Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Surprises With Used Kid Show Prints?

Author Topic: Surprises With Used Kid Show Prints?
Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-01-2009 12:19 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've been running another summer of free kid shows this year. Its almost over, now, so I've listed everything that I have aquired this summer attached to the prints that I have received:

50 feet of black leader
2-DTS tags
1-Dolby tag
1-30 foot length of Dolby test tone (I bet someone was pissed when that item went missing!)
2-No Smoking In This Theatre tags
1-nearly new threading leader

Not to mention a whole show of trailers and other junk!

I've only had issues with 2 of the kid show prints this summer, compared to last summer.

I was going to get some new DTS tags... I dont need them now!

Anybody else gotten any fun stuff?

|  IP: Logged

Joe Elliott
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-01-2009 12:41 PM      Profile for Joe Elliott   Email Joe Elliott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last year I received a Flagship Cinema Policy trailer, not that I could use it. This year I haven't got anything. [Frown]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-01-2009 12:59 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not so much with K.S., but with, since we are a discount house, regular features that have trailers and policy tags attached to the front...and the occasional surprise as what Bruce mentions...

Galen Murphy-Fahlgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-03-2009 03:58 AM      Profile for Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Email Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I once found a British ratings band on a kid's show print, Surfs Up if I recall correctly. I couldn't tell for the life of me what it was until I ran it while testing a gate I'd been working on. Unfortunately, I left it when I left my old theater.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 08-03-2009 08:47 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only surprise we got this year was how good shape they were in!

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 08-03-2009 10:46 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
biggest surprise I got on a kid show was last year when I opened up the box for Jimmy Neutron and found reels for Beowulf instead.

Matt Skilton
Film Handler

- posted 08-04-2009 11:41 AM      Profile for Matt Skilton   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Skilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had a Kids Club film turn-up once without any heads or tails on the reels. Thankfully it was made-up in the correct order.

We also had a new print of The Fast and the Furious and one of the reels was actually reel one of Race to Witch Mountain. That mistake very quickly prompted Universal to call us to apologize.

Michael McGovern
Film Handler

- posted 08-04-2009 01:32 PM      Profile for Michael McGovern     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only thing I ever see is the occasional old trailer from 2 or 3 years ago, and random DTS discs.

Jonathan Althaus
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2009 04:49 PM      Profile for Jonathan Althaus   Email Jonathan Althaus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our new print of Seven Pounds last year had discs of Seven Pounds, I Am Legend, and Dark Knight included. Thank goodness we dont do kid shows anymore.

Tyler Potts
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2009 11:14 PM      Profile for Tyler Potts   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My greatest surprise was building Happy Feet and when the last reel went on the label had my initials on it. It was my print from a year before!

Jarret Chessell
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-10-2009 12:47 AM      Profile for Jarret Chessell   Email Jarret Chessell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tyler, I had the same thing happen with Kung-Fu Panda. I was putting it together and I was thinking, wow, this is in great shape and they used film-guard!... and when I got to the tail I saw my label on it. I also know it went to another local venue after I had it the first time too. Makes ya feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-10-2009 03:14 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Moons ago when acetate film and wet splicing was the norm, I got a KS print that I ran 5 years before and the wet splices that I made were still intact-not cracked, chipped or separating..

-Monte

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: