Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » CP55 & Smart mod8 advice! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: CP55 & Smart mod8 advice!
Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-02-2009 05:30 PM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have a Mod 8 that is only used for mono and digital sound,it falls apart in sr or stereo A but i have a CP 55 not set up for sr or split surrounds just sitting here.
The mod 8 is excellent for Dolby Digital , D.T.S and i really like the circle surround. We are set up for 7.1 with Crown xls 602 amps.

My question is could i get away with using the cp55 for analogue but keep the mod 8 connected to the amps for digital?

In other words both the 55 and mod 8 connected to the amps at the same time?

|  IP: Logged

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-02-2009 07:44 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Please research this resource for multiple connections:

http://www.rane.com/note109.html

I think you will find all of the answers there.

KEN

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-03-2009 05:42 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why not just get a 441 card for the 55 and get it set up properly for split surrounds.. oh and you will need at least a 222SRA card as well for the 55. Overall I'd throw the Smart in the dumpster and use the CP-55 for all formats after doing the proper mods to it. It's still a dam good processor!

Mark

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-03-2009 05:58 PM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mark and Kenneth!

Yes upgrades to the cp55 is the ultimate plan but money is so scarce right now. I worry about playing Back to the future in the fall in mono [Confused]
How do you think digital would sound through the cp55 without the upgrades?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-03-2009 08:49 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You'd have just mono surrounds... not split as they should be. The NR is also going to be askew with only type A available. Although the Dolby Type A might be better sounding then the NR on the Smart.

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2009 11:38 PM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What if... [Smile] I put a switching device between the cp55,mod8 and amplifiers?
As a temporary solution of course.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 08-06-2009 06:34 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LCR & sub will be fine in Digital. AS Mark said, you will only have mono surrounds (which may be all there is). Be sure you tie L & R surrounds together so no information is lost.

BTW: When Dolby Digital was launched, the cp55 and 65 was all there was in recent processors. I assure you that (except in optical) they are perfect for a DA20 and probably well ahead of anything Smart ever made under their own name.

The SR upgrade is common and I still have many (30+) in stock. PM me privately if interested. Louis

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-06-2009 07:26 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The sub card cat241 that was used in the cp55 doesn't support an external sub signal going into the signal path

Paul Gordon
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-06-2009 07:52 AM      Profile for Paul Gordon   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Gordon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another option would be to sell the Smart and CP55 and buy a used CP65 with split surrounds and SR. Theres one on ebay right now.

Jarret Chessell
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-06-2009 07:40 PM      Profile for Jarret Chessell   Email Jarret Chessell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can you not send the sub signal from a DA20 or DTS directly to the amplifier??? (Which I guess would also suggest you can't have it hooked up for analog audio at the same time?)

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-10-2009 03:15 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Louis,

You Got Mail!

KEN

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-11-2009 12:14 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jarret Chessell
Can you not send the sub signal from a DA20 or DTS directly to the amplifier??? (Which I guess would also suggest you can't have it hooked up for analog audio at the same time?)

Which means you will have a constant level of the subwoofer. Bad idea.

Victor I too recon the CP55 upgrade

Paul Trimboli
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-11-2009 06:27 AM      Profile for Paul Trimboli   Email Paul Trimboli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The other option is to do what I had done after some advice I received on here and that is to mix the surrounds down into a mono channel and feed that into the AUX inputs and then feed the subwoofer channel into pin 14 on the J18 test connector (the D connector along side the outputs on the back plane)- this IS then controlled by the fader with the downside being it is not switched as you change formats. My way around this was build up a smaller board that used the LED outputs on the Cat 321 card to trigger a transistor which in turn turned on a relay that I had wired the sub signal into- this way when I changed formats the sub would also turn off. All this was done with a stock CP55.

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-11-2009 06:55 AM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Demetris Thoupis
Which means you will have a constant level of the subwoofer. Bad idea.
At least with DTS (I'm not sure about Dolby Digtial) that is how the manual says to set it up on a CP-200.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-11-2009 09:33 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is correct that DTS did suggest that the sub not have a fader control on the older un upgraded cp55 that doesn't make it right and it also didn't work all that well either

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: