Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » D.I.Y Wrap Detector

Author Topic: D.I.Y Wrap Detector
Graham Ritchie
Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2009 08:44 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A few years ago we managed to get the OK to replace one of our three projectors with a "Kinoton" more Kinoton projectors to come in the future hopefully, anyway the problem I had was to find a way to protect to projector from a "wrap up" either from the five deck Christie next to it, or from film running down the roof from the Cinema 2 five deck which we often do. I did look at a modern 8 screen cinema, one projector one platter and wrap detector set up, it was OK for them but no use for how we operate, so in the end and with a little cash, decided to make my own, here are a few photos.
 -
Kinoton is just to the right
 -
In the event of a wrap up the bottom part is pulled out of the ball and spring loaded brass door latch you can see in the photo, the switch on the left is wired to the automation as soon as its activated the projector shuts down, the theatre lights come up etc.
 -
Comes to a halt about about here, there is sufficient film for the projector to run down and come to a halt with no strain on the film or the projector. I made two more, one for our Simplex in Cinema one and the other for the Bauer U4 in Cinema two, that one I still have to fit. The only difference with those two is that they are a couple inches longer, all three are fitted next to the projectors. The most expensive item was the rollers The material was bought from a hardware store, aluminium supplier and a sheet metal place for the steel plate from old off cuts. It was easy to make about 6 hours work at home for each one, drilling and tapping for the rear rollers at the back took the time, you cant see them in the photo. In the end it works great, it has only shut down once for the Kinoton "and that was my fault" and once on the Simplex, a wiring problem on that platter which was quickly fixed, we now feel a lot happier [Smile] running films up and down the roof with the knowledge that the projectionist wont be shot at dawn if something goes wrong.
One last photo of our pride and joy in Cinema3
 -
Its wrap detector just behind the projector.

Graham.

|  IP: Logged

Andy Bajew
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2009 08:55 PM      Profile for Andy Bajew   Email Andy Bajew   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you not get any scratches with all those rollers? That's a little excessive for running on the base side. I run some of the oldest platter equipment known to man and haven't personally had a brain wrap since I have been working as a projectionist.

Graham Ritchie
Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2009 08:59 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No scratches we ran "Australia" for 5 months on that screen it finished its run without a mark.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-05-2009 09:22 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Rollers do not scratch. Even if they don't spin, they do not scratch. That is why they are beveled in the middle where the picture is. The only way rollers scratch is if they are not aligned properly, of which his wrap detector is designed to keep everything in line, so it isn't much of a possibility for damage.

Jarret Chessell
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2009 10:21 PM      Profile for Jarret Chessell   Email Jarret Chessell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I must say I really appreciate how you took the time to design it in such a way that it can have some slack left on the film after the motor spins down. I'm sure lots of us can sympathize with coming into a booth after being away for a while and having to re-align all the rollers because someone has had bad starts or shut-downs and yanked the rollers away from the wall (not to mention damage to film).

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-05-2009 10:50 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A bit off topic, but why must Kinotons be attached to monstrous towers? Why can't they be like normal projectors? Please explain to me the extreme advantage that this offers.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 08-05-2009 11:23 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(Kinoton envy) [Razz]

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-06-2009 05:34 AM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
but why must Kinotons be attached to monstrous towers?
I don't know, but I have worked with several that don't feature the monstrous towers.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-06-2009 09:00 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
Rollers do not scratch. Even if they don't spin, they do not scratch.
I respectfully disagree! I've seen rollers stuck that have damaged Abraded the Sony tracks and other rollers that were stuck for so long they actually had a groove worn into them and were scratching the picture area. The wear factor is alot quicker on smaller diameter rollers than it is with larger diameter rollers.

quote: Joe Redifer
A bit off topic, but why must Kinotons be attached to monstrous towers? Why can't they be like normal projectors? Please explain to me the extreme advantage that this offers.

They do make console mount projectors as well Joe.

Mark

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-06-2009 01:53 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I couldn't help but notice the Christie platters in the photo the "tree" is gray colored instead of blue. All the Autowind 3 style platters I've encountered were blue, including a few 5-deck ones.

Jarret Chessell
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-06-2009 07:36 PM      Profile for Jarret Chessell   Email Jarret Chessell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If an SDDS track gets scratched in the woods and no one is there to hear it, did it really get scratched? wait, I think I told that wrong [uhoh]

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-06-2009 11:53 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its more of the Euro way Joe...that is to have everything build off of base...which, in Kinoton's case, gets you a column projector with a lamphouse hanging off the rear.

As to the advantages of a column projector...there are many...they are a LOT easier to work on/in. It has the advantages of a console but without the bulk. It also has the spindles incorporated into the projector rather than have reel arms that are often not well supported (flex) and collect dirt.

However, Kinoton does have the FP50 series if you like the console look and the PK60 if you prefer to hang the projector on the front of your favorite console or pedestal. And if you need a place to live, there is the FP40 series though I don't think it is still in production (boy was it deeeeeeeeep).

About the only thing I don't like about the current column design is that the lamphouse isn't well supported. They do make a support bracket for it but then you loose some of the advantage of the column's space saving design. It would be better if the bracket triangulated to the column to provide lamphouse support.

Steve

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-07-2009 10:36 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
It would be better if the bracket triangulated to the column to provide lamphouse support.

I would think you guys could do that yourselves or have them fabricated...

Mark

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-07-2009 01:31 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With this homemade concept, now we can finally have a basis of plan on what to do with those STRONG interlock accumulators that some booths gets "blessed" with sitting idling away...

..but wait ... some booths also have those Kelmar accumulators that could be useful as well ...

(been on vacation-away from film and projectors...had tons of fun..)

-Monte

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: