Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Shake Rattle & Role!!!

Author Topic: Shake Rattle & Role!!!
Andrew Bangs
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-03-2009 10:48 PM      Profile for Andrew Bangs   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew Bangs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On a saturday night this is a good thing! inside a projector not so much... I have got a projector that has developed a nasty little shake in the picture. The film is not being damaged and the kids have seemed to arrest the shake by wedging a cloth between the door and the framing handle. The picture jumps up & down when the handle is not wedged. But this is a cheesy fix and I would really like to figure out a proper solution. I figure something has to be loose somewhere but where to start looking is the real question. I already went for the Faming handle and every thing in and on it is tight as far as I can tell. Could their be something in the gear box? In any case I am stumped as to where to look next. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks again!

|  IP: Logged

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 08-03-2009 11:52 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What equipment are you using?

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 08-04-2009 12:54 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds suspiciously like a Ballantyne framing coupler.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-04-2009 09:26 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't you have Chineese projectors???

Randy Bowden
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2009 12:07 AM      Profile for Randy Bowden   Email Randy Bowden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You mean a Pro-35 is NOT supposed to do that [Eek!]

Andrew Bangs
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-06-2009 02:38 PM      Profile for Andrew Bangs   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew Bangs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry I thought I was infamous here for my problems with Horizon Chines projectors.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-06-2009 04:42 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When you refer to the door do you mean the trap door or door that closes over the entire mechanism
If it is the outside door try pusshing in on the framing handle as probably one of the screws or taper pin (I don't know how the machine was constructed other than conjecture from other machines) is either loose or worn allowing the torque of the intermitent to hammer the framing shaft in and out

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-07-2009 08:46 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Randy Bowden
You mean a Pro-35 is NOT supposed to do that

Good one Randy!

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-07-2009 01:34 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gee, wonder if those Horizons are valid for the "cash for clunkers" program?

You get better mileage from a Century or Simplex .... (pun intended... [Big Grin] )

-Monte

Andrew Bangs
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-07-2009 07:35 PM      Profile for Andrew Bangs   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew Bangs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
believe me monte I have thought about it but the big wigs are happy that we have not had any more major malfunctions this summer aside from a bit of trouble with the air conditioning in a few of the theaters this last week but that was due to some idiot driving into our power lines a few days ago and causing a major power surge to the building. Funny enough it didn't affect the projectors one bit. [Confused]

Gordon:
How easy would you say it might be "generally speaking" to remove and replace the taper pin? Mind you I have another projector now sitting around collecting dust after our digital install.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-09-2009 09:06 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Taper pin removal will require a taper pin removal tool or a V block and punchs
Again I don't know how the machine was assembled
could you post the parts manual and a pix of the back off

Andrew Bangs
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2009 12:55 AM      Profile for Andrew Bangs   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew Bangs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll try for the pix but It allready sound like a bit more than I need to get into. I may just end up replacing the whole front half of the darn thing or leave the rag till we get some techs out here.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: