Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Film Raising on Platter (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Film Raising on Platter
Matt Young
Film Handler

- posted 07-06-2009 11:36 PM      Profile for Matt Young   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Young   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Big Sky platters, Simplex Millennium projector.

The film on one of my platter decks raises up in some areas when it's rewinding. It started a couple weeks ago when we had Star Trek and Drag me to Hell doubled up in one auditorium, but only did this with Star Trek, never the other movie. now we have Up in that auditorium and its doing it with this print. This print has always ran perfectly fine until we moved it here.

I've never had a problem with this before.

here's a picture of what I'm talking about.

-

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-07-2009 12:32 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It could be a slight wear issue, or a curl issue. When these films were in their original houses, how is the bulb focus?

With the film running and when it enters the lower loop, touch the film. If it's slightly warm, that is normal, but if it's a bit on the hot side, the bulb needs to be backed up a bit into the reflector for the 'point of light' is too close to the aperture which increases the heat on the film.

It's nothing to worry about as long as your operation procedures are in check. I get them also from time to time..

-Monte

Matt Young
Film Handler

- posted 07-07-2009 01:03 AM      Profile for Matt Young   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Young   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
bulb focus on this house is fine. everything is in check and i've never had this problem until we put Star Trek in there and UP.

What I thought was a little weird was when we had Star Trek and Drag me to Hell both in that theatre and we would alternate shows, Star Trek did that but Drag me to Hell didnt [Confused]

Andy Bajew
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-07-2009 01:06 AM      Profile for Andy Bajew   Email Andy Bajew   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had an issue exactly like this with one of our trees, however it would only do that on the top platter. I am not sure if this is your issue or not--we have very old ORC platters--but the platter was very worn and wasn't balanced (kind of like a wobbly effect). Combine that with a motor with bearings approaching the end of their useful life and it seemed to have caused this issue. I replaced both the motor bearings and switched the platter out for a much nicer one, and the problem has completely stopped. The film raising effect would happen on prints of every size, until so recently of course.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 07-07-2009 01:18 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check to see that the sprockets on the projector didn't go off track and leave little dents in the film between the sprocket holes.

If this is the case then your print is pretty much beat.
You might be able to get the marks to flatten out by various methods but you'll never get it back to original condition.

Two possible causes:

1) Misthread by one of the people who operated that projector.

2) Maladjusted pad rollers and/or pad shoes.

Solutions:

1) Kill the operator who damaged the film. (J.K. [Wink] )

2) Have your tech realign and set the gaps in all the pad rollers.

It is possible that the damage was done on another projector before it moved to the one it is currently playing on. That might explain why one print seems to be okay while another one misbehaves.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 07-07-2009 03:52 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had this with my first print of 'ALI' back whenever. It was this way from the first run. We couldn't even move it it was so loose so we got another print.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 07-07-2009 04:32 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some of my prints did this sometimes. If the print raised like your photo, it did it in the same point all the times, no matter the screen I was showing it.
Because of that I decided it was a static issue and something wrong with the static coating of the print itself.

Usually any of my print raises this way. It happens few times a year. If this is happening often to you, you might think of something else.

Marco

Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-07-2009 06:23 AM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i have encountered this in the past , sometime running the print opposite side up for a few sessions fixes it.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-07-2009 08:31 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, try flipping the sound track the other way round on take up!!!

Mark

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 07-07-2009 08:35 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it was caused by a misthread(film damage) and if you don't repeat it, then it will get slowly better over time. Each time you run it you "iron out" the imperfection a little bit.

I have seen sprocket-run prints nearly repaired (the embossed part, not the emulsion) over 3 or 4 months. Louis

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 07-07-2009 09:06 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you break the print down onto 6,000 ft. reels and wind it back and forth a few times under tension it might flatten out a little bit.

Put it on your rewind bench and tighten down the tension nut. Wind it back and forth two or three times. (Make sure it's heads up when you're done! [Wink] )

It won't repair the damage. Nothing can. Once film is damaged it is permanent. You can, however, minimize the problem enough that it will run through your projector safely.

Like Louis said, it might also flatten out on its own after you run it for a while.

John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-07-2009 12:00 PM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Matt-

When the film is rewinding on the platter, are you getting a loose wind? If so, that combined with the picture leads me to believe that Randy is correct- it's sproket damage.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 07-07-2009 12:31 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found a picture I took long ago. This is a print that has had sprocket damage.

-

You'll notice the film riding up and down in layers much like yours. You may or may not have a "camel hump" in your print like the one in the picture. If you squeeze on the print while it's on the platter it will feel "spongy".

These are all sure signs that you have experienced some kind of film damage.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 07-07-2009 12:44 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If you break the print down onto 6,000 ft. reels and wind it back and forth a few times under tension it might flatten out a little bit.

Put it on your rewind bench and tighten down the tension nut. Wind it back and forth two or three times. (Make sure it's heads up when you're done!

Ack! If I had nothing better to do with my time than that, I'd find another job. [scream]

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 07-07-2009 01:44 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unless it IS your job... [Roll Eyes]

The print in the picture above was damaged so badly it wouldn't run steadily through the projector. The picture jittered all over the place and the projector made all kinds of noise.

Of course, I got called to that theater on a Friday night to figure out what was wrong.

So, here I am. I drove four hours to get there to find damaged film. There isn't much I can do. The film doesn't run right. Customers are complaining and the manager is asking me if I can fix it. Rewinding the film is the only thing I could think of that would get the film into playable condition on a Friday night.

You're right. It's not something I enjoyed doing but it worked.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: