Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Displaying a green band? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Displaying a green band?
Andy Bajew
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2009 04:42 PM      Profile for Andy Bajew   Email Andy Bajew   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was at a local cinema the other day and noticed that they did not have a single green band(or another other type of mpaa screen for that matter) before any of their trailers. I have been building prints for my theater for almost a year now and have always been told to include the green bands in my trailer packs. Is it against any type of rules set by the mpaa to not display these bands? The trailer changes seemed so much better without the green bands.

|  IP: Logged

Matt Young
Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2009 05:01 PM      Profile for Matt Young   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Young   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
on some movies I'll cut the green band out when I'm building the print, it makes for a smoother change between previews. neither of our transformers prints have green screen

Be careful though, some trailers have sound that actually starts in the green screen for a split second.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 07-03-2009 05:31 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've talked about this before, but I think the thread's several years old.

I trim my bands to maybe 1, 1.5 seconds. I also trim the ends about half a second after the visual fades or cuts out. It keeps things moving along, afaic.

Others here feel strongly about splicing in the black, which means you have extra "dead air" and a long band... but that's how they like it.

To each his own, I guess.

Andy Bajew
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2009 06:07 PM      Profile for Andy Bajew   Email Andy Bajew   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've always cut my trailers in the black when I am not pressured to get the print plattered and screened(especially when we receive the print literally an hour before its screening. It was actually the first time I've seen a movie without green bands--the lack of them created a much more enjoyable beginning of the film. However I am sure the emotional 'My Sister's Keeper' was reason the trailers were so exciting.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-03-2009 06:26 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Doing that makes the presentation too much like watching TV. [thumbsdown]

Plus when some hag comes out of the auditorium screaming because you ran a preview that had something that she (and nobody else in the world) found offensive (because she is a gypsy and wants free passes), you can remind her that she saw the MPPA's green band rating tag herself and shove the green band wording in her face "the following preview has been approved for ALL audiences"...meaning the trailer itself is rated G. Sorry lady, have a nice day, go suck it. [thumbsup]

Andy Bajew
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2009 06:55 PM      Profile for Andy Bajew   Email Andy Bajew   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fortunately I have never been called to the lobby to explain that situation to a customer. We do however have ad tapes that are played before the start of each film--the end always having a piece about no talking(the Reno 911 one is the most recent and most offensive). Unfortunately, on several occasions, we have had some of our projectionists play that ad tape instead of the all age appropriate ad tape in children films. The flocking of soccer mom's to the lobby is always a scary one.

I should note that every projectionist who has done that is no longer with us, thankfully.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 07-03-2009 11:16 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bet the cinema in question (cutting green bands off) is a Cinemark.

Cinemark's reasoning probably goes something like this:

Average 15 screens per location x 5 shows per screen per day x 5 trailers per show x 5 seconds per green band = 1875 seconds per day of "unnecessary" projecting, roughly 30 minutes. Chop off the green bands and we save on operating costs!

Jarret Chessell
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2009 11:19 PM      Profile for Jarret Chessell   Email Jarret Chessell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Being in Ontario where the MPAA doesn't really mean anything you rarely see them on previews, I hack the wee buggers off when they do show up. People like to argue if they see them. Movie posters are worse. I can't remember the film, but I had someone arguing because a poster said restricted as per the MPAA, in Ontario it was rated PG or 14A or something like that. (They more or less told me I was full of it... it may have been a pixie??)
A movie rating may actually be different between provinces here... and it would be my experience in Ontario is that we have lower ratings than the U.S.
We also have detailed speculations we need to post on the poster (Drug abuse, sexual content, coarse language ect.) It's up to the parent to decide if the film is appropriate for their family.

Andy Bajew
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2009 11:51 PM      Profile for Andy Bajew   Email Andy Bajew   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David, I am rather impressed you were able to guess that it was Cinemark--there are much larger cinema's here in Houston (AMC 20, Tinseltown, etc..). I think those theaters actually need to worry more about not having brain wraps every day before worrying about their programming time(both Cinemark and AMC had to cancel midnight showings of Transformers half way through the screening for wraps).

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2009 11:56 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, I love your theory and wow, there are some situations I would have liked to use that.

I always disliked cutting those green bands off, especially when sound for the trailer started on the green band and was cut off. The things you do for your paycheck sometimes. [Frown]

AJG

Jonathan Althaus
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2009 12:02 AM      Profile for Jonathan Althaus   Email Jonathan Althaus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(Cinemark employee here) I've never completely understood our reasoning for cutting off green band, seeing as it can be extremely useful in showing the rating of the advertised film. The AMC near us used to use green band but a few months ago stopped for an unknown reason. Since our region leader and VP/Director of theatre operations is visiting tomorrow, I'll ask for reasoning.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2009 12:03 AM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, I love your theory and wow, there are some situations I would have liked to use that.

I always disliked cutting those green bands off, especially when sound for the trailer started on the green band and was cut off. The things you do for your paycheck sometimes. [Frown]

AJG

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-04-2009 12:14 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Having worked for Cinemark for a few years in the late 80s, when I first started I asked why it was policy to cut the green bands off and the reason given was because the green bands showed too much dirt and scratches. At the time I don't think that company had ever seen a print run for more than a week without being virtually destroyed. It took me probably a year to get the booth operating my way and get rid of the morons they had playing projectionists, but at that point we did have "the best presentation in the entire chain", per Lee Roy Mitchell.

Cinemark has come a long way towards quality over the last however many years. I think they still chop off the green bands out of habit or because they are just so used to it at this point. I never did agree with the policy, but whatever...it wasn't my call to make so into the trash the green bands went.

I've never know AMC's reasoning. Anyone out there have any insight?

Aaron - I have actually used that MANY times on customers (without the "suck it" part, of course). At the time I had the MPAA's phone number memorized and would give it out anytime a gypsy would come in and start the routine.

Jonathan Althaus
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2009 12:24 AM      Profile for Jonathan Althaus   Email Jonathan Althaus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like the fact how its policy for no green-bands, yet with d-cinema, the green bands are shown. Guess its easier to cut em off of film than it is to hack a trailer file to have it start playing around 3-4 seconds in.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-04-2009 02:12 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like to leave 'em on because it helps show off my clean, sharp print. Plus it provides a nice break between trailers. If a theater shows a shit-ton of trailers, then the audience will moan if they start seeing too many green bands as it signifies "yet another trailer whenisthedamnmoviegonnastart??". Fortunately we do not show a shit-ton of trailers (usually around 4). Like Brad, the only ones who complain about "inappropriate trailers" have been gypsies, though I do once remember a wizard. [Smile]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: