Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » converting FP-20's to manual operation

Author Topic: converting FP-20's to manual operation
Jeff Else
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2009 06:47 PM      Profile for Jeff Else   Email Jeff Else   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am installing 2 kinoton FP-20's into a booth for fully manual operation. They were previously installed running on kelmar deluxe automations, so have been somewhat hacked on the inside. firstly, they are missing their original start/stop buttons. is there something standard these can be replaced with? i'm sure the buttons from kinoton would be $$$$ and radioshack is closer. more questions to follow...

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-01-2009 07:09 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't put Radio Shack grade stuff in there...unless you crave problems. RS is what you use in a pinch, not by design.

What vintage machines are yours? Are all of the 6-pole relays in tact?

The start/stop circuit is pretty basic though the drawing makes it look more complicated than it is. There are two main relays...one for the "Motor" functions and one for the "Changeover" functions...they each have mating latching relays to form the "stop" or "close" circuit respectively.

Provide as much info as possible to increase your likelihood of getting good advice.

Steve

Jeff Else
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2009 07:48 PM      Profile for Jeff Else   Email Jeff Else   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the machines are Kinoton FP-20's F-Nr.'s 003556 and 003557. The theatre they came out of was built circa 1975. Okay, I will not go the cheap route. I know i need start-stop buttons, what about changeover, was that another switch? if so i will need that, too. I believe the relays are all in tact, at least the machines worked perfectly when removed from operation about 6 months ago.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-01-2009 11:36 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the '70s...yes there would have been red and green round pushbuttons. Norelco/Kinoton, for some reason seem to look for the oddest places to put user controls. The motor buttons would be facing the operator just below the soundhead. The changeover buttons would be on the front of the column (facing the audience). Note too, if you end up putting in modern RSSD soundheads, the button locations below the soundhead will become obstructed. All of the buttons would then move to the front of the column. There is nothing to stop you, however, from mounting the buttons in their own box and put them on the front wall for easier controls (like the later DP75s did).

Note too...you want to match any schematic you find with your actual unit! They have varied over the years...especially if the projectors were made for a particular function. Some run on 6V, some run on 24V (control systems). I do advise that if you are putting into a changeover operation that you consider replacing the changeover dousers with the current style. The Norelco "lollipop" style were most unsatisfactory designs.

Steve

Now depending on your machines, you may find going to Kinoton for the switches will be easier than trying to source the buttons. That is, some had at least 4 poles on them since the changeover circuit for the other projector could run through them too.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: