Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DTS XD10P won't switch. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: DTS XD10P won't switch.
Matt Young
Film Handler

- posted 08-28-2009 08:39 PM      Profile for Matt Young   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Young   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DTS XD10 Processor and Media Player, Big Sky Series 1 Automation

Problem: my DTS XD10P Audio Processor in #6 stopped switchin between N/S, SR and DTS.

My automation is set up to pulse SR once the C/O opens and if the processor "see's" timecode and has the sound on its HD it then switches to DTS. It does not do this anymore. My processor sits in Non-Sync when my C/O opens.

Also, if a preview is in DTS (and Ive switched it manually by this point) and the following preview should read in SR, it doesnt switch either.

Basically the only way the processor will switch is if we push the button for the correct sound format.

I KNOW that my automation is pulsing correctly because i wired it up to #7's XD10 and everything works, so I know it's not the automation or the wiring.

I tried to call DTS tech support today, no one was there and I left a message but they never called back.

Ideas? [Confused]

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-28-2009 10:21 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This may be a bad format card on your sound processor but first check the common ground for audio switching to see it it's become disconnected. If you loose the common off the back of the processor you loose all audio switching.

Hope this helps...

Mark

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 08-29-2009 01:15 AM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The XD10 lets you reprogram the definition of the format pins on the automation connector. Go check and make sure they are set the same on both machines. In the menus.

oops (edit): Oh, the XD10P. Sorry. I don't know.

--jhawk

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-29-2009 03:30 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One easy test to is get a 25pin male D connector and cut it and find:

Pin 1: Mono
Pin 2: A-Type
Pin 3: SR
Pin 4: Non Sync 2
Pin 5: EXT1 Analog
Pin 6: EXT2 Digital
Pin 7: Non Syn 1

And short momentary each of the pins with Pin 12 which is the common. The XD10P should switch to the defined input/mode when you do that. If it does not then its definately a problem in the XD10P. Make sure you connect the cable directly on the automation socket of the XD10P. What firmware is it using?

Edit: MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT SHORT ANY OTHER PIN ON THE CONNECTOR

Demetris

Matt Young
Film Handler

- posted 08-29-2009 11:48 AM      Profile for Matt Young   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Young   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark: I checked common grounds, all good.

Demetris: The other day I got a DB25 connector and a nice chunk of CAT6 and wired up the SR pulse, N/S pulse and such and hooked it up to my automation and still nothing. THEN I hooked it up to #7 (whose amp cabinet is right next to #6) and it worked just fine. So I'm still pretty sure it the XD10P.

Side note: I forgot to mention in my original post that there are no fault lights lit up on the processor.

As far as firmware, pretty sure it's version 1 (Dec 2004) firmware.

called DTS again earlier today...yeah, on a saturday haha thats how desperate I am. no one was there.

Pretty sure I'll end up having to send it in under warranty.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 08-29-2009 12:51 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Take the front plate off and pull the control card, the one on the right, and re-seat it into it's socket. Sometimes this cures problems like you are having. If that does not work. Pull the control card from a unit you know works and put it in the one giving you the problem. If the problem goes away then there is a problem in the control card. There is a ribbon cable attached to that card that you will need to disconnect in order to remove the card. Also there is a personality module on that card that will need to be moved to the new card when you get one.

Matt Young
Film Handler

- posted 08-29-2009 01:16 PM      Profile for Matt Young   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Young   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tried re-seating the control card and switched it like you suggested the other day and neither solved the problem. I'm completely [Confused] on this one

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-29-2009 02:43 PM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Matt you can find latest firmware/software and manual here
I did not understand whether you manualy shorted the cable or did it via the automation. did you try the phoenix connector of the automation as well? Also check the bulettin on the site i give you regarding a ground fix. Finally try a temporary swap to another auditorium and check whether your automation switches the unit or not.
Demetris

Demetris

Matt Young
Film Handler

- posted 08-29-2009 03:02 PM      Profile for Matt Young   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Young   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Demetris, I'll try to swap out the unit with another auditorium tonight after everything drops if I have time. As for the ground fix, the S/N on this processor isn't in the range they list needing that fix.

I'll also update the firmware tonight if I can find a USB to serial adapter.

thanks again

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-29-2009 03:10 PM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mat make sure you save your settings before trying to upgrade. Follow the exact instructions in the bulletin.
Demetris

Matt Young
Film Handler

- posted 08-30-2009 07:36 PM      Profile for Matt Young   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Young   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IT WOKRED!!!

Thanks Demetris for that suggestion. I had to buy a USB to DB9 cable but I got the new firmware loaded and everything works fine.

Thanks [thumbsup]

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-31-2009 02:39 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Never underestimate a firmware upgrade! You might had the mere case that a power surge sucked up the automation memory on the boards and by reloading a firmware (even latest) you restored it.
Demetris

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-31-2009 06:32 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You may want to upgrade the rest of them in your complex if the others have the same troublesome version this one did.

Personally I'm very surprised it was the firmware since this is manufactured by USL and is more or less the smae as the JSD-80 of which I have had zero problems.

Mark

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-31-2009 06:38 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Matt if it ain't broken don't fix it! No offence Mark but if something works never mess with it.
Demetris

Matt Young
Film Handler

- posted 08-31-2009 09:51 AM      Profile for Matt Young   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Young   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like the "if it ain't broke, dont fix it" approach... but my dad was an engineer and I have more of the "if it aint broke, it doesn't have enough features" mentality haha [Big Grin]

I really cant tell you how happy I am that this fixed my problem, I really thought I going to have to send that thing in to DTS, that would have been a headache

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: