Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Distorted dolby tone waveform (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Distorted dolby tone waveform
Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-11-2009 04:29 PM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As shown in the URL above, I have a nasty output from my Component Engineering basement reader for a Century soundhead. I have checked the power supplies to the reader and the LED and they have very low levels of sawtooth ripple. I have aligned and realigned the LED and reader but end up with this horrible buzzing sound atop the audio signal. The interesting thing is that the buzzing sound increases in amplitude when the audio signal output level increases. All I can conclude is that my reader has failed. Any ideas?

[ 08-11-2009, 05:41 PM: Message edited by: Brad Miller ]

|  IP: Logged

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 08-11-2009 05:11 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: It is important to note that our forum will no longer permit any image links served from off site. This means you may not upload an image to another webserver and display it on the forums. Also not permitted is linking to html pages on other servers containing images whether they comply with the self-upload restrictions or not. (Occasionally the need for a high resolution image is desired. For these types of situations, you need to email them in so they may be served on a seperate page from the Film-Tech servers.) Why so stringent about this? This policy is to preserve all images that are associated with a discussion for future viewing in the archives.

Eric, you should post the picture to Film-Tech proper, so it will remain with the thread for future reference.

Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-11-2009 05:38 PM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have tried to post pictures here abiding by every rule and technical detail required and yet I can not post pictures here no matter how hard I try.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-11-2009 05:41 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Just because you can't figure it out doesn't give you the right to break the site policies. The upload page gives very detailed instructions if you care to read it. If you still can't figure it out by then, you should ask on the forum for assistance.

Next time = banned.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-11-2009 07:11 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a scanner program in my laptop here that also will do image reduction on either scanned or saved image stored on my HD.

I pull up the image and click on it's properties to see what pixel size it is. Then, through the editing part of the program, I reduce the image down to the maximum (or close-I ususally choose 475 pixels to be safe) required pixel size required by policy rules then cut and paste the description of the image in the required "upload" section to be displayed in my posts.

It does work ... - Monte

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 08-11-2009 07:42 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you shoot me an email w/ the pic attached I'll make it the right size for ya and upload it.

Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-11-2009 11:16 PM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
you should ask on the forum for assistance
Yes, you are right. I'll give it another go round then I'll ask for help if I'm still stuck. This forum is valuable to me so I have no ambitions for being banned.

quote: Chris Slycord
shoot me an email w/ the pic attached I'll make it the right size for ya and upload it
Thanks, I'll email you the pic until I get my technical problem solved.

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2009 09:09 AM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let's get back to problem......probably you have too much gain, or some lose ground inside reader preamp, so:

1: check OP amp, if you can replace it, but before check no 2,

2: check all resistors, because if some resistor (one in feedback) is bad soldered op amp will go to infinity gain = distorzion!

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 08-12-2009 09:53 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 08-12-2009 10:04 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any ripple is too much ripple on the LED portion of the supply. Anything more than .1 Volt peak to peak can clearly be heard as hum in the audience. The LED is a direct radiator of anything that feeds it unlike an exciter lamp that lights indirectly by making a filament glow.

The hum would could go up and down with the loudness of the track as you describe because that is the nature of a hum source behind a variable area mask feeding a photovoltaic solar cell.

You should check whether there is hum there with no film and if there is, cover the LED and see if it goes away. If it does, you've found the cause.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-12-2009 11:48 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eric,

If you need a copy of Photoshop just let me know... I can send you one. Makes it a cinch to adjust file size....

Mark

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2009 01:07 PM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am not really aware of the CE readers but one thing to try is to tie the - signal of the dc power supply output to the chasis ground of your rack/projector as well as the ground of the power supply. mmost probably is a ground issue.

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2009 09:04 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It doesn't realy look distorted, it looks like there is a sine wave added to it. Look at the bottom of the waveform. What does it look like with no film, and with the light blocked? What does it look like (and sound like) with "normal" sound footage?

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 08-12-2009 09:13 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So much fuss about film piracy and a member can glibly offer give away photoshop?

Jarret Chessell
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2009 09:42 PM      Profile for Jarret Chessell   Email Jarret Chessell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Search "GIMP" on the internet. It's an open source photo editor incredibly similar to Photoshop. I recommend it to anyone concerned with piracy. I'm also a big fan of Open Office as an alternative to MS Office (also open source).

BTW, those are some crazy ass wave forms.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: