Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Recent 70mm releases?

Author Topic: Recent 70mm releases?
David E. Nedrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2009 01:32 PM      Profile for David E. Nedrow   Author's Homepage   Email David E. Nedrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have there been any recent 70mm (non-IMAX) releases? IE., something in the last 3-5 years? I know nothing has been produced on 5/70 for a long time (Hamlet?)

Is there any value to maintaining a 35-70 projection setup at this point?

-David

|  IP: Logged

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 07-18-2009 01:45 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SAMSARA by Mark Magidson and Ron Fricke is now in post production and should be released in a few non IMAX 70mm venues very soon. Rony Fricke previous 70mm film was BARAKA and released on Blu-Ray last year as well as DVD.

AS far as maintaining 70mm venues, Outside of big cities like Los Angeles, New York, Chicago San Francisco that have 70mm revival showings on a regular basis, I can see no point for a theatre in a smaller city to expect to show a brand new 70mm release or a previously released classic when the possibility of getting a print is nil. Honolulu had a total of about eleven houses that could show 70mm but there is only one now and it is the Kahala #1.

-Claude

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 07-18-2009 02:31 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Two new films were shown on 70mm at the Bradford Film Festival this year:

Faubourg 36 was a 35mm blow-up, but looked very good.

Tanakh Bibelen Al-Quran was actually shot on 65mm. This is what I said about it at the time:

"Tanakh Bibelen Al-Quran is a very unusual film. It features the entire content of all three books, with each pair of pages held for three frames, and runs for something over four minutes in total. Of course you can't read the text at that speed, but you can compare the typographic style of the three books, but then you could do that with still photographs, or the books themselves. To be honest, I'm not sure that I see the point in it, but it's good to see somebody shooting in 65mm again, and the image quality was very good, It wouldn't have looked the same shot in 35mm, or video. An interesting film to see if you get the chance."

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2009 02:40 PM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Claude S. Ayakawa
I can see no point for a theatre in a smaller city to expect to show a brand new 70mm release or a previously released classic when the possibility of getting a print is nil.
i would think that if a 70mm print is sitting around in the depot (as some are) and a competent 70mm-equipped theater in a city of any size tried to book it, they would get it. why not?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-18-2009 03:07 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure you would get the print...many have the stipulation now of no platters and that rules many out.

Steve

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 07-18-2009 05:25 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
This has nothing to do with "Large Format" as defined in the forum description. Moving to FHF.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-19-2009 05:56 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David,

It's been many years since there were quantites of 70mm prints. The first Dolby Digital release of BATMAN RETURNS started the decline and the large scale release of JURASSIC PARK in DTS digital pretty much ended things.

There are a few remaining 70mm prints. The Wexner Center near you has run 2001, VERTIGO, LAWRENCE OF ARABIA and PLAYTIME in the last few years. Many of the new prints are DTS-Special Venue to generate the 5-behind the screen channels of the older releases.

Remember, too, that shipping those large 70mm boxes would be pretty expensive.

Investing money into 70mm equipment right now would not be likely to pay off in the long run.

Brian Guckian
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-19-2009 06:14 PM      Profile for Brian Guckian   Email Brian Guckian   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: David E. Nedrow
Is there any value to maintaining a 35-70 projection setup at this point?

Absolutely! There are an increasing number of really, really beautiful restored prints out there, and to see them is a real privilege.

They knock everything else for six [Cool]

As Claude has said, Samsara is on the way, and possibly more...

Re. platters, most of what I've seen in Europe in the last few years has been shown that way. On the shipping issue, several of the new prints have been shipped in plastic cans on cores, thus very significantly reducing weight. Not a problem!

Anyone with 70mm today has it lucky! [beer]

David E. Nedrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-19-2009 07:42 PM      Profile for David E. Nedrow   Author's Homepage   Email David E. Nedrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm putting two re-furb'd projectors in the booth at the Grandview. I've run across an unused, incredibly well maintained, 35-70 that the owner may be interested in giving up. I figured that since I'm putting new equipment in, I would make an offer on this if it would provide any value screening-wise.

Of course, if the available prints are reel-to-reel only, then only having one 70 capable projector is a losing proposition.

Tom Maguire
Film Handler

- posted 09-20-2009 04:26 PM      Profile for Tom Maguire   Email Tom Maguire   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How'd the 70 install go? We have 70 capabilities at our theater and it's great. Lawrence of Arabia did great business last year and was one of the best looking images I've ever seen on screen.

And also, not envious of having to deal with getting equipment up and down that fire ladder at The Grandview, unless you put in stairs that is.

http://www.kscputnamtheater.org/

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-20-2009 05:32 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From your website, I see you are running DAYS OF HEAVEN, one of the most beautiful films ever made, in my opinion. I wasn't aware there were any runnable prints of that around.

How is the print? Is it faded? How are the mag tracks?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-20-2009 06:56 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We ran DOH outdoors in the park in Chicago many years ago. The only existing print then had just barely started to turn and I never heard of any others having been struck although this is one film that should live on in 70mm for sure.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: