Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Strong power supply help

Author Topic: Strong power supply help
Craig Mueller
Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2009 05:13 PM      Profile for Craig Mueller   Email Craig Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have two spare rectifiers I am trying to test to replace an ancient christie. It is going to be attached to a xetron xn lamphouse. The wiring is independent of the power supply for the lamphouse, and there are two wires for the lamp on/off,automation going into my current power supply. I am curious how the heck to wire the strong power supplies to replicate the same functionality of being able to have it turn on and off with the automation without too much fuss. I have the 6280005 currently jumpered from terminal 2 to 5 and 4 to 6, which causes it to fire up as soon as I flip the breaker on its backside.

So, how can I set it up so that it turns on and off using my current automation without rewiring the whole booth?

Oh yeah, the two models are 6280005 and 6280100R.

Thanks for any help!

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-30-2009 05:29 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I may be wrong but there seems to me there is an automation jumper on the terminal strip inside the Xetron Lamphouse that you remove and replace with the control wires from the automation.

Mark

Craig Mueller
Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2009 06:13 PM      Profile for Craig Mueller   Email Craig Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As is, the automation controls the lamphouse/christie power supply combo just fine, I don't have a clue what the lamphouse terminal wires are currently connected to though. I need a larger power supply for more light and was hoping to just swap in the strong switcher using the wires going into the christie power supply which are just the ac in, dc out and two wires connected to the contactor to turn the supply on and off. Is it possible to do the easy swap on the power supply side or does it require some larger scale rewiring?

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 06-30-2009 07:36 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It shouldn't be too much trouble to wire a Strong power supply into a Xetron lamphouse. (I don't think they ever made a XN, only an XH, but they did make a lot of stuff.) With the older Xetron lamphouses and consoles, when you turned it on, the switch (or relay) only turned on the blower for the reflector ... when that blower got up to speed, the airflow pulled on a vane switch which is connected to the power supply contactor. It wasn't a very good idea, and many were rewired normally. You can tell if yours has a few seconds delay after power up before the contactor pulls in.

I don't know for a fact that the Strong power supply has the proper no-load voltage, etc. but it should work I think. Don't forget there are other things to check before putting in a larger wattage bulb, like wire sizes, enough airflow, etc.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-30-2009 09:27 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the "005" is a large "black suitcase" model and the "R" sounds like the compact V.1 suitcase.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: