Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Are Christie Ultramittents Interchangeable Between P35C and P35GP

Author Topic: Are Christie Ultramittents Interchangeable Between P35C and P35GP
Barbara Beall
Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2009 02:59 PM      Profile for Barbara Beall   Email Barbara Beall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was hoping someone may know if the Christie P35C and P35GP can swap ultramittents. We have both models. Unfortunately one of our P35C ultramittents seized and we don't have a spare*. We can pull out the ultramittent from the P35GP to compare but we would prefer not to if it's not necessary. The manuals list the parts as having different part numbers.

*On a side note we're having a hard time finding parts for our P35C from American Cinema Equipment. The part numbers in our manuals don't match anything they supply. We've cross-referenced by description with the techs and they've said that those parts cannot be repair-exchanged and we have to send it out and stay down while they complete repairs. We've also been told Christie no longer services this model. Would anyone know of any alternatives?

|  IP: Logged

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2009 03:57 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Barbara,

Welcome to film-tech. Can't answer your question on the Ultramittents, but I can tell you that if you want to get current parts information for 35mm give Jim Graton at Christie a call (1-714-503-3381). I do know that Christie has discontinued at least one key component for the P35C and from the looks of it the P35GP aswell; the shutter gear box.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-07-2009 04:15 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think the gearbox was ever in the "GP" as it was the "gearless projector" the "GP" part. The "C" was the curved-gate version.

I believe, though Mark G. here would know, that all of the Ultramittents are inter-changeable. The difference would only be what gear/pulley is affixed to the non-op side...but that uses the same three screws.

Steve

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2009 06:07 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought that's what GP stood for, but on page 1 of the P35GP parts manual in the manuals section it shows a gearbox, but upon closer inspection of those pages it lists model# P35 at the top. Looks like we need a correction to the title of those links. The first 2 pages pertain to the P35 and the 3rd page pertains to the P35C.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-07-2009 06:11 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, they are. Just just exchange the gear for the pulley or vice versa... The three screws can be somewhat stubborn to remove. I've had to drill the heads off a number fo times. I rebuild them as well.

Mark

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-07-2009 11:20 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The three taper head flywheel screws are Metric Allens .. and torqued down pretty tight. Just have to be careful when trying to loosen them up that you get the right metric allen (I think it's either the 2mm or 3mm size...been awhile since I did one...)

...odd though, while the rest of the machine's Allens are SAE.

I put a GPS assembly on an old Christie 35 and had to do the sprocket/nylon gear changeout without problems. Just that one has to do the sprocket shoe assembly reattachment as well that bolts on the Ultramittent frame...

Barbara Beall
Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2009 11:14 AM      Profile for Barbara Beall   Email Barbara Beall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you! You've all been very helpful - we actually found a brand new spare in a spot it didn't belong and we were able to get it back up. Thank you Jeremy for the Christie contact - this will be a big help [thumbsup]

And shutter gearboxes are the bane of my existence. Over the years we've used up our spares and modified a couple gently damaged ones. I hate to say it but I almost want to go digital. [Frown] In my opinion these projectors are not so outdated that I shouldn't be able to get a shutter gearbox.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-08-2009 04:23 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barbara,

Call Dick Niccum at Lighting Images Technology in California. He is rebuilding Christie shutter gearboxes. Dick is also on these threads once in a blue moon....

Mark

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2009 05:43 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
Call Dick Niccum at Lighting Images Technology in California. He is rebuilding Christie shutter gearboxes. Dick is also on these threads once in a blue moon....
Now that I didn't know. I'll be giving him a call too. I've rebuilt a few of these myself,but finding a proper oil/grease seal for the main drive shaft has not been easy. The shaft is 10mm, but housing bore for the outer diameter of the seal is standard.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 09-08-2009 10:48 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark G
Dick also rebuild all brands of intermittants and he does great work at very reasonable rates!!

Randy Bowden
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2009 06:39 PM      Profile for Randy Bowden   Email Randy Bowden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I run the repair shop for American Cinema Equipment. Who did you talk to here? I repair these once in a while for AMC and Regal.

I do have some dead shutter gear box assy's that belong to us. Once I go through these, I will have some spares that can be sent out for repair/exchange. You can't get parts anymore, so that limits what I can do to a certain degree. I can replace the oil seals, o-rings and bearings. That's all pretty common stuff. With the exception of that oil seal on the main drive shaft as mentioned earlier.

Barbara Beall
Film Handler

- posted 09-11-2009 07:25 PM      Profile for Barbara Beall   Email Barbara Beall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't remember who I spoke with, it was a little while back. I've got a guy here who rebuilds the intermittents and we think we can get a shutterbox together with the spare parts we have laying around. If that doesn't work out well I'll give you a call Randy!

If anyone has the contact info for Dick Niccum please message it to me. [Smile]

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 09-11-2009 11:54 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barbara, contact Dick Niccum at Lighting Images Technology, 951-786-9999

Tell him Tony sent you.

[Big Grin]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: