Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Automation Not Working

Author Topic: Automation Not Working
Andy Bajew
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2009 11:28 AM      Profile for Andy Bajew   Email Andy Bajew   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Housing: Optimax Orcon
Projector Head: Christie P35
Failsafe/Cue Detector: Component Engineering, Inc. Model FM-35

For a while now the automation in one of our projectors has completely quit working. We have had to run everything manually.

When the failsafe is powered on, it reads that it is detecting 'motion' even when nothing is thread through it. When there is film thread through the fail safe it will read that it detects 'motion and presence.' However, when the film is thread through it, the 'motion and presence' lights will do a pulsing effect where they will turn on briefly and fade off, then fade back on briefly only to repeat the process again. Lastly, when the failsafe is powered on with the film thread through it, when it's doing its pulsing thing, behind the control board there is a series of circuits that will light up and go off at the same time as the pulsing, except with a small buzzing noise. The circuit is labeled Com1, Com2, and Com3--one light will flash in each Com.

Generally the projector cannot be started manually with the failsafe powered off. Also, I am certain that everything on the control board on the housing works fine. Any ideas?

|  IP: Logged

Geena Phillips
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2009 11:47 AM      Profile for Geena Phillips   Author's Homepage   Email Geena Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just spitballing it, I'd say the problems SOUNDS like the failsafe unit; possibly the wiring attached to it.

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2009 11:54 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most probably your FM35 is gone. Do you have a single screen or a multiscreen location? If so perhaps you can swap the FM35 to another screen and see if the problem follows the screen.
Demetris

Andy Bajew
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2009 12:01 PM      Profile for Andy Bajew   Email Andy Bajew   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is a seven screen cinema, for what it matters. I started getting extremely confused once I noticed all the wires for the Com ports behind the control panel that were flashing were the ones that are ultimately decide whether or not the failsafe works. I will try that tonight, thanks for the idea. Not really sure why I didn't think of that.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 08-08-2009 12:05 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the failsafe has a motion light when not moving, you have a bad failsafe.

If you have a TA10 type automation, there are two bypass switches on the motherboard, one for motion & the other for presence. Switching one or both of them will allow you to start your projector. However, the bypassed function will mean your system is less safe, so plan to watch it closely until you get the problem fixed.

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2009 12:14 PM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of the cue detectors of the FM35 once got bad and it always showed that a cue was passing on the automation and send the automation to emergency even if film was passing as the failsafe was not operating correctly. Probably this is your problem.

quote: Andy Bajew
Not really sure why I didn't think of that.
Usually when you stare a problem all the time, the easiest troubleshooting solution is often avoided!

Demetris

Andy Bajew
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2009 10:10 PM      Profile for Andy Bajew   Email Andy Bajew   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Figured out how to bypass the failsafe, and ended up finding out the automation just flat out didn't work. I adjusted a whole bunch of connections and messed around with the relay's. That solved the automation not turning on the motor issue. After that I realized the lamp is the only thing the automation wouldn't turn on [Frown]
Opened the housing after the next show and what I thought was some sort of putty was actually a huge ball of dust stopping the automation from starting. Finally fixed everything for the automation! Time to replace the failsafe. Thanks everyone!

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 08-09-2009 12:20 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For the failsafe, there is a fix that might get you going again.

Sometimes they get dirty and quit working right. Cleaning them usually solves the problem.

If the failsafe isn't malfunctioning, a good cleaning might help. At least it will verify that the unit is bad and not simply dirty and in need of care.

Look in the manuals section. The instruction manual to the Component Engineering FM-37/FM-37 failsafe tells you how to do this job.

It's not hard. You just remove a few screws, pull off the rollers then disconnect the black metal detector assembly. You give it a good bath using "Formula 409" or rubbing alcohol.

Be sure everything is 100% dry before reassembling!

Again, this might not solve your problem but it's a simple thing to try and it might keep you in operation long enough to get a new unit.

As I always say, "Check the easy stuff first." [Big Grin]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: