Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Potts platter motor problems

Author Topic: Potts platter motor problems
Louis Belloisy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-14-2009 08:49 AM      Profile for Louis Belloisy   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Belloisy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, my main problem in our booth (6 screens) is the older Potts platter motors. I have rebuilt them over the years using parts from scrapped motors. I have two motors that run too fast. No matter how i try to adjust them, they will try to sling the film off the platter during the latter part of the film when it gets lighter.

The motor consists of the normal motor workings plus a diode and a large resister. would either of these components cause the speed problem. any help would be appreciated.

louis

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-14-2009 09:03 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The diode is there in payout to cut the voltage in half essentially so if this is a timming problem the diode is probably ok. One time long long ago Bob Potts did send me some higher ohm resistiors to cut speed down on some motors. It worked ok. There is also smaller diameter sleeve available that interchanges with the present sleeve for the fast running motors. Did you install new brushes???

Mark

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-14-2009 10:33 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark said "The diode is there in payout to cut the voltage in half essentially"
It is in line all the time the resistor is switched in and out

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 09-14-2009 11:02 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
#1 level the offending platters

#2 buy Brad's platter kit that keeps from slinging film.

#3 adjust the feed out switch to minimize wrapping. (Pull the switch as far away from the actuator arm as you can.)

Normally the correct operation of the microswitch will minimize the start/stop into a fast/slow.

Good Luck. Louis

Louis Belloisy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-14-2009 06:22 PM      Profile for Louis Belloisy   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Belloisy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks everyone, yes i did change the brushes.

i will try the adjustment of the switch.

thanks,

louis

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: