Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Split reel?

Author Topic: Split reel?
Joshua Haney
Film Handler

- posted 08-14-2009 05:40 PM      Profile for Joshua Haney   Email Joshua Haney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey guys just wondering if anyone can help me find where we can purchase what we call a split reel. Its a metal 35 mm reel that has one side that unscrews and in the center has spring released ring, we use it mainly to build our trailers, rolling stock ETC.. And a booth employee broke it [Mad] any information would be greatly appreciated.

|  IP: Logged

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 08-14-2009 06:08 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your regular booth supply/equipment dealer should be able to provide one. Additionally there are several people here who are in that business.

Joshua Haney
Film Handler

- posted 08-14-2009 06:14 PM      Profile for Joshua Haney   Email Joshua Haney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your response. So would we just ask for a 35mm split reel? Sorry for the dumb question we just never have had to replace it.

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-14-2009 06:28 PM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeap! 35mm split reel or spool if you prefer

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-14-2009 06:42 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are also flanges (only one side)...they are often best for trailers. The ones from Goldberg take male or female cores too.

What you MAY be describing is a Retractable Hub Split Reel. It looks like a regular one but it has a 10" or so hub inside (they come in two or three different hub sizes, depending on what size center ring your platter uses). That hub can retract to allow easy trailer pack removal. Based on your description of a "spring" I'm thinking that maybe what you have.

Note, there is also a "trailer retrieval reel" too but that is larger (21 and 25" flange diameter).

Steve

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 08-14-2009 06:45 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this a split reel or a trailer reel?

Goldberg makes a thing that works like a 4000' split reel (some are blue for some reason), but has an adjustable large-diameter hub. It is designed to allow one to make up trailers for a platter show without having to first put everything on a reel and then use a makeup table to get the trailers onto a ring. It's hard to describe, but it can save a significant amount of time when changing trailers.

A regular split reel is for handling films shipped on 2", 3", or 4" cores. A trailer flange is for rewinding trailers onto 1" trailer cores.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 08-14-2009 07:30 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You won't hear "spool" much in the U.S.

Trailer flanges can be used for cores, too. They come in male varieties (for cores), female varieties (for 1" trailer sleeves), and hermaphroditic springloaded-key varieties (Goldberg) that work both ways.

Rob Schultz's dealer web site has pictures of a lot of this stuff, www.rsem.com.

Looks like Neumade's website is in reorg (again?).

Maybe somebody should scan a Goldberg catalog. I thought they had a [sketchy?] web site, but I can't find it. Oh, here we go. Don't judge them by the quality of their web site.

And Hollywood Film Company also makes them, see their page of split reels and flanges.

--jhawk

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-14-2009 09:51 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Goldberg doesn't have a "catalog" per-say. The have a collection of "New Product" bulletins.

I have indeed toyed with scanning them in. I have done that for several of their ports since one needs to supply specifics to builders for the cutouts.

As people might suspect, I tend to handle Goldberg products quite a bit!

Steve

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 08-14-2009 10:01 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We stock 2000 ft 35mm split reels with 5/16" shaft from Goldberg since we have many studio and overseas customers. Louis

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-14-2009 10:30 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
The ones from Goldberg take male or female cores too.
The Goldberg ones are awesome (get the 2000' version) except for one glaring defect. They can literally damage your 5/16" keys on your shafts, as the keyway is not flush with the back side of the flange. Why in the world they designed it that way is beyond me. If it wasn't for that, I would say the design was perfect.

Joshua Haney
Film Handler

- posted 08-14-2009 10:57 PM      Profile for Joshua Haney   Email Joshua Haney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We actually have two split reels, one that we put cores on but not the ones that come on trailers and such but they are a little bigger. And actually for some reason we ended up with two cores for that one that was shipped with our coke trailers. But the one that all of our booth employees use is the one I inquired about.

I do want to say thank you guys very much for responding so quickly this was my first post on here. I am very familiar with forums as I use a couple for my automotive hobby. The search function is my friend I just didnt really get anything about the split reels from the search.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: