Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Filmguard sample (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Filmguard sample
Sally Ann Burgess
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-30-2009 04:16 PM      Profile for Sally Ann Burgess   Email Sally Ann Burgess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Being a bit cheeky here, but is there anyone in Australia or here in little NZ who would be grand enough to send me over a small sample of FG? Of course I will cover all costs. I'm desperate to try it!

|  IP: Logged

Michael Hossen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2009 09:17 AM      Profile for Michael Hossen   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Hossen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Sally,

I just purchased a bottle to try out over here... I thought there might have been a sample bottle that I could get to try, but in the end I just ended buying a bottle... For the amount of use you get out of a bottle the price isn't really that bad. Plus, you know it's gonna be good! [Smile]

Cheers

Michael

Andy Bajew
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2009 10:29 AM      Profile for Andy Bajew   Email Andy Bajew   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree completely with Michael, Sally. By the time you pay for all the costs required to get it shipped to you, you might as well just spend the $32 for the bottle. Even if you find you don't like it for cleaning your prints (a near impossible thought), there are tons of other uses for it within the projection booth.

Michael Hossen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2009 11:15 AM      Profile for Michael Hossen   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Hossen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately Andy, due to currency conversion and shipping Film Guard isn't as cheap over here. At around $80 per bottle it's still worth it though. Just gotta make it last as long as possible though.

Andy Bajew
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2009 02:53 PM      Profile for Andy Bajew   Email Andy Bajew   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow I completely forgot about that detail. Thanks for that reminder Michael. When I first started working with the cinema I am at now, they had half a bottle of FilmGuard and cleaned each print once a week. One year later we were ordering our next bottle of FilmGuard. Fortunately, if you have a good idea of how long the prints may be in your cinema, you can make one bottle last a very long time.

Sally Ann Burgess
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2009 03:39 PM      Profile for Sally Ann Burgess   Email Sally Ann Burgess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys, I honestly thought no-one was going to reply!! One bottle of FG is pretty expensive once currency conversion/postage costs are taken into account hence me asking cap in hand for a wee dram. (I think it's about NZ$125)
It was worth asking, cheers anyway fellas.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 09-01-2009 05:57 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could someone explain this to me?

A bottle of FG retails for around US$34. That's AU$42 (NZ$50).

As long as somebody is importing it by the case on a slow boat, shipping shouldn't be significant. So how does it get to be twice the price? Are import duties really that high?

--jhawk

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 09-01-2009 06:25 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, looks like New Zealand charges a 12.5% Goods & Services Tax (GST) on imports; and a $28.75-NZ "Import Entry Transaction Fee", which includes a biosecurity risk screening if required (presumably a bottled liquid of something called Film-Guard could fall in that category). I calculate the cost of someone in NZ buying 1 bottle of Film-Guard from a US retail supplier at perhaps as high as $85-NZ, not including shipping. So reselling it at retail for $125-NZ may not be wildly off the mark, for a single bottle.

However as jhawk pointed out, what cinema supplies dealer would import only a single bottle at a time? Wouldn't they order at least a case, thus amortizing the customs fees and making the per-bottle retail price much lower than $125-NZ?

Just saying. [Wink]

New Zealand Duties & Levies I confess I didn't parse the entire page word for word.

John Koutsoumis
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2009 07:49 PM      Profile for John Koutsoumis   Email John Koutsoumis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We get Filmguard for $80 dollars here. I think it went up some time back due to the bad dollar exchange. Still it's worth it.
I always get with media pads and other consumables.

Michael Hossen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2009 08:41 PM      Profile for Michael Hossen   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Hossen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: John Hawkinson
Could someone explain this to me?

A bottle of FG retails for around US$34. That's AU$42 (NZ$50).

As long as somebody is importing it by the case on a slow boat, shipping shouldn't be significant. So how does it get to be twice the price? Are import duties really that high?

--jhawk

Not too sure. As John said, the price went up when the dollar was weaker, but now, I would have thought, the price would have gone down a bit... Still worth it though.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 09-01-2009 09:26 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spiro at Intech Pacific makes next to nothing on FG. He still brings it in as he kept Raydek's customers supply going when Ray sold.

Don't even think he's ripping anyone off...he's not. It's not like there's an abundance of cinemas in Australia using it.

It is expensive for him to get it in the country. That's just a fact.

Michael Hossen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2009 09:31 PM      Profile for Michael Hossen   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Hossen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: John Wilson
Spiro at Intech Pacific makes next to nothing on FG. He still brings it in as he kept Raydek's customers supply going when Ray sold.

Don't even think he's ripping anyone off...he's not. It's not like there's an abundance of cinemas in Australia using it.

It is expensive for him to get it in the country. That's just a fact.

That makes sense then... I never thought it was a rip off. Our owner over here has been dealing with Spiro for years with Panastereo equipment and we have great trust in him.

[ 09-01-2009, 10:42 PM: Message edited by: Adam Martin ]

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2009 12:44 AM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I do some importing here in Australia, there are plenty of hidden costs, taxes on imports over $1000, shipping has near $1000 extras, such as ports fees, shipping brokers and if you dont pick it up within the 3 day window, storage fees. I have heard of people buying samples from china of say michrophone leads worth less than $100, and the shipping is close to A$1000!

Often by air is actually cheaper for small quantities.

As for filmguard its cheap at double the price! Sally its worth the money, its even worth the $1000 plus for the kilmar cleaner to apply it properly. The clean wet gate look it creates is devine.

Michael Hossen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2009 12:55 AM      Profile for Michael Hossen   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Hossen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Cameron Glendinning
As I do some importing here in Australia, there are plenty of hidden costs, taxes on imports over $1000, shipping has near $1000 extras, such as ports fees, shipping brokers and if you dont pick it up within the 3 day window, storage fees. I have heard of people buying samples from china of say michrophone leads worth less than $100, and the shipping is close to A$1000!

Often by air is actually cheaper for small quantities.

As for filmguard its cheap at double the price! Sally its worth the money, its even worth the $1000 plus for the kilmar cleaner to apply it properly. The clean wet gate look it creates is devine.

I never realised the amount of fees associated with importing commercial goods. Although it's pretty obvious once you think about it.

I'm trying to convince the management to grab a Kelmar cleaner at the moment. Considering the small amount of expenses we have upstairs compared to everywhere else in the building I reckon I may be in with a chance!

John Koutsoumis
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2009 01:48 AM      Profile for John Koutsoumis   Email John Koutsoumis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too now buy Filmguard and the media pads through Spiro. Good bloke to do business with. I don't object to the prices. The stuff is well worth it. Just applying to the edge of the prints to stop shedding is enough but we also do have a Kelmar cleaner and now it's always in use. [thumbsup] .

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: