Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Variable speed films

Author Topic: Variable speed films
Ralph Martin
Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2009 10:59 AM      Profile for Ralph Martin   Email Ralph Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all,

I want to be able to have the kids accompany some of the earlier silent films that run at different speeds. I figure our next step is to alter the speed of the projector for slower silent films (Century SA-TA).

A gentleman contacted me yesterday referred by Milestone Pictures. He said he will help me convert the theater’s projector to be able to handle variable speeds using a special variable transformer. It can be used without any hardwired installation so the projector can return to normal when our silent picture performance is over.

He said that there may need to be a three-blade conversion for the shutter to prevent the flicker effect depending on how slow the movie is to be run.

He’s from Chicago and has a very cool secret agent’s name :-)

He seems very knowledgeable and he’s willing to help us gratis.

Does all of this sound right?

|  IP: Logged

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 08-19-2009 11:07 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You won't find anyone better.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-19-2009 02:26 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would not be a variable transformer but a motor driver controller
It would also entail that the motor on the projector be 3 phase
The other option is a servo DC motor conttol

Ralph Martin
Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2009 04:43 PM      Profile for Ralph Martin   Email Ralph Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Gordon, I was corrected by him that it isn't, in fact, a transformer but a much different device that works for controlling the speed properly. So I misquoted him :-(

I wish I was more knowledgeable about these matters.

Thank you, Martin, for your input. I’m hearing from many that he’s top-notch.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-19-2009 05:00 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since the speed of a AC motor can only varied by varieing the frequency which is howmost motor drive units work

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: