Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Flourescent dimmer (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Flourescent dimmer
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-08-2009 03:19 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone have recommendations for a dimmer capable of handling dimmable flourescent fixtures?

|  IP: Logged

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 07-08-2009 03:33 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
One thing I found to help stop dimmable fluorescents from flickering at low light levels is to parallel 60-100 watt incancandesent lamps in the circuit.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-08-2009 03:37 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen excellent results from Lutron dimmers in the corporate office world.

Lutron Dimmers & Dimmer Ballasts

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-08-2009 04:19 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Also since I didn't mention this, the dimmer must be capable of handling momentary closure commands, so the Lutron stuff is out. It would also be nice if it was multiple channels.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 07-08-2009 07:22 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have certainly seen it tried, most recently on a cinema "with good results guaranteed."

Bah, humbug! Going downward all is OK until near the end when all channels cut off at once (due to the relay dropping power.)

Going up, enough flicker to trigger epileptic seizures until all is lit then OK to full.

Bulbs must be aged to get close on ignition. Louis

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-08-2009 07:39 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our good ol Stanley-Ash 8412's Theatrical Decorator dimmers does a wonderful job of dimming down our flourscent house lights.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-08-2009 09:27 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If this is for a large job it would very definately pay to consult with a real lighting designer or call Strand Lighting or Colortran and look into what they have. This is an easy place to get caught in the ringer! Most Imax theaters use a Strand Half rack and you could easily use a half or full rack to control an entire multiplex inside and out! I've installed and programmed alot of big expensive architectural lighting systems in the last ten years and they rarely work as advertised with the florescents although they have gotten better. Ok down to a certain level and then they have to be set to cut off right away(about 10% to 20% level) or they will flicker. You are also stuck using very specific lamps and ballasts in the fixtures. Doesn't necessarily save any operating costs and they are typically used just because of the soft light they produce. I know Heir Guttag absolutely loves flourescents [thumbsup]
Mark

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 07-09-2009 07:35 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Ash 8112 is available to fire dimmable ballasts but it is a different fireing circuit
The regular dimmer will dim the dimmable CFL lamps andwe have been using the ones from ULighting America
SCR or TRIAC dimmers will not dim the "dimmableCold Cathode" lamps from USHIO

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2009 11:19 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually Brad Lutron has a complete range of multichannel wall dimmers including contact closure inputs to triger scenes. Check out their Grafik QS series of dimmers. The only thing is that you need an interface like a GRX-TVI to dim the 0-10 ballast of the FL.
Demetris

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-09-2009 12:46 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lehigh has offered florescent dimmers...I still recall as the lamps hit their turning off point...things get a bit shaky...it is just the nature of the lamp.

Steve

Oscar Neundorfer
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2009 09:02 PM      Profile for Oscar Neundorfer   Author's Homepage   Email Oscar Neundorfer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dimmable fluorescent ballasts (such as Advance Mark 10, Ambistar, and Lutron Tu-Wire) usually have a low end voltage minimum of around 55 to 60 volts for minimum brightness and guaranteed startup. I am currently working on a line of fluorescent dimmers for residential wallbox use (not really suitable for your purposes, Brad), and I have done a good bit of research into dimmable fluorescents. Most typical dimmers go far below 60 VAC, so you will get bad results, like flickering, as you get below a certain level. Dimmers for fluorescent use are designed with a bottom end voltage limit around 60 VAC give or take, depending on the ballasts for which they are designed.

Triac based dimmers usually work fine with these ballasts, and there are ballasts available for tubular lamps as well as 4 pin CFLs (NOT the screw in CFLs).

The big dimmable ballast makers are Advance Transformer and Lutron. I am not certain, but I imagine other dimmable ballasts are similar to those mentioned.

Jake Spell
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2009 09:30 PM      Profile for Jake Spell   Email Jake Spell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have lithonia sequel dimmer panels that have a main panel in the booth and satilites in the auditorium. It uses a set of dry contacts for up to 16 channels with 6 presets and an unlimited number of dimmers works well with all types of lights.

Don Sneed
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-10-2009 09:54 AM      Profile for Don Sneed   Author's Homepage   Email Don Sneed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just had this problem at an 8-screen theatre I just installed, the fluorescent lights started to dimmer ok, but as the voltage got lower the lights would flicker badly then out, When they was told to raise, the flicker again & only a lamp or two would come on, next time maybe 4-5 would come on, it you turned off the the breaker & turn back on all the lights would light, but dimming up from being dim down, not going to happen, they did dim, only to a medium glow from bright, not dim out or stay dim low. My understanding is the lights & fixure was about $250.00 each...needless to say they were replace with standard lighting that will dim... [thumbsup]

Robert Minichino
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-10-2009 10:15 AM      Profile for Robert Minichino   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Minichino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The best way to dim fluorescents is with a dimming ballast with a 0-10V input; if you have the option to replace or specify the ballasts this will have by far the best results, and you can use the same 0-10V signal to control LED power supplies and incandescent dimmers, too.

Jake Spell
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-10-2009 07:42 PM      Profile for Jake Spell   Email Jake Spell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of the best ways iv found to fix the flicker problem is to limit the botow range to 15-20 percent.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: