Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » 5th Todd-AO 70mm Film Festival, Karlsruhe, Germany - 2-4 Oct. 2009

Author Topic: 5th Todd-AO 70mm Film Festival, Karlsruhe, Germany - 2-4 Oct. 2009
Thomas Hauerslev
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2009 01:33 AM      Profile for Thomas Hauerslev   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Hauerslev   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The program page:

http://www.in70mm.com/festival/2009/index.htm

12 films in 70mm in 3 days, in the majestic 70mm format on a huge curved screen.

This is the opportunity to see som every rare films in 70mm and 6-track stereo

-, and the beer is very good too.

|  IP: Logged

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 09-01-2009 08:50 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting how many are 35mm blowups.

"Faubourg 36" - Friday, 2. October 2009, 20:15 ("Paris 36" here in the states)

This is a 2008 release. Are they still blowing up 35mm prints for exhibition in Europe (or just France) or was this done specifically for the festival?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-01-2009 09:10 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thomas,

Hows about bringing one of those nifty 70mm film festivals over to the USA on tour some time????

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2009 12:32 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or how about London? there's never any 70mm on here. I reckon the Empire would be up for doing a weekend or midweek, they now have nine screens so can do multiple screens of something they would otherwise be obliged to have in Empire 1.

Thanks by the way Thomas for pointing out on your site that Cleopatra was on in 70mm at the NFT, the BFI website wasn't clear about it. Possibly the best-looking film I've ever seen, sounded great as well.

Thomas Hauerslev
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2009 11:58 PM      Profile for Thomas Hauerslev   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Hauerslev   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Program is expanding. Two veterans from german 65mm movies are attending. Jean Rene from Arane, in Paris, is also atending to talk about new 70mm print of Paris 36.

Ramon Lamarca Marques
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2009 05:22 PM      Profile for Ramon Lamarca Marques   Email Ramon Lamarca Marques   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
I reckon the Empire would be up for doing a weekend or midweek, they now have nine screens so can do multiple screens of something they would otherwise be obliged to have in Empire 1
How sad to read what they have done to the Empire, 9 screens, which are extremelly small. Well, another good cinema gone, luckilly screen one is still intact (for how long?). However, I read or was told that one of their 70mm projectors is gone and so they might not be able to show some prints. There was a project to show 70mm prints at the Empire some years ago but it did not work out.

quote: Martin McCaffery
This is a 2008 release. Are they still blowing up 35mm prints for exhibition in Europe (or just France) or was this done specifically for the festival?
I believe it was done just for France. It is a gorgeous print and shows how good 70mm prints look, even with blow-ups from cropped 35mm negative. Again we go back to the subject of textures and I agree that few people will notice it but I do notice a lot the difference between screened film and digital, and between 70mm and 2k digital my choice is very clear.

Ben Wales
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2009 03:12 AM      Profile for Ben Wales   Email Ben Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Ramon Lamarca Marques
However, I read or was told that one of their 70mm projectors is gone and so they might not be able to show some prints. There was a project to show 70mm prints at the Empire some years ago but it did not work out.
They still have one complete DP70 at the Empire, although it was partly dismantled to make way for a stand by 2K (3D) Digital, so it could be re-installed if they want too and they still have the 3rd DP in storage as spares, the 2nd DP70 is at the Picturehouse Cinema in Greenwich (UK) and has not been used for the past few years.

Is any one planning to attend the Todd-AO Festival this year?, sadly just about all the films are in German this year, when in the past there was a mix of English & German sound tracks [Frown] .

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2009 07:54 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ramon to be fair to Empire the refurbishment looks very nice (although the Ben and Jerry's is in a crap position). I haven't been inside the new screens but if they're anything like Empire 3 they'll be very nicely done. Also, people go and watch films at Odeon Mezzanine and Panton Street for £10 which I find bizarre because they're tiny and a bit grotty, it surprises me how busy both are sometimes.

I think if anything the new screens mean Empire 1 is likely to stay preserved, they must have had a decent summer with both Star Trek and Potter playing there instead of Odeon. It would be nice to see some classics and/or 70mm there again, shame they don't have the two DP70s up anymore.

With 70mm releases of English-language films in Europe did they dub or subtitle them, or both?

Ben Wales
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-24-2009 04:53 AM      Profile for Ben Wales   Email Ben Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone form the UK/US planning to see this festival, I shall be there [thumbsup] .

Ryan Air still have Seats for their London Stansted - Barden/Barden Flights for that weekend from about £80.

Christian Appelt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-24-2009 03:47 PM      Profile for Christian Appelt   Email Christian Appelt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Caleb Johnstone-Cowan

With 70mm releases of English-language films in Europe did they dub or subtitle them, or both?

In Germany, they were dubbed. PORGY AND BESS 70 prints had subtitles for the lyrics. For rereleases (restored versions) of LAWRENCE and SPARTACUS subtitled prints were available IIRC.

Many musicals from the mid-1960s had dubbed musical numbers, possibly because of the kids, I recall CHITTY CHITTY BANG BANG, DOCTOR DOLITTLE, but also THE SOUND OF MUSIC (which was also cut to play down the Nazi content).

The worst dubbing of musical numbers was done to SINGIN'IN THE RAIN. You don't want to hear it. There are some surviving Tech IB prints with all the glowing colors, but who wants to screen a dubbed version?

The only case of a musical film that had to be dubbed was MY FAIR LADY. For the German version, they had to find a suitable dialect for the Cockney parts, the whole 6-track dubbing took about half a year and is still quite impressive.

Don't know about other European countries, but once I screened the last reel of SPARTACUS when suddenly the Roman guards started speaking French for a minute... [Smile]

Fabian Schreyer
Film Handler

- posted 09-28-2009 06:41 PM      Profile for Fabian Schreyer   Email Fabian Schreyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Christian Appelt

The worst dubbing of musical numbers was done to SINGIN'IN THE RAIN. You don't want to hear it. There are some surviving Tech IB prints with all the glowing colors, but who wants to screen a dubbed version?

Couldn't these prints easily be "recycled", by just re-recording the original soundtrack on the magnetic soundtracks?

Christian Appelt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-30-2009 04:27 PM      Profile for Christian Appelt   Email Christian Appelt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would be possible, but I don't know if mag striping and recording for 35mm is done any more. The last mag striping I saw was on some workprints in the early 1980s, to put a temporary sound mix on an edited workprint.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: