Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Proper Lamp Alignment/Bulb Focus Procedure (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Proper Lamp Alignment/Bulb Focus Procedure
Tom Wienholt
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-08-2009 09:29 PM      Profile for Tom Wienholt   Email Tom Wienholt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was doing a search on this site but could not find a procedure for properly aligning and focusing a bulb. So, what are the proper steps?

|  IP: Logged

Jarret Chessell
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-08-2009 11:29 PM      Profile for Jarret Chessell   Email Jarret Chessell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Assuming your lamp house is in good order....

Put your new lamp in, and manually start the projector without any film in it. You're about to put white light on the screen.
WARNING: Too much white light will wreck your lenses, if you're playing for too long close your dowser for a few minutes to let the lenses cool down.

You'll need the manual for your lamp house to see how you adjust it.

I usually start with scope format.

With white light on the screen you want to back off the focus so that you have a bright ball of light. You want to do the best you can to use the horizontal and vertical controls to get the ball of light into the center of your screen.

Once centered start using the focus control to expand the light evenly around the screen. While you're expanding the light you'll likely need to constantly adjust the horizontal and vertical controls to keep the light centered (it's fairly normal to have it try to drift out of center when backing it out).

Some projectionists like the light to be even right into the corners, others prefer having it dimmer in the corners and around the sides (because the black masking provides contrast for the eye). I'm sure lots of people on here have opinions, you can try it both ways if you like...

once you're happy with how even the light is flip to flat, you may feel you need to adjust it a little more... flip back and forth between your flat and scope until you're happy with how they both look.

Also... I usually find that after a few days when the new lamp has settled in a bit it's worth aligning it again.

I hope that helped.

Galen Murphy-Fahlgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-08-2009 11:57 PM      Profile for Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Email Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jarret's instructions are pretty good. The only things I would add are, I start focusing the lamp in the format that has the largest screen area in that auditorium (scope in fixed height, flat in fixed width), and that I don't shine the direct light through the lens for more than 10-15 seconds at a time. I follow up the alignment procedure by running a looped green band in the format with the bigger screen size, and make my final adjudication based on that. Also, check to make sure that the lamp isn't running too hot and causing buckling in your loop, which indicates too aggressive a focus.

Tom Wienholt
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-08-2009 11:57 PM      Profile for Tom Wienholt   Email Tom Wienholt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info. However, I was referring to the method used where no lenses are in the projector during focus/alignment. What is the procedure for this method?

Scott Christopher
Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2009 12:49 AM      Profile for Scott Christopher   Email Scott Christopher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the Christie manuals explain the method you're after

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-09-2009 04:50 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tom Wienholt
However, I was referring to the method used where no lenses are in the projector during focus/alignment. What is the procedure for this method?

We call that doing the "Looney Tunes" alignment - due to the fact of the rings that shows up on the screen when we get the bulb in focus - which is called the "coarse focus":

With lens and aperture out of the projector, you start the projector motor,strike the bulb and open dowser.

You'll notice the dark spot in the middle of the screen which is the bulb itself.

First you do focus which the dark spot will decrease in size along with creating the "looney tunes" ring around this dark spot. You don't want to decrease this spot too much, but back it up where the rings really show.

Then, on the dark spot, you might see "blisters" around this dark spot. This is the cathode part of the bulb coming from behind.

the goal is to hide the "blisters" which means that the bulb is square with the center of the projector.

To rid of the "blisters" is to do the lateral and vertical bulb alignments.

When you're done with this "coarse" focus, leave bulb and motor on and close dowser.

Then throw in the "scope" aperture plate and "scope" lens. Then, open dowser and you should have an even field of light over the entire screen.

If you got dark edges or a "hot spot" in the center of the screen, adjust bulb focus until the edges brighten up, or the "hot spot" is gone.. This is called "fine focus".

..BUT, be quick at this for the naked light through a lens will cook and could destroy the lens in seconds. And if using a large wattage of bulb, do this step in 15 second intervals, with having dowser closed good minute between the 15 second intervals so the lens can cool down

Good luck-Monte

Jonathan Worthing
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2009 07:07 AM      Profile for Jonathan Worthing   Email Jonathan Worthing   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Looney Tunes" alignment is the way I do it & it works fine

Dan Reiter
Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2009 07:14 AM      Profile for Dan Reiter   Email Dan Reiter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too have used the concentric circles to align for years, the best way, bar none.

I wrote a procedure on this, with pictures, when I worked for Big Sky, I think it's still on thier website.

I was taught by one of the old greats, Jim Ezell.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 07-09-2009 07:30 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even on constant width screens one must use the scope format for final alignment as this has the largest hole in the apperture per se and as such requires the flatest of field

Dennis M Dow Jr
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2009 10:12 AM      Profile for Dennis M Dow Jr   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dan is correct that we still have it on our website. Here is the link to the page:
Optical alignment

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2009 01:55 PM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My problem is a port hole too small to get the concentric rings on screen! [Frown] .
I end up with much of it on the booth wall around the porthole.

I also worry my reflector sits off set,how can this be verified?

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 07-09-2009 06:42 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon is right, always use Scope.

I agree with Jarret, but a small note: do not turn the focus knob too much, I prefer to just darken the corners and center the light this way.

Marco

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 07-09-2009 06:56 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just read the Big Sky alignment procedure.

While the overall thrust of this procedure is about right, it leaves out many small details. (such as critical alignment of the projector lens to the RP-40 centers and critically framing the image.)

I worked many times with the late Jim Ezell (who worked for RCA service back in the 40s-50s & 60s.) The devil is in the details; yes, it CAN be perfect.

(I'm so old, I serviced equipment for Jim Ezell's FATHER in Danville, KY. I was new and he was 86 years old back in the early 70s.) Louis

Tony Ratcliff
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2009 08:09 PM      Profile for Tony Ratcliff   Email Tony Ratcliff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I usually run the RP40 looping using the scope lens for the fine adjustment, so as not to risk damaging the lens.

I've also used a loop of the green "The Following Preview"
since it is a solid color on the whole screen.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-09-2009 08:17 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon is right, always use the scope format. If scope is right, flat will be too. The type of masking has nothing to do with it.

Also, if you have to keep readjusting the horizontal and vertical adjustments as you back off on the focus, you have a physical alignment problem and are losing light.

The "Looney Tunes" method (of which I have never heard it called that before today) will also give you a good idea if your optics are properly aligned. If you can't get good circles, you need to get your tech in there. Regardless of the port window size, if you focus the lamp down enough, you will see the circles.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: