Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Strong MUT Rollers

Author Topic: Strong MUT Rollers
Adam Lautenbach
Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2009 10:27 PM      Profile for Adam Lautenbach     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are the rollers on Strong make up tables different than the rollers on Strong platters? I want to make sure they aren't special high speed rollers or something. Probably a dumb question.

We have one mut that has a mixture of rollers with different type bearings. They were probably swapped from other muts over the years as rollers broke. I found some rollers in storage that apear to be the same as platter rollers and I want to put them on one of the muts that doesn't have rollers left.

Here's a photo of the two different kind of rollers. The one on the left are the ones I found and are on all of our platters.
 -

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-30-2009 11:00 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The MUTs use the metal shielded bearings. The other rollers are typically the open nylon type. I have some that run the shielded for everything (quieter, among other things)

Luke Anderson
Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2009 11:09 PM      Profile for Luke Anderson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The roller on the left is a light duty type of rollor (notice all the plastic in the bearing). It also has alot less balls [Smile]

As you stated the one on the right goes on MUTs and is made to travel at high speeds and with more pressure on the roller and its components.

You can put the MUT roller onto a platter but it is a bit of over kill, however I would never put a platter roller on a MUT due to all the plastic, it would not hold up to the speed or pressure needed and fail pretty quickly ending with some pretty messed up sections of film.

-Luke

Jarret Chessell
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2009 11:18 PM      Profile for Jarret Chessell   Email Jarret Chessell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aren't they the same part number?

I've got exposed bearings on all the MUTs I've used. The only ones I've ever had fail were from masking tape on the reels... and I've never seen one just seize up, usually they just make annoying sounds until you get tired of it and change it. If they're wearing them down really quick I'd be worried they're running the MUT too fast. At any rate, you might be better off with the sealed ones, but depending on cost and availability it wont do any harm.

Luke Anderson
Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2009 12:37 AM      Profile for Luke Anderson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its no the fact that the bearings are sealed or not sealed, it's the fact that one is mostly plastic. It takes alot longer and more stress to wear out anything metal like the mut roller on the right compared to ones on a platter tree 9left)that have plastic cores filled with a few metal ball bearings in it.

-Luke

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-31-2009 06:09 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The roller on the left is a light duty type of roller
..belongs on the platters since both platter and MUT used the same rollers.

Actually, the nylon light duty is a revised roller from the original metal open race roller that were common on older STRONG ALPHA/A3 platters.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 07-31-2009 06:28 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really like the plastic rollers, but only in low speed applications (not the MUT).

Alas, only metal bearing rollers are still available, I believe.
Louis

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: