Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » I {heart} my XD10. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: I {heart} my XD10.
John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 07-10-2009 08:07 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love my XD10.

So I have a print of Finding Nemo (2003)*, and it seems that somebody has tail wrapped it, and apparently there's no replacing it (. . .). So there are three splices in R6 and missing footage. And of course, they land right in the middle of Marlin (Nemo's dad) finally telling a joke and delivering the punch line. And of course, there are chunks missing and it's a huge disappointment.

But DTS saves the day!

So I run R6 and then go over to the XD10 and look at the VGA monitor (and if you don't have it set up, you can dump the logfile onto a usb key and look at it on a computer) and read off the edits:

quote:

TC: Edit from R06 09:43:19 to R06 09:44:02
TC: Edit from R06 09:44:12 to R06 09:45:09
TC: Edit from R06 09:58:16 to R06 09:58:29

So, we stop and do some math. Evidently DTS TC is in 30fps (and you thought NTSC was dead), and each second must go from 0 TCs to 29 TCs.

So, the first one goes from 09:43:19 to 09:43:29 (11 TCs) and 09:44:00 to 09:44:02 (3 TCs), that makes 14 TCs. 14 out of 30 times 24 => 11.2 frames. Break the splice, slug in 11 frames of black (no DTS timecode!), and on to the next one.

Slug in 22 frames of black in the second one. And slug in 12 frames in the third.

(Note, by the way, that you can do this for up to four seconds. But no more! Then you'll drop out of DTS.)

Let's try it. Sure, it's a bit unfortunate to have black instead of the picture, but the dialog works great. Waaaaaay better than it was beforehand.

Thanks, DTS! We couldn't have done it with SRD or SDDS!

--jhawk

---
*: If you must know, it's TES's print SWANK\00001, relegated to the poor suckers contractually obligated to book through Swank and for some reason the Mouse has seen fit to designate a special print we have to share with all the incompetents. At least they only do this sometimes. not like a certain other studio.

|  IP: Logged

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 07-10-2009 08:15 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The world's first non-Imax Imax presentaion of Finding Nemo.

[thumbsup]

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-10-2009 08:31 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, Yes!
Just like slugging the print for Vita Phone.

Everything old is new again!

KEN

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-10-2009 10:39 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Not a bad idea, but it totally screws the people running any format other than dts.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 07-10-2009 10:44 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They're no worse off than they were before.

--jhawk

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 07-10-2009 11:02 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If anybody asks why the screen went black just tell them the projector is running out of Technicolor but the delivery truck doesn't come till tomorrow. [Wink]

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-10-2009 11:26 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John could have slugged it clear or alernated to give that strobing effect....or even better, slug it with another film so long as it didn't have DTS code on it. He could have even slugged it with "you're thirsty!" or other old-school stuff.

Steve

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 07-10-2009 11:31 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Step 1: Go rent the DVD (Blu-Ray)?

Step 2: Shoot one E6 roll (23 8-perf exposures => 11+12+22 4-perf frames) of the relevant frames (fields?).

Step 3: Process, dry, etc.

Step 4: Splice.

If I had the time it'd definitely be an interesting way to go.

--jhawk

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 07-11-2009 09:28 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about a piece of film snipped out of a trailer?
You could black out the sound track with black ink.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 07-11-2009 10:47 AM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thinking about this some more, I think it's a good thing I didn't think too hard about it last night. Because the idea of taking a roll of black and white film and shooting some cards that say:

FINDING NEMO
MISSING FOOTAGE
R6
NOT OUR FAULT

is awful tempting. And on b/w, I can just use the negative, and don't have to deal with the added hassle of E6 developing.

If I'd thought of it, I might actually have done it...so it's probably a good thing I didn't.

--jhawk

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 07-11-2009 10:50 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Christy's Editorial will sell you "Scene Missing" slugs; you should order 100' or so!

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-11-2009 04:39 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Kenneth Wuepper
Ah, Yes!
Just like slugging the print for Vita Phone.

Or the old 3D.

Quite a clever idea, but I'd keep the slug black.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 07-11-2009 05:43 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think we're burying the lede...

A swank print with DTS disks?

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 07-11-2009 06:06 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, Mike, we have a near-100% success rate on either getting the print with DTS or making sure that DTS chases the print and gets there in time for the show including on Swank prints. (Perhaps more the latter than the former for Swank prints; our data entry guy seems to be running behind so I don't have the recent stats at my fingertips...).

But really what I wanted to highlight was the fact that the XD10 would read off the footage counts, which is really the helpful part. I mean, I could have slugged in black on a DTS-6D, but figuring out how much would have been a pain. I mean, I guess I could have read the TC by hand. Or I could have slugged in too much black and tried to measure the duplication and the ncut. But all of those methods would have sucked! The XD10 makes it childs' play.

Scott, that's good to know, but I think it'd be a lot more fun to make my own (including the "not our fault!"), if I was going to go that route!

--jhawk

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 07-13-2009 10:29 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you're going to rent the BluRay just run the BluRay, it'll look better than one of Swank's hacked up prints.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: