Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Black & White On Color Film Stock- - Why? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Black & White On Color Film Stock- - Why?
Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-16-2009 12:18 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
TETRO is a 'black & white' movie printed on color
film stock. I was curious why this was done instead
of just just making a black & white print.

Was this an artistic decision, or a technical one?

Is it possible to print Dolby Digital on B&W stock?

Is it because they wanted to have a cyan sound track?

Im curious.

|  IP: Logged

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 08-16-2009 12:35 AM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very simple. Black and white print stock is a special order, and the labs all carry tons of color stock.

That said, color stock usually produces inferior B&W prints. I was able to side-by-side a film some years back, and the B&W print stock had much better contrast and "snap" or depth.

Dolby Digital will work fine on B&W stock, or so I was told by Dolby many years ago.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 08-16-2009 08:41 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Black and white printing is now more expensive; labs are set up for high-speed processing of colour stock, but not black and white. Black and white processing in recent time has been limited to things like track negatives, separations and certain special effects elements such as travelling mattes etc, which are probably done digitally these days, and of course for small numbers of new prints of classic films. To produce a large number of black and white prints you'd have to either give the lad a lot of time to do them using the limited black and white capacity they have, or get them to convert an ECP-2 line to do black and white, which I'd guess is probably possible, but colour processing is normally done at a high temperature these days; you'd need to reduce the temperature, and slow down the mackine to handle black and white. It would also mean downtime while the machine was converted, and again while it was converted back to colour.

With colour prints all of the silver is removed from the film these days, and almost all of this can be recovered by the lab and sold. With black and white much of the silver remains in the print, and is thus passed to the customer, not recovered by the lab. This silver can only be recovered when the prints are recycled.

Silver absorbs infra-red much more strongly than colour dyes, and so it is much easier to damage the film by overheating than it is with colour stock.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 08-16-2009 10:36 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As recently as 2005 there was a major release on b&w stock: Good Night, and Good Luck

Richard P. May
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-16-2009 11:58 AM      Profile for Richard P. May   Email Richard P. May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some of the questions were already answered above, but I can elaborate a little.
It is hard to make a good b&w print on color stock, as the final color tends to drift during processing, resulting in a print with a color tinge. A few years ago, while at WB, we ordered some prints of the restored THE BIG PARADE, with the tinted sections, of course, on color stock, but also printed the b&w sections on the same film. The client got the print, and said it looked like green and white. The final result was to print the B&W sections on B&W stock, and intercut them with the tinted scenes. In other cases, this has been done perfectly.
Universal originally printed SCHINDLER'S LIST on B&W, and the theaters had trouble with emulsion sticking, causing no end of projection problems. I understand later prints were made on color stock. To project well, B&W stock need to have the sprocket hole edges waxed. Color film has this built in.
As far as sound, a B&W track reads the same as cyan. The red LED light thinks cyan is black.
I saw TETRO projected digitally, and it was beautifully photographed. I'd guess printed on color stock it would lose some contrast, and maybe pick up some color tint.
The movie about Bettie Page a few years ago had a lot of B&W photography, and when I saw it the color changed with each reel, from slightly pink, to slightly green, etc. Processing temperatures cause this.

DM

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 08-16-2009 02:08 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt SHINDLER'S LIST was originally printed in B&W because Steven Spielberg had used 'spot color' in the film to show a little girl in a pink dress. I saw the film in a theatre and I thought the image looked fantastic. I knew the movie was printed on color stock because of the pink dress. During the B&W silent era, color was used by hand coloring frames and it was possible when you only had to do it with a couple of pints but not possible with a print run in the hundred or thousands .

-Claude

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-16-2009 02:25 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Claude S. Ayakawa
I doubt SHINDLER'S LIST was originally printed in B&W
I ran this movie and it was printed on B/W stock, only a couple of reels were using the color stock to do the color effects.

The one that was on all color stock that I ran was the 1998 release of "Pleasantville" - where it stated in B/W then gradually transformed into color.

-Monte

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 08-16-2009 02:55 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would be great if there was less inaccurate speculation here (esp. in re Schindler's List...)

I don't think the special order nature of B&W stock has much to do with it. Kodak would be happy to supply it (as would plenty of people who wouldn't normally supply MP stocks); though in 2005 its list price was 3c more expensive/foot than color.

Dave is right to point out Good Night and Good Luck (2005), but in addition to the FITA thread, there were one or two threads about special problems with the Kodak 2302 B&W print stock, like Shedding Problems, that are well worth reading to give insight into this question.

GNGL seemed to have a lot of dirt problems, which I concluded were because of the 2302.

Dick and Monte are of course absolutely correct about Schindler's List being B&W with color sections for early prints, and entire color prints for later ones. The color sections of the BW prints were very short; not entire reels.

John Pytlak (in the above link) discussed converting ECP-2D lines to D-97; the impression I have is it's absolutely doable (and no appreciable change for ECP-2E).

Aside from process control issues, perhaps the labs should apply more care in grading if these titles get printed to 2383. Such as grading each reel for color temperature and trying to assemble a print with like color temperature. Since it seems that the issue of color shifting between reels is an oft-repeated refrain for B&W films on color stock.

--jhawk

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 08-16-2009 03:06 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
NOTHING looks like a B&W stock print. Double nothing if it is on nitrate stock, but we've visited that issue elsewhere. But B&W on color stock simply can't look as good or have nearly the same aesthetic as B&W stock. And it's simple -- B&W is only a single emulsion layer thick, not three, not to mention it's B&W by nature and can't be anything else. Color has three emulsion layers trying to be the in perfect relationship to produce NO color -- fat chance.

Plus, I have never seen any of the so-called B&W film sequences like on PLEASANTVILLE or SCHINDLER'S LIST or the opening of RAGING BULL where you couldn't immediately see the color "behind" the B&W, so to speak. I suppose that look could be something a director might want, but that would really be a stretch. For a pure A / B comparison, there is no question a REAL B&W print has a genuine look that color stock simply can't capture.

And as Dick May says, printed at slower speeds and with an emulsion that contains silver (and that silver can be regulated too -- prints purposely made leaving more silver behind in the emulsion also have an incredibly rich look to them), real B&W prints tend to make some exquisite looking images that won't be duplicated by high speed color B&W wannabees.

Too bad this aesthetic isn't used by more directors and DPs. Yah, yah, it costs more, but in the overall scheme of things, how many millions will a decent movie bring in in the first weekend? The additional cost for well-made B&W release prints could be recovered in, what....the first 4 hours of release? Or maybe they don't need to have 15 different kinds of bottled water at the catered commissary for every meal. Or maybe they can hire actors who can actually speak without needing to hire "dialogue coaches" for every one on the set, or they could eliminate a Dolby consultant or two (sound mixers haven't learned how to mix Dolby tracks YET?!). I'm just sayin.....

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 08-16-2009 03:30 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw Schindler's List at the Empire, Leicester Square a few days after it opened, and again several months later at another cinema where I also projected it. I remember there being a note in one of the cans requesting that it be shown without an intermission where possible. Unfortunately, this wasn't possible as this cinema had only one projector and a tower and it wasn't possible to fit the whole print on one spool, even by over-running the edge of the spool. This is one of the few times I've run film on a tower, and I didn't like it, I'd much rather run two machines.

On both occasions the film was printed on black and white triacetate stock, as was the trailer for the film. Sorry, let me correct that, I didn't actually see the print at the Empire, so I can't be certain that it was triacetate, as the other print was, but both prints, and the trailer, were on black and white stock. The trailer was printed on Agfa stock, and I'm pretty sure the feature was too. The negative stock was Kodak. The colour sections were spliced in, which must have made the prints expensive to produce. I can't remember what type of splice, tape or cement, was used. I've never seen a print of this film on colour stock, but I can't say whether or not there were any in this country. The 'present day' scenes at the start of the film, and of Oscar Schindler's funeral at the end were in colour, and there were scenes, I think two, during the film where a girl's dress was coloured red, but everything else black and white.

The changes to colour stock just before the red dress appeared were very obvious.

I'd forgotten about 'Goodnight and Good Luck'. We ran that at Croydon, and had terrible problems with it, but nothing to do with the stock. The sound was very poor, this was the first black and white print we ran after converting to ted laser readers. We thought at first that this was the problem, but it turned out to be a defective print; when it came back a couple of weeks later we got a different print, and it was fine with the red readers. Strange that the previous cinema(s) hadn't reported it.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 08-16-2009 03:59 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not so strange if the previous cinema didn't run it in the same sound format as you. If you recall, Brad mentioned that one theater let another borrow a print of Dark Knight, only to have the final reel in Spanish and the other theater hadn't noticed because they screened it using DTS disks (but should've noticed that the credits weren't printed in English).

So if they ran a movie in DTS that had a defective analog and/or DD soundtrack, it wouldn't be shocking for them to not notice.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 08-16-2009 04:58 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's possible, I have no way of knowing where the print had been before, nor whether they would have been using the analogue track or not.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-16-2009 06:06 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the ultimate film I ran with a combination of B&W and Color was Zelig. It had B&W and Color spliced on scene change after scene change...the number of splices had to be around 100! And that was by the labs to put each print together...could you imagine the studios doing that today with film?

I've yet to see a color print even approximate a B&W. Then again, I haven't seen any modern direct do B&W justice. Sure many try to do it because they want to convey an era...but the lighting/contrast...etc doesn't look period nor does it look correct, to me. It looks like someone trying to make a B&W feature rather than one that knows how to make one.

Steve

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 08-16-2009 06:18 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve: You just send the B&W and color reels off the printer to some competent changeover houses along with an edit decision list and let the theatres do all the splicing. What could go wrong?

--jhawk

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-16-2009 07:28 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Course, we can go back to the "Wizard of OZ" (1939): 1st reel is full B/W stock, then the changeover to the 2nd reel being in color stock.

Then, the last reel (reel 5): Color stock until the splice in the middle of the reel when things went back to the original B/W opening.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: