Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Anyone install D-BOX motion seats? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Anyone install D-BOX motion seats?
Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 07-13-2009 01:30 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just curious. The Galaxy Cannery theatres here have installed these motion seats in several of their auditoriums. They charge an extra $7.00 for them. From what I saw on a local TV news story, it looked like seven or eight seats total in two rows about half way up the stadium section. I assume these seats were installed for Harry Potter opening this week.

|  IP: Logged

Joe Tommassello
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2009 10:06 AM      Profile for Joe Tommassello   Email Joe Tommassello       Edit/Delete Post 
They sell these for home use as well. I was thinking it might be cool to get it if enough blu-rays continue to come out the the required encoding.

Timothy Eiler
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-26-2009 12:38 PM      Profile for Timothy Eiler   Author's Homepage   Email Timothy Eiler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Theatres at MOA (Mall of America) installed, a few rows for the opening of Terminator.

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-26-2009 04:55 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do these seats run all the time or just when someone is occupying them? (in the theatre environment?)

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-27-2009 01:36 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An extra $7? Geesh, that gimmick isn't even as good as the 3D gimmick yet they charge MORE than 3D? How would they possibly entice anyone to pay that?

A chair that moves. Wow.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-27-2009 04:38 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are they the same like the XpanD seats, or same company?

Gee, what circuits do for x-tra revenue...

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 07-27-2009 06:06 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wouldn't it be a bit distracting having the seat in front of you moving about?

Paul Mayer

- posted 07-27-2009 12:58 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's what I would think. The video I saw shows the entire six-seat section (four in the lower row, two in the row above) moving as one unit. Would annoy the shit out of me if I were sitting anywhere near it.

Fortunately these seats were installed next to an aisle, not on the center-line. I tend to see films during mid-week matinees when there are fewer people and more seating choices, so sitting far away from moving seats shouldn't be a problem.

I imagine the operator can disable them if there are no customers for them. Otherwise anyone could sit in them once the show starts and not have to pay the extra fee.

I've not been to Galaxy Theaters at The Cannery yet (opposite end of the world from where I live at the moment). Still, would like to check them out sometime.

Sam King
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-28-2009 01:53 AM      Profile for Sam King   Email Sam King   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do they work off of the DTS timecode or just by reading the analog channel?

Scott Ribbens
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-28-2009 02:09 AM      Profile for Scott Ribbens   Email Scott Ribbens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The D-Box seats have a sensor in them and will not move unless someone is sitting in them.

The Controller is tied into the POS and automatically activates seats as they are sold. The operator can activate / deactivate seats as well.

The D-Box code is only available (As far as I am aware) with D- Cinema.

Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-28-2009 07:36 PM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tried out the D-BOX seats at the Mann Chinese in Hollywood (the multi just next to/behind the main Chinese).

In the foyer they had a demo stand with 2 D-BOX seats running the Harry Potter tralier in D-BOX.

The seat vibrates and moves in all directions on some kind of gimbal.

I'll say that while some people might enjoy it, it's just not for me. Do I sound like a killjoy if I say that better scripts will make the movie more involving, not 3D and D-BOX?

Certainly, that's my true opinion. D-BOX will not turn a mediocre movie into BACK TO THE FUTURE or THE KARATE KID.

If the intended goal is to get people out of the house and into the theatre, the best way to do that (again, in my opinion) is to make the theatre environment clean and inviting and make the picture and sound quality as good as it can possibly be. By that I mean correct lighting levels, focussed xenon, quality lenses, clean screens, and correctly EQ'd sound systems. Do this and combine it with a movie with a quality script and I think people will line up around the corner. Even these days.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 07-28-2009 07:54 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Combine moving seats and 3D and you'd better have a good stock of vomit bags. "Puke O Rama"

Paul Mayer

- posted 07-28-2009 08:42 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget the Sensurround and Smell-o-Vision cues.

Oh, and the Tingler-style electro-shock add-ons...

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-30-2009 12:14 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Paul Mayer
Oh, and the Tingler-style electro-shock add-ons...

They should just install a taser on each seat!!

Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2009 01:29 PM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
They should just install a taser on each seat!!
Good stuff!! [Razz]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: