Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » dts 6ad

Author Topic: dts 6ad
Rod Cornelison
Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2009 10:47 PM      Profile for Rod Cornelison   Email Rod Cornelison   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have this random popping in one of my dts6ad units. it is coming out of the surrounds. Has anyone had this problem and does anyone have a cure?

|  IP: Logged

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 06-25-2009 10:59 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you tried rebooting it?

Steven J Hart
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2009 11:32 PM      Profile for Steven J Hart   Author's Homepage   Email Steven J Hart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Make sure its the processor causing the problem by disconnecting the surrounds amplifier's inputs. I've run into older amps (Crowns, especially) that like to make random popping or thumping sounds from the speakers even with nothing connected to the inputs.

Richard Condie
Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2009 01:07 AM      Profile for Richard Condie   Email Richard Condie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is also caused by dry points on the caps on older amps

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-26-2009 05:47 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DTS had alot of problems with one of the power supplies failing in the 6AD and I suspect that it is beginning to fail. Perhaps Mike Smith would chime in on this....

Mark

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-26-2009 07:55 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
there is a connector cable between the PS and the board that had issues
try disconnecting the monitor lead first then the system outputs and see if it is in the processor

Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-29-2009 09:59 PM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's no easy answer until you isolate the problem to one component of the audio system.

Rod Cornelison
Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2009 04:28 PM      Profile for Rod Cornelison   Email Rod Cornelison   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks guys! i have 4 yr old crown 602 amps. rebooting not so much on the help front on this problem.that power feed you are talking about has been a issue on other problems like when it acts like a xmas tree and flashes!lol

Matt Young
Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2009 10:18 PM      Profile for Matt Young   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Young   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
how about you buy me all new equipment for the hilltop and you can have all our old busted crap from up there? I know you love those QSC amps we have lol

Rod Cornelison
Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2009 10:22 PM      Profile for Rod Cornelison   Email Rod Cornelison   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't tempt me with your shiney trinkets!!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-03-2009 10:04 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He'd be far better off with the QSC's then he would with the Crowns!!! I've seen so many Crowns(red face model) not worth the cost to repair that it's sick. There are some Crown amps that can ONLY be repaired by replacing the entire pcb... Crown won't even repair them unless they replace the entire pcb... now that gets you to about double the used market value of the crown amp. Ha... I always replace those blown Crowns with QSCs! QSCs if they do fail which is rare are an easy fix either in the field or in the shop.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: