Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Ingolorious Basterds on film? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Ingolorious Basterds on film?
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-12-2009 10:22 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
From the movie review forum:
quote: Bobby Henderson
Apparently the distributor had the stipulation any movie theater that had any film projection capability at all had to show the movie on 35mm.
Is this true? Can anyone shed some light on this?

|  IP: Logged

Kevin Fairchild
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-12-2009 11:47 PM      Profile for Kevin Fairchild   Email Kevin Fairchild   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bogus. We can run 35mm, but played it in 2k.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-13-2009 01:23 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not making this up. The Carmike 8 here in Lawton has all 8 of its screens D-cinema equipped. Yet the theater received only a 35mm print of Inglorius Basterds.

Only 2 of the Carmike 8's houses (number 5 and number 7) have 35mm projection left in operation. The projectors from the other six auditoriums are still up there in the booth "in moth balls."

The GM there has been a good friend of mine for more than 15 years. He doesn't bullshit me on stuff like this. It would have been better for him to get a D-cinema JPEG2000 virtual print, particularly because more people on his staff would have been able to play it. But with the theater playing it only on film, and with the ever changing turnover in employees noted, only he and perhaps one other person is still able to thread 35mm. This friend of mine, the GM, doesn't trust anyone else to do it. When I saw the movie, he was repairing a projector bearing beforehand. Out of all the people I know personally, I don't know anyone who works longer hours than this guy. Carmike Cinemas is VERY LUCKY to have someone like this working for them.

Anyway, the film projection looked pretty darned good as it usually does. The audio just wasn't 5.1 digital.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 09-13-2009 10:19 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The experience of one theater in Lawton doesn't extrapolate to "Everyone with a working 35mm projector must play this on film".

In my early days on Film-Tech I made a statement along the lines of Cinemark 17 in Springfield was still running an original print of some movie after something like 30 weeks and it looked like new. I was immediately challenged to provide proof that Cinemark had not received a replacement print. I've been nailed on that kind of stuff more than once. As I probably should.

The 35mm print I saw was about as high in image quality as it seems to get these days. I wouldn't be surprised if they did a 4K intermediate. I suppose I could state as fact "The print I saw was 4K" but I won't go there without any actual data to back me up. [Razz]

quote:
"You must learn to govern your passions -- They will be your undoing."
[Big Grin]

Mark Strube
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2009 10:23 AM      Profile for Mark Strube   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Strube   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to IMDB, the digital intermediate was 2K... but I don't know how accurate they are on stuff like that. It is a great-looking print.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 09-13-2009 10:31 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Over in the Hey You Suck topic I posted about a friends experience at his Auburn (AL) Wynnsong experience with Basterds on film. It is my understanding that all Carmike's keep at least one 35mm screen (even if no one knows how to run it).

It has been my observation here that Carmike uses its 35mm screen mostly for filler. Maybe an edict came down from Columbus to put the 35mm house to use with a potential moneymaker. That said, it appears the 35mm house in Montgomery is running it digital, but I haven't been there to check.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 09-13-2009 10:44 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carmike Cinemas is VERY LUCKY to have someone like this working for them.
Indeed. Jack is one of a kind. And there are none more gracious. I serviced his theatres back in the Video Triple and Showcase days. We are still friends to this day.

Jake Spell
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2009 04:11 PM      Profile for Jake Spell   Email Jake Spell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Carmike 8 I used to work has all digital 3 35mm projectors just in case and received a 35mm print of basterds.

Carmike Cinemas is VERY LUCKY to have someone like this working for them.

Very true considering how bad Carmike treats their employees

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-13-2009 05:53 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For those who have both D-cinema and film, how do you decide what format to book, assuming that both are available? I can imagine that this might be a difficult decision to make without any way to know in advance the condition of the 35mm print that you might receive (much less the quality of the lab work).

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-13-2009 06:05 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I made a movie, I'd want it to be shown digitally at as many venues as possible since many of today's managers and projectionsts are incompetent and would ruin my movie. I would only give film to theaters where people I know or know of worked in the booth. And I'd try to make it 70mm as well while I'm at it.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-13-2009 06:12 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: David Stambaugh
The experience of one theater in Lawton doesn't extrapolate to "Everyone with a working 35mm projector must play this on film".

Maybe there just weren't enough digital prints so they sent a film print. I could see that happening when a movie is more popular than the studio expects it to be, and I think "I.B." pretty much exceeded all expectations.

Kevin Fairchild
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2009 06:27 PM      Profile for Kevin Fairchild   Email Kevin Fairchild   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Update:

I guess our booker told the distributor that our 35mm projectors were inoperable.

Having a digital shortage doesn't make sense to me. It would be easier to make extra digital copies then film copies.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-13-2009 06:33 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
Maybe there just weren't enough digital prints so they sent a film print.
There is no limit to the copies a digital print can have.

Joe Elliott
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2009 07:39 PM      Profile for Joe Elliott   Email Joe Elliott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe somebody screwed up and ordered way too many 35mm prints. How far in advance do they have to order them?

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-13-2009 11:51 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe R: No, but there are sometimes not enough hard drives containing digital prints to serve the demand. A couple of guys at the Rocky Mountain NATO convention last week were saying they'd installed digital, but were sometimes having trouble getting "prints" so they had to use 35mm sometimes.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: