Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Harmonic Buzzing Noise in Analog

Author Topic: Harmonic Buzzing Noise in Analog
Danial Simmonds
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2009 03:36 AM      Profile for Danial Simmonds   Author's Homepage   Email Danial Simmonds   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello again,

I have came across a very weird problem.
I guarantee it is nothing to do with A-Chain.

From the front channel speakers, subwoofers and surround there is this buzzing noise that is like the electrical harmonic noise coming from them.

I have literally tried almost everything. I have done the A-Chain and B-Chain alignment, swapped all the cards of the CP500 and even swapped the QSC Amps...

This problem only occurred after a huge renovation was made opening an IT center above the cinema.

If you guys got any ideas please let me know.

Thanks alot...

Regards
Danial

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-25-2009 03:08 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Disconnect all sources that fed the cp and see if it is still there if not then add one source at a time till it reappears and then start looking at it.
If it is still there with the cp with no sources connected then try disconnecting the cp output and see if the noise is there

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 06-25-2009 08:09 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CP-500: there is supposed to be a small jumper from one of the LOW on the output plug to the chassis. (I use the sub woofer LOW.)

This is not in the older manuals and is quite often missing.

Hope it helps. Louis

Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-29-2009 10:07 PM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes...follow Gordons advice.
Also, you can hook an oscilloscope up to the output of one of your amps far a visual of the buzz. This way you can see when you have eliminated it.

Danial Simmonds
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2009 01:02 AM      Profile for Danial Simmonds   Author's Homepage   Email Danial Simmonds   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey guys,

Thanks, i found that the problem is definitely from electricity. The noise will only go away after i disconnect the power for the analog pre-amp card located at the projector or disconnect the optical input behind the processor...

The projector is V5 Cinemeccanica... I got a power converter 240VAC to 24VDC and took a different power source and the noise disappear.

The noise only happens in Analog. Digital and other sources is okay. However this problem only started after a new floor (Computer shops and mobiles) was opened above the cineplex.

What you guys think?

Thanks
Danial

Hugh McCullough
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2009 05:07 AM      Profile for Hugh McCullough   Author's Homepage   Email Hugh McCullough   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Danial.

Had a similar problem in the 1970s.
We suddenly started to pick up a low buzzing on both optical, and magnetic sound. No digital in those days.
We eventually traced the problem to the Underground station next door.
They had had the station refurbished, and a new escalator installed.
It was the motor of this escalator that we were picking up.
We contacted the underground people, and within about two days they had cured the problem at their end.
Has this new floor above the cinema got an escalator, or some other motorised machinery that could be causing the trouble?

Danial Simmonds
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2009 09:48 AM      Profile for Danial Simmonds   Author's Homepage   Email Danial Simmonds   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well ya, they had placed a total of 2 new escalator's right in front of the cinema, and also they tapped in the electricity just right before the cinema termination... But the shopping mall doesn't want to do anything.. would there be a solution around this?

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 06-30-2009 12:55 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Years ago, I had an intermittent whining sound in an audio studio I ran. I eventually traced it to a building next door. The owners had upgraded their elevator, including a new hoist with an electronic power supply.

The problem was similar to the interference you can get when cheap light dimmers are hooked up nearby. In this case, the SCRs in the motor's variable power supply were not filtered. It only took some capacitors across the input power to fix the problem. Something along those lines might be what's happening to you, and filtering at the offending equipment could take care of the problem.

Danial Simmonds
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2009 09:37 PM      Profile for Danial Simmonds   Author's Homepage   Email Danial Simmonds   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jack,

Thanks for the reply...

So i should try to put capacitors at the power input to the analog pre-amp?

Thanks
Dan.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 06-30-2009 10:24 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If your situation is similar to mine, the best place to install filters is where the power goes into the offending equipment. That prevents the interference from going into the power system in the first place.

I wasn't able to eliminate the problem until I did that.

Jack

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-30-2009 10:33 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a similar problem when I installed a screening room in Houston. There was a factory about 100 yards from the office park and the company made railroad tank cars. You can imagine the types of welding equipment they had over there... the stuff threw back so much garbage onto the power line that you could see it in the projected light on the screen. The only cure there that worked was to install switching power supplies for the lamphouses.

Mark

Justin Gorka
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2009 05:59 PM      Profile for Justin Gorka   Email Justin Gorka   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Deaf loop? I had it a few years back. Do you have deaf loop? If so check all the cables in the trunking. One minor short will do the job(Coke normally is good at it!)

Danial Simmonds
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2009 09:47 PM      Profile for Danial Simmonds   Author's Homepage   Email Danial Simmonds   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now the offending supply to the projector is a 3 phase power input, were using cinemeccanica machine's here and the power for the analog is taken from one of the 3phase lines...

However what i did was this;
I took the power source "single phase" from another power point in the projection room, hooked it up to a 230VAC Step down 24VDC for the analog pre-amp power and it did got rid of the noise for 2 halls but the rest it only reduced it...

Any suggestions on where and what filters to install?

Thank you all for your kind advice :-)

Regards
Dan.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: