Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Westrex Pad Roller Issue (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Westrex Pad Roller Issue
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-28-2009 10:55 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've encountered a pair fo Westrex projectors and soundheads that seem to have non-standard pad rollers on them. These have a larger bore than say a P-3085 does and they are metal. The Westrex I am talking about is the one similar to the Century C I believe it's a Model 2000. Anyone here have any ideas on this???

Thanks!
Mark

|  IP: Logged

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-28-2009 11:11 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are they London built Westrex or something else wearing the Westrex badge? Monee for example.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 08-28-2009 05:00 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have a small stash of LaVezzi rollers that are larger bore than normal. I think Ballantyne #6 used these as well.

(London made Westrex, 2000 or 2001 model number) Louis

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-28-2009 05:02 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I believe it's a Westrex 2000. Wolk is pretty sure the RCA pad rollers will fit on them so we'll try those first. If they don't then it's got to be some sort of metric size...

Mark

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-29-2009 03:20 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Metric! On a Westrex! Wash your keyboard out immediaetly!

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 08-29-2009 07:54 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't Westrex something other than American Standard OR metric? Louis

Gavin Lewarne
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-29-2009 03:09 PM      Profile for Gavin Lewarne   Email Gavin Lewarne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi All!

i will introduce myself another time, but im posting here with some information about the issue in question.

I have carefully measured with calipers the internal bore of all the pad rollers on my pair of Westrex 2001's and they are all imperial measurements, some have a bigger bore than others, but none of them are neat metric sizes, all of them are imperial.

The same goes for the allen key grub screws on the pad roller shaft, they are imperial sizes as well. Odd that some of the larger hex screws and allen bolts used on the machines are metric though!

ta ta

Gavin

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-29-2009 06:28 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Gavin,

Thanks for checking but what is the bore diameter measurement?

Thanks in advance,
Mark

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-29-2009 08:05 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
London built Westrex machines use, IIRC, BA (British Attachment) thread forms on all the Allen cap screws etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Association_screw_threads

Gavin, there shouldn't be any Metric screws on them. Either someone has re-tapped or modified in some way, or you are confusing BA with Metric, some of them are so close as to be compatible.

I don't recall the bore sizes of the pad rollers offhand, nor am I near enough a machine to measure them, but rest assured they aer standard fractional Imperial sizes, ie 1/4" etc.

Gavin Lewarne
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-30-2009 12:26 PM      Profile for Gavin Lewarne   Email Gavin Lewarne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
mine all have imperial (BA) measuring threads, even on some of the larger bolts n screws. but the HEADS on the larger ones are perfect metric sizes, eg 5mm and 9mm! very weird!

i will re-measure the pad roller bores on tuesday if i get chance!

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-30-2009 12:35 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, BA screw heads will fit Metric tools. Read the Wiki link I posetd above, all will become clear!

Ben Wales
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-31-2009 04:15 PM      Profile for Ben Wales   Email Ben Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Gavin Lewarne
I have carefully measured with calipers the internal bore of all the pad rollers on my pair of Westrex 2001's and they are all imperial measurements.
All the Westrex 2001 range are Machined to British Imperial BA and Whitworth Measurements.

I guess the pair of Westrex 2001 you refer to are the pair at Plymouth Arts Centre, trust you are looking after them [Smile] .

Gavin Lewarne
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2009 12:34 AM      Profile for Gavin Lewarne   Email Gavin Lewarne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
a-HA! you found me! who be you may i ask? past employee?

Yeah they are going strong. Had to self machine a new cam for the intermittent on No2 a while ago (pin broke off!!), had to replace various bearings and gears No2, No1 has not been so unreliable.

Now have completely new Amps for the sound system and new Jaxlites and solar cells (yes yes i know jaxlites are poo), rear stereo surrounds now fitted and working, and i do a complete optical re-alignment of the lenses and arc mirrors every week.

Replaced all the pad rollers with new ones a while ago. Have removed "stupid" big roller under the take off spool and replaced with a twin pad roller arm - keeps the tension higher on the film as it enters the machines. Have found less rubbing to be the result.

FYI, if you know them, Gwyn and Austen are both fine!

um, cant think of much else i have done to the machines, other than regular maintenance and what-not. How long ago did you work there? under Bob i presume?

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2009 05:17 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back on topic.

Having this morning come across a Westrex pad arm & roller assembly, I can categorically tell you that the roller shaft/bore diameter is nominal 0.250" or 1/4", depending on how you like to express it.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-02-2009 07:12 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Pete! Thats a big help because I now know I ordered the correct pad rollers for one of my customers.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: