Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » How to remove Simplex gate

Author Topic: How to remove Simplex gate
Damien Taylor
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-08-2009 12:31 PM      Profile for Damien Taylor   Email Damien Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Accurate title. I have a Simplex Standard, and I feel like a bit of an idiot. I've searched the forums and read some pretty close manuals, but I just can't figure it out. How do you get the gate trap out?

|  IP: Logged

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 07-08-2009 07:24 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, there were some non removable gates. Most come out by lifting them upward toward the upper sprocket; they are molunted on slots. Louis

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-08-2009 09:10 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ours has one screw that is captive in the assembly - loosen that screw and the gate slides out. The front part (the moving part) has two thumb screws holding it in -- take those off and it just pulls right out.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-08-2009 10:16 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The part with the two thumbscrews is the gate on an XL machine. The trap is the part which needs a flathead screwdriver to loosen from the chassis. Somehow I do not think the original poster has an XL, though.

Phillip Grace
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-08-2009 10:30 PM      Profile for Phillip Grace   Email Phillip Grace   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It should lift out, just as Louis said, but it might take a bit of force to release the grip caused by years of gunk. Bit of CRC sprayed on the top of the bracket might ease the situation
Check also for a set screw on top of the sliding bracket. I saw one like this once. Probably one of the many after-market modifications.

Dick Prather
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2009 12:14 AM      Profile for Dick Prather   Email Dick Prather   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you mean the Gate or Film Trap? The gate is the one that moves and is towards the lens.

Early gates fit into slots as Louis mentions. On these lift up and out. Simplex had a mod to fit into the slots and stay. Gate used two shafts with knurled nuts to keep gate in place. Wenzel used only one shaft and a locating pin. Could be a couple of other gate set up's around.

The Film Trap is screwed to the main frame. More instructions needed if this is what you are trying to remove.
Dick

Damien Taylor
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2009 09:08 AM      Profile for Damien Taylor   Email Damien Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the thoughts guys. The projector itself is a pre-IPC era Standard or Regular, so basically pre-1920 but with loads of mods (water cooled gate) etc, for drive-in use. Its probably just really gunked up, I will try some CRC. I just thought I would check they actually do come out on this model. I didn't want to bend the bottom part of the gate trying to brute force it out, only to find out they are fixed.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-09-2009 10:37 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah - had the gate and the trap mixed up. Thanks guys.

Phillip Grace
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-10-2009 12:42 AM      Profile for Phillip Grace   Email Phillip Grace   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Be very careful of the apron at the bottom of the gate. It holds the intermittent shoes and can only be adjusted by bending it with pliers. Any misalignment here will be a horror to fix. Try grabbing the gate from the top with one hand and using a strong finger of the other in through the aperture from the lens side. Wiggle and Lift. (or "Swish and Flick" for HP fans)

Paul Trimboli
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-10-2009 05:32 AM      Profile for Paul Trimboli   Email Paul Trimboli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Damien that machines you have defiantly lifts up and then out. I do remember it being a bit tight but was easy enough to get out.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: