Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Strong Highlight II turns off mid show

Author Topic: Strong Highlight II turns off mid show
Fred Tucker
Film Handler

- posted 07-26-2009 08:37 PM      Profile for Fred Tucker   Email Fred Tucker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Been having a recurring issue with a xenon turning off mid show. It strikes back up with the press of the start button. THe equipment is a Strong Highlight II, switcher power supply (the hammertone gray type), analog display board & CNA-200 automation. The fan interlock circuits have been bypassed so this not a paddle switch issue. I haven't been around when this has happened as I am with my Dad in the hospital, so what advice can I give over the phone?

Could the power supply be overheating? The plugs show no sighn of scorhing and neither does the wiring harness.

Lamp strikes fine and will stay ignited so I dont think it is a ignitor.

What say you wiser men?

|  IP: Logged

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 07-26-2009 08:55 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How old's the bulb?

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 07-26-2009 09:03 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since it's the newer switcher, ask the person on-site if any of the red Fault LED's light up when it goes off...and to tell you which one if any do..also see if the green "GO" light goes out.

My bet is dust buildup in that switcher or fan failure and it's overheating.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-27-2009 01:33 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do not care for Strong lamphouses. Not only are their optics insanely difficult to align perfectly, but sometimes the air vane switch decides not to go up even though the air flow is perfectly fine. This is because the flap on the switch is just a touch too small. Put a slightly bigger piece of tape on it and it works. I guess they couldn't afford to put a slightly bigger piece of tape on it at the plant.

[/rant]

Fred Tucker
Film Handler

- posted 07-27-2009 01:39 AM      Profile for Fred Tucker   Email Fred Tucker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I couldnt agree more about the air switches, but I instructed my operator how to bypass them so thats not it. Talked one of the guys through swapping the power supply to an old version zero we had laying around & its been running fine ever since. Thanks for the quick responses.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-27-2009 04:28 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bet the in-rush voltage limiters in that v.2 unit is failing.

You'll have to send that back to STRONG for a repair/exchange unit.

If the v.1 goes, it's a boat anchor in STRONG's eyes.

I also had a v.2 (hammertone grey)compact unit do the same and did the same switchout with a v.1 (black) compact unit. No probs sense.

Tell your people to switch over to IREM rectifiers.

-Monte

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-27-2009 08:01 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, check for dust build up on the switcher intake. This is the best way to ruin a perfectly good switcher. If you find the intake plugged up also be sure to check and clean any others you have in the complex. If it turns out to be a bad switcher I repair them for about half of what Strong charges to do it. I've never had one of my repaired units fail either!!!

quote: Joe Redifer
I do not care for Strong lamphouses.
I pretty much agree Joe... The Super Lume-X is pretty good though and has really flat light if aligned properly. It's good at least until all the wiring gets crispy from exposure to all the UV and IR light. There ARE far better lamphouse options but they generally cost alot more $$.

Mark

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 07-27-2009 08:31 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also love the S Lumex. (We do routinely replace the wiring harness and try to shiled it somewhat from the UV. (It would help if they used BLACK cable ties at the factory.) Louis

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 07-27-2009 05:30 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Super Lumexs are my all-time favorite lamphouse (outside of Ashcraft Super Corelites/Cinexs and Peerless Hycandescents). They're compact, reliable, have good optics, and are easy to work on.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-28-2009 01:23 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't the "X-90" console based from the Lume-X?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-28-2009 08:26 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Louis Bornwasser
(It would help if they used BLACK cable ties at the factory.)

And at least light proof covering on the wire or teflon wire so the insulation doesn't disentegrate!! Christie used decent wire and I've yet to see crispy wiring in a Christie console/lamphouse. They also however used those pesky white cable ties!!

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-28-2009 12:38 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..at least they can loom a decect harness out of a bunch of white wires with numbers on them ...

Yea, case in point: early X-90 consoles with bleached out wires and crumbly tie-wraps all behind the reflector. Thus the next generation of consoles, they made that plenum to eliminate all of their hap hazard exposed wiring..

-Monte

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: