SAME level should be heard in the theatre. Thus if the film has equal content in the two surround channels and you have a 5.1 system and that level measures 85dBc total (which ends up being 82dBc per side) then if you play it in EX...the level should also be 85dBc but all of the content comes from the rear.

Steve

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 09-16-2009 06:36 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a practical matter, large amps are cheap; make them all big amps. Then you have spares to borrow anywhere.

There is more profit in the larger amps for the factories. Therefore they can be more heavily discounted and they become a reasonable buy. Louis

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-16-2009 07:54 AM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As mentioned.....there is power difference in L/R to Rear surround....also in some cinemas we have lot more surround speaker on rear wall than on back, so that comes we must put bigger speakers on back wall, or more efficient to get bigger level from it also?

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-16-2009 08:06 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But why would you want to invest today in the EX?

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-16-2009 08:34 AM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The investment is really just an extra amplifier. I have an SA-10 adapter literally laying around.

I think pretty much all current generation processors have the EX decoding capability built in (or at least as an option).

I also assume that at some point, there will be discrete back surround mixes available with digital cinema. Especially since DCI specifies 16 audio channels. 3 could be used for the alternate discrete back channel surround mix.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: