Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Correct oil level for Cinemeccanica Vic 10

Author Topic: Correct oil level for Cinemeccanica Vic 10
John Koutsoumis
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2009 08:08 PM      Profile for John Koutsoumis   Email John Koutsoumis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had tech in recently who on his way out asked if I had projector oil as the two Vic 10's we have are running low.
I was a little confused because by going off the manual you fill the projector with oil till it reaches the red dot.
Unlike Vic 8's it makes no mention the machine should be running for it to be at the red dot level. So with the projectors not running I always have the oil at the red dot and top up when needed. The machines always run smooth.

I have now been told that the manual was badly translated from Italian and it should be the same as the Vic 8's.

Can anyone clarify?

|  IP: Logged

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2009 12:15 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Red point is correct. If you are using a spool projector make sure you also put oil at the lower shaft/clutch or whatever you call it periodically. Some people have no idea about that. The V10 is a powerfull beast. Have you converted it to Red LED?

John Koutsoumis
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2009 12:51 AM      Profile for John Koutsoumis   Email John Koutsoumis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes we have red LED readers as well as Dolby 701 readers for digital. We run platters not spools.
So I have the oil at the red dot level but when the projector is stopped not while running.
My Vic 8's have the oil level at the red dot while it's running.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 08-21-2009 01:51 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was not aware anyone was making a red reader for the V10. Is it a laser reader? What brand?

I've never quite finished my version as there are major differences dimensionally to the V5 and even the V4.

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2009 12:19 PM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam you forgot me!! I have one.

John Koutsoumis
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2009 07:39 PM      Profile for John Koutsoumis   Email John Koutsoumis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam, not sure of the fine details but the reader and bracket are labeled Cinemeccanica. They are designed to fit the sound drums that don't have the guard that the later Vic 8's have. Also goes out of alignment a lot easier too so I am always keeping an eye on it and have them re-aligned when needed.

Phillip Grace
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2009 11:34 PM      Profile for Phillip Grace   Email Phillip Grace   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi John.
Oil level should be up to the red dot in the lower glass when the machine is running. You can be certain that there is oil in the sump. You should also be able to see the oil passing through the filter/magnet assembly at the top of the projector.
I once worked with an operator who filled the oil up to the top sight glass. It was still running down through the machine days later. We nearly drowned.
Phil.

John Koutsoumis
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-23-2009 10:28 PM      Profile for John Koutsoumis   Email John Koutsoumis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Phillip. They sure do like their oil but I too had another operator fill it way too much and it was coming out everywhere and also threw drops onto the port glass which it still does now.
It needs a rebuild but with D-Cinema coming that ain't gonna happen. Nice machines though. It's a shame that they modified them for 35mm only. They did screen 70mm as far as I know in the glory new days.

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-25-2009 07:27 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John Koutsoumis,

Do you use the same oil in both the Vic 8 and Vic 10 machines?

Is it the oil supplied for these machines, namely Cinemeccanica?

Is there anyone at the factory who remembers making these machines?

Thanks
KEN

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-25-2009 10:37 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
to the best of my memory all the cinemecanica's used the same oil or would at least tolerate the same oil which was in the past aSAE30 oil which was the same as the oil the factory's supplied over for the Hortson or a GK21

John Koutsoumis
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-26-2009 10:05 PM      Profile for John Koutsoumis   Email John Koutsoumis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Kenneth,

The oil we use is supllied by the tech company we use.
They buy in bulk I guess and then bottle it for sale.
We use the same oil in both the the 10's and 8's and it is recommened for use by their senior technician.
I have never heard of Cinemecannica brand oil.

Could not tell you when the projectors were made. Either very late 1950's or early 1960's before the Vic 8's but I really have no idea.

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-28-2009 01:28 PM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Phillip Grace
Hi John.
Oil level should be up to the red dot in the lower glass when the machine is running.

Sorry but you are wrong. Youu should leave the projector in iddle mode for at least a day and when the oil has settled then you check the level in stop mode. it should be until the red dot or just above it. never fill it to the red dot as it is running!

Demetris

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 08-28-2009 02:56 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How can anyone leave a machine idle for a day? Overnight, maybe, but not for a whole day.

The manual seems pretty clear. You fill it to the dot when stopped, turn it on, and add any more as required to get a smooth flow in the sight glass/filter.
quote: V-10 Manual
Fill the projector with oil through the filler plug at the top of the mechanism, until the oil reached (sic) the Red Spot on the lower oil sight window (near the inching knob). Using the inching knob, turn the projector by hand to make sure that the projector runs smoothly and freely. Switch on the motors and check that they run in the correct direction. The projector should be run at 24f.p.s. and topped up with oil until the oil level is steady on the upper oil sight window.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: