Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Long film runs (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Long film runs
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-27-2009 12:25 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
This thread is a continuation of the discussion on long film runs from here.

A few memorable titles I've ran off of the top of my head...

Beauty and the Beast 6 shows a day for 9 months.
Titanic (70mm) 3 shows a day for 5.5 months.
My Big Fat Annoying Wedding 5 shows a day for 54 weeks!
Toy Story 6 shows a day for 8 months.

I almost got fired from the Toy Story run, as on the last week this movie played at my theater corporate came in and insisted I must have ordered a new print from behind their back because it was "impossible" to run a print that long and there not even be any dirt on it. It took getting Disney and Technicolor on the phone to back me that it was the original print.

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-27-2009 12:40 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bet it was fun showing up those "suits" that you can run a show as it supposed to be...being flawless.

I had a similar situation with being challenged by "suits", but it was on leader usage: Get a call from head of engineering wondering why I haven't ordered any new leaders after two years of being open and rarely called up with any problems.

I simply told him that we take care of stuff out here in Idaho - I had a good crew that knew what they were doing and knew the primer on how to run a projector.

He then gave me a raise for being up front with him and keeping up the good work....

-Monte

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-27-2009 12:59 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
He then gave me a raise for being up front with him and keeping up the good work...
Ok, then I'll be up there tomrrow and you can take me to that really good steak place....

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-27-2009 01:09 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Leaders will have a useful life 5 times over if the upper roller on the projector is aligned to have a direct vertical angle downward into the projector and there isn't any electrical sealtite/flex running straight out of the projector to the wall.

I have been preaching this for years, but there are a lot of people that are still setting up platter guidance rollers with the upper roller leaning forward (as if they were trying to bypass an upper magazine shaft from a reel-to-reel conversion).

Here is an example of how it should be done:
 -

As you can see, when the film is threaded, it isn't mangled by having the leader drag over the flange of the roller when the roller is situated in this manner:
 -

Threading 101

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 06-27-2009 02:31 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad is right. WE manufacture a top/bottom 360 degree swivel roller arm set that gives you exactly what Brad is showing. (Same roller and bearing that a Potts platter has, only mounted EXACTLY above/below the projector roller.) Louis

Matt Fields
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2009 03:18 PM      Profile for Matt Fields   Email Matt Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Longest run I ever had was Jurassic Park for 9 months at a second run theatre.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-27-2009 03:48 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How long is platter leader supposed to last? I just requested more for one theatre that has been using the same leaders (ten or so for a 6-plex) for at least seven years and probably since the place opened in 1998. The existing leaders are still usable, but the sprocket holes are starting to get torn near the ends.

As for long runs, that same theatre ran "Monsoon Wedding" and "MBFGW" for over six months each. Lately, they have been booking more mainstream titles than art titles, and few of those will last more than two weeks.

Don Furr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2009 04:06 PM      Profile for Don Furr   Email Don Furr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Longest run we did was our first dollar house with Home Alone summer of 1991. I ran it from Memorial Day through Labor Day...5 shows a day.

Geoff Jones
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2009 04:39 PM      Profile for Geoff Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Geoff Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why do you lie on your own forums, Brad? That's total BS. The only way a movie can look as good after months of playing is if it's digital.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-27-2009 08:16 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, your projector is out of frame.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-27-2009 08:21 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott Norwood
How long is platter leader supposed to last
With all the guidance rollers being at a square and not at an angle to both film enter and exit a machine, they can easily last a lifetime-being mylar leaders...

I've got leads that are easily over 10-15yrs old - might be somewhat scratched, but still plenty threadable.

quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
Ok, then I'll be up there tomrrow and you can take me to that really good steak place....

...How about OUTBACK...or Texas Roadhouse?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-27-2009 11:30 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some of my leaders don't last more than a few months. Unfortunately all it takes is one person to ruin them for good.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2009 05:57 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Dominion in Edinburgh ran 'Gregorys Girl' for somethnig like 3 years IIRC.

We ran 'Reservoir Dogs' for the entire 5 odd years I worked at the Cameo in Edinburgh, it had tailed off a bit, but when we opened 'Pulp Fiction' that gave it a new lease of life.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 06-28-2009 06:08 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Village 8 in Louisville, Ky once ran 58 weeks,5 times a day on Smokey the Bandit. No scratches, but elongated sprocket holes and faded color. Christie AW-2 with Century. Same with The Gods Must be Crazy. Back in the days of acetate. Louis

Mike Croaro
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2009 12:22 PM      Profile for Mike Croaro   Email Mike Croaro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Folks:

Nowadays only the art house films are capable of long runs.

Mike

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: