Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Bringing 3D on 70mm solution (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Bringing 3D on 70mm solution
Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2009 01:36 PM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Call me crazy but why has no one ever thought of doing this. Seeing how stacking of 2 digital projectors helps in illumination and also left/right eye better distribution, how would printing on a 70mm strip half images side by side. Using a spec offset you can have for example 60 frames delay between the left frame and the right frame thus left/right image on the projectors. A double stack system of 70mm projection to show 3D films with the top projector having a gate allowing only the left portion to be shown and the bottom projector with a gate allowing only the right portion to be shown. Would it work or not?
Demetris

|  IP: Logged

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2009 01:49 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Theoretically it would work if all installations followed strict spacing rules between the top and bottom projectors. However, wouldn't it be better to print the images synchronized side by side and let the optics do the alignment? I think you could pump enough light through one film projector to fulfill the illumination requirements.

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2009 02:02 PM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I set, a spec offset between the top and bottom image. Sound is a different aspect. Although now that I think about it more, it would be wiser having them side by side and using a double lens feature since splicing would be identical on the two images. Well just a thought what do you think?
Demetris

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-08-2009 03:23 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
House of Wax was widely shown in side by side 70mm 3-D in the 70s. It was spectaculuar for sure but the 1:33 aspect ratio of the movie also perfectly lends itself to doing this and keeping the spherical lenses on the projector. Down side is you still need a silver screen. Actually there are 10 perf 70mm projectors so you could do full frame 70mm over and under easily. Its just not practical today in today's typical multiplex situation. No one could properly run the 70mm equipment for the most part... at least what equipment is left today... not that much really. 10 perf really flys fast... almost as fast as Imax!

Mark

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2009 04:19 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I installed a couple of Mega 8/70's at a park in China. One is a 3D ride, the other is a 4D. I worked on a 5/70 projector out in L.A. that ran 48 FPS. We were looking at doing 3d on that single projector, not sure what ever happened with that project... [Confused]

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 08-08-2009 04:34 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Once again (cost wise) Digital TV makes 70mm make sense. Louis

Christian Appelt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2009 10:09 AM      Profile for Christian Appelt   Email Christian Appelt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Demetris, there was a single-strip 65/70mm 3D process in the 1960s known as HiFi Stereo 70. Dual anamorphic images on 5-perf 70mm with a single beam splitter lens (IIRC, it was called "Stereo-Kinotar" and distributed by Kinoton).

You can see a 3D film clip at the beginning of chapter 6 of this text:

M.C.S.-70 (in70mm.com)

Not quite as bright as double 70mm 3D, I have to admit.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-09-2009 10:20 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What the eff is "4D"? You can't make up your own dimensions.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 08-09-2009 12:28 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Time travel.

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2009 01:19 PM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
Down side is you still need a silver screen.
Why is that Mark?

quote: Christian Appelt
Demetris, there was a single-strip 65/70mm 3D process in the 1960s known as HiFi Stereo 70.
I did not know that! Thanks.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 08-09-2009 02:31 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
Down side is you still need a silver screen.
Why is that Mark?
To maintain polarization of the light. As for the downside it is because of the hot spotting and the loss of light associated with where one sits in the theatre. Light uniformity sucks on a silver screen plain and simple.

[ 08-09-2009, 03:55 PM: Message edited by: Adam Martin ]

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2009 06:16 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Darryl Spicer was the last to post

What the eff is "4D"? You can't make up your own dimensions.

If your good like me you can [Big Grin]

Actually it adds other effects to the movie. In this one it drops bubbles from the ceiling in one scene, a mist of water in your face when an elephant sneezes, and strobe lights and air sprayed at you in different scenes.

4D pic

Rick

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 08-09-2009 10:02 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Funny story:

Cinemark used to run a 3-screen theater inside the local mall. It's one of places I trained before Tinesltown-17 opened.

One of the managers who used to run the place told me that the block walls were filled with granular Styrofoam insulation. When the wind blew hard enough from the right direction, some of the Styrofoam beads used to blow out from the cracks in the walls and into the theater.

It was during the run of "Miracle on 34th St." (1995 remake) when a customer came out to report that white Styrofoam was blowing into the theater.

The manager, without missing a beat, said, "Yes, I know. It's a new special effect to make it feel more like Christmas in the theater."

Story goes... The guy bought it! [Big Grin] He went back in, sat down and thought he was seeing something extra special!

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Razz]

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 08-09-2009 10:19 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A bit off-topic, but...

Is there any reason, besides Real-D's infinited displeasure, why a 3D process couldn't be encoded before the picture is placed onto the hard drive, possibly allowing you to avoid some of the light losses currently experienced?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-10-2009 02:54 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't know that bubbles, etc were actual dimensions unto themselves!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: