Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Five formats in one program (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Five formats in one program
Ron Curran
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-10-2009 02:58 AM      Profile for Ron Curran   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Curran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank goodness for a versatile automation. We are running My Sister's Keeper with two trailers and (as John Wilson advised) an attached trailer.
First trailer is for a Scope feature and it is letterboxed flat. Next trailer is for a Scope feature and it is 1.85 flat.
Attached trailer is for a flat feature and requires a lens change coz it is anamorphic. Trouble is the 10 second classification tag preceding it is Scope 2.35. So we compromise and leave the masking in till the Scope feature starts. This means that the tag info is contained ok within the masking but the rest of the tag image provides a yellow splash on the masking. It doesn't look good but I decided it would look silly if we went to full screen for the tag then closed masking for the trailer then opened up for the feature.
How do constant width cinemas cope with this situation?

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-10-2009 03:08 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Ron Curran
Attached trailer is for a flat feature and requires a lens change coz it is anamorphic
Interesting that the attached trailer needs a lens change...being that the feature is in scope. It should be formatted for the scope lens as well.
quote: Ron Curran
Trouble is the 10 second classification tag preceding it is Scope 2.35. ..
splice in the classification tag after the attached trailer to match the feature's ratio.

Thus, you'll have a better opening presentation that way ..

In all due actuality, any policy tags should be after your trailer paks - it should separate the trailers from the feature.

-Monte

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 08-10-2009 03:16 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
Interesting that the attached trailer needs a lens change
He didn't say that.

I find it amazing that they can't just blow the flat versions of the scope trailers up to fill the frame. Obviously there would be SOME trailers that would not work for, but come on. How prescious is your movie that you'd prefer an abundance of black top and bottom to a full frame image? Same goes for Scope versions of a flat trailer where it's 'pillarboxed' Fill the damn frame for goodness sake.

Just dumb and I wish they would stop it.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-10-2009 03:53 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: John Wilson
Fill the damn frame for goodness sake.
So, how do you watch DVDs on your 4:3 TV? Go for the pan and scan?

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 08-10-2009 04:07 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not talking about the movie, just the trailers. We never had this issue before TITANIC came out it seems. Fox brought out that great trailer for TITANIC in scope only here. Then when they found out there were locations not playing them because they were in scope they shot out the flat version in letterbox format.

It's never been the same since. [thumbsdown]

They managed for years to have scope movies' trailer fill the flat frame. Seems to me they've simply taken the easy road instead of having to 'scan' a problem scene to make it fit. Right now I'm looking at a trailer for some slop called 'Charlie And Boots' with Paul Hogan. It's letterboxed and I can't see a single frame on the trailer that justifies it being letterboxed. There's miles of image there that would be better served not being there instead of having to put up with letterboxing black.

I'm not saying ALL trailers should do this, but come on. Does EVERY trailer need to be letterboxed? I seriously doubt it. [puke]

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 08-10-2009 08:21 AM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sadly, I have the impression that Somebody Out There actually believes that people like black bars, and think they are an indicator of something good.

I keep saying we should get a "letterboxed" lens that's longer than our flat lens exclusively for the purpose of blowing up these letterboxed flat trailers so they fill the height properly...Somebody's old cokebottle...

--jhawk

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-10-2009 09:29 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Psssst...you meant "shorter" lens for blowing the image up.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 08-10-2009 09:34 AM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed, indeed, thanks.

(With a longer lens we could make all films windowboxed! Sadly
some fools might like that. )

--jhawk

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 08-10-2009 11:30 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My inner geek-nerd wants scope source material to be letterboxed when projected flat, whether it needs it or not. [Wink]

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-10-2009 11:52 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I actually agree. If it is letterboxed on the film, then letterbox it on the screen. But what I think John is saying is to merely magnify the whole image so that it is shown in on the "scope" screen.

Steve

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 08-10-2009 04:56 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with that. Flat is crappy enough without blowing it up further.

No, indeed I mean blow it up to fill the 1.85 frame or blow the 1.85 image up to fill the scope frame.

Ron Curran
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-10-2009 07:41 PM      Profile for Ron Curran   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Curran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The other rotten thing about letterboxed trailers is this: If we have an all-flat program, I feel that some of the audience will assume that the letterbox image indicates how our Scope features will be presented.
Just to clarify: the classification tag is legally required to run before the trailer. One thing I could do is attach a flat tag (for the following trailer) to the end of the flat trailer then do a lens change after that then open the masking for the feature.
As for Flat trailers filling the Scope screen, I remember Saving Private Ryan had such a trailer specially produced. However, as a customer, I would be disappointed if I saw the feature was flat after seeing a Scope trailer.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 08-11-2009 11:48 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Digital will fix all this.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 08-11-2009 03:45 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Right. Features are now to be letterboxed. [Mad]

John Koutsoumis
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2009 06:14 PM      Profile for John Koutsoumis   Email John Koutsoumis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scope films in IMAX Digital are letterboxed.
I hate scope trailers and prefer letterboxed ones anyday.
Only the feature should be in scope.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: