Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Reflector repair exchange question.

Author Topic: Reflector repair exchange question.
Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-11-2009 10:40 AM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a damaged reflector, see pics below. Does anyone know of a repair exchange provider for this reflector?
Console / Lamphouse is XCN-35
Reflector diameter is approximately 11.5 inches
 -
 -

|  IP: Logged

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 09-11-2009 11:08 AM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eric, contact Dick Niccum at Lighting Images Technology, 951-786-9999

Most reflectors (if not Dichroic or "cold coated" can be recoated with varying degrees of success.

In any event, Dick will probably have a good used or maybe even new reflector in stock.

Tell him Tony sent ya. [Big Grin]

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-11-2009 11:22 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Neumade Xetron should be able to provide one otherwise UltraFlat can re polish it

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-11-2009 11:44 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Big Sky can also provide replacements for that type of reflector.

Steve

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 09-11-2009 12:11 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You have a wonderful opportunity to upgrade to the Big Sky version of that reflector that eliminates the spyder (& has a lot more light.)

P/N BUR10spbs

Louis

Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-11-2009 12:14 PM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any contact info for Big Sky?

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-11-2009 03:35 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our Big Sky lamp house is terrific!

http://bigskyindustries.net/

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-11-2009 06:40 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, either Neumade or Big Sky can provide a much higher quality reflector "conversion kit". Either also do away with that nasty spider supporting the front end of the lamp. That spider is NLA if you ever need one!!! Expect your light to at least double. In some instances I've even seen it triple. Make sure your exhaust blower and internal lampshouse blower are running at a par before installing the new reflector!!

Mark

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 09-12-2009 12:15 AM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Louis Bornwasser
You have a wonderful opportunity to upgrade to the Big Sky version of that reflector that eliminates the spyder (& has a lot more light.)

P/N BUR10spbs

Louis

Louis, do you sell that reflector? Can you PM me with price? [Big Grin]

I have a Xetron lamphouse and would love to eliminate that spyder. [Smile]

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 09-12-2009 01:05 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Make sure you don't have an earlier version of that console, wherein the blower only runs when the bulb is on, or your new reflector will suffer the same fate. In that older version, the lamp switch only powers the blower motor. When the blower gets up to speed, the airflow switch pulls in to activate the rectifier AC contactor. It was really a backwards way to do it.

I've only seen one of the Big-Sky kits and I liked it, although, you can no longer use the black pivot lock knob because it doesn't fit underneath the new reflector. Either Big Sky doesn't supply a replacement lock knob in the kit, or they left it out of the one I had. Anyway, we got a wing nut and fender washer from the hardware store to make it work.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 09-15-2009 09:21 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How do recoated reflectors compare price wise to new?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-16-2009 09:42 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Almost the same price as a new one Bill. Depending on how much your dealer discounts a new one can actually be alot cheaper. Another down side is that they can't really do a Dicro coating either... You will have to add in a heat filter driving the expense up even higher. I've seen a number of reflectors come back from Ultraflat and they do look really really nice though... Only for the obsolete stuff.

Mark

Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2009 02:46 AM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tony Bandiera Jr
contact Dick Niccum at Lighting Images Technology
Thanks, got a reflector from Dick at 50% of the Big Sky price. Unfortunately this theatre has a slim budget, but I'll be happy to have some light back on the screen.

Thanks for the tip on the blowers, I'll check but I think I remember them running constantly.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: