Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Waltz With Bashir 25 f.p.s. ?? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Waltz With Bashir 25 f.p.s. ??
Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 06-24-2009 07:26 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're playing Waltz with Bashir this week. The print is marked "25 f.p.s."

So, we don't have a vairiable speed control on our projector. It will have to play at 24 f.p.s.

Does it really matter?
It'll only run 2.5 seconds longer for every minute.

But there's one thing I notice.
The animation looks "stiff" or "plastic." For a movie that's supposed to have great animation, it doesn't look good to me at all.

Is this because I'm playing it one frame too slowly?

Is this because the animators wanted it to look that way?

Or is this because the animators sucked at programming the kinematics?

Inquiring minds want to know...

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-24-2009 08:00 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I played it at 24fps and it was fine, got a near-perfect reading in Dolby Digital (2s and 3s) and the audio didn't sound out-of-pitch. Playing it at 25fps won't make the animation look any less sucky, but it will end the movie more quickly and that is always a good thing. It is basically just a huge Flash animation, anyway. I also find it funny that most places list it as being rated "R" even though it shows full cartoon sexual penetration. I think officially it is unrated. Can't remember if there was a blueband on the end since it has been so long.

The opening sequence has some good sound, but you might as well play the rest of the movie in mono.

Jim Bedford
Jedi Master Film Handler

From: Telluride, CO, USA (733 mi. WNW of Rockwall, TX but it seems much, much longer)

- posted 06-24-2009 08:10 PM      Profile for Jim Bedford   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Bedford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For some reason (perhaps someone across the pond can enlighten us) most European animation is produced at 25fps. As you note, only the most discerning ear or someone with a stopwatch could likely tell the difference.

From experience I can tell you that the filmmaker can tell the difference even though no one else can. If he's not in the house, run it at 24fps; if he is, get an Etrac or a really, really strong lock for the booth door.

It's the story that carries BASHIR, not the animation. Don't worry, the flatness doesn't get in the way and really enhances the story. It's a really good movie.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 06-24-2009 08:19 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe:
Bashir had a real live MPAA rating of R for:

quote:
Rated R for some disturbing images of atrocities, strong violence, brief nudity and a scene of graphic sexual content.
Apparently cartoon sex and violence is more acceptable than in the days of Fritz The Cat;>

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 06-24-2009 08:27 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
and the audio didn't sound out-of-pitch.
Digital sound won't go out of pitch.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-24-2009 08:34 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Correct, but if you don't have digital sound then you MUST play it at 25FPS because even 1FPS difference in analog sound will definitely be noticeable.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 06-24-2009 11:43 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, then, the animation is crappy, eh?

The walk cycles of peoples' legs and feet looked robotic. Hands seemed to float through the air as if detached from the character's arms. Head movements and facial gestures looked very mechanical.

A lot of people I talked to noticed it too but they thought it was "interesting" to see. I found it to be distracting and quite annoying!

The walk cycles of peoples' feet looked very mechanical. Hands seemed to float through the air as if detached from the character's arms. Head movements and facial gestures looked very mechanical.

I don't know of any professional level animation program that doesn't have advanced kinematics rendering. For cripes sake, even the "lowly" Blender can do inverse kinematics and keyframed interpolation.

Perhaps the animators were too busy tweaking their "digital rotoscope" filters to notice that there are little handles on those Bezier curves?

quote: "Martin McCaffery "

Bashir had a real live MPAA rating of R for:

quote:
Rated R for some disturbing images of atrocities, strong violence, brief nudity and a scene of graphic sexual content.
Apparently cartoon sex and violence is more acceptable than in the days of Fritz The Cat;>

Yeah! You can bet one or two little, old ladies' eyeballs burst into flame when that scene hit the screen! [Eek!]

Funny thing... There were about 4 or 5 splices in the movie, all in a row right in the middle of that scene!
[Mad]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-25-2009 12:35 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: John Wilson
Digital sound won't go out of pitch.
Thread a loop of film through your Dolby Digital penthouse reader. Do NOT thread the analog soundhead. Turn on the motor, select Dolby Digital and listen. Turn off the motor. The sound slows and the pitch lowers before it eventually drops out. Dolby Digital has plenty of wow and flutter capability. There was even a thread about this not too long ago because the tensioners would bounce during a splice for someone and they could hear the wow and flutter.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-25-2009 12:58 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
You sure the pitch changes? You could be right, but I seem to recall just the speed changed. If I ever get bored I might do that test.

Hmmmmm, where to find a McG movie I can cut into a loop??

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 06-25-2009 01:03 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
Thread a loop of film through your Dolby Digital penthouse reader. Do NOT thread the analog soundhead.
I can't do that as I have basement readers.

I'm sure it slows, but I personally have never heard any change in pitch by switching from and to 25fps. Maybe it's just that 1fps increment that it manages to can handle. I've had DTS hold at 30fps and no pitch change...just lots of missing segments as it tries to deal with it.

Analogue on the other hand... [eyes]

Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2009 02:43 AM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As we all know, a fair number of stuff outside the USA and Japan is done at 25fps, since it matches the way most people will see it and, if it needs to be shown at 24fps, it's usually no big deal, just slow it down a bit.

They may have re-adjusted the pitch during the film transfer to +2.085% (like 24.5fps) figuring they'll play it safe to those that were playing it 24 w/o digital pitch re-adjustment as well as 25. Thus, with approx. 2% analog off-pitch, it pbbly would go unnoticed to most, depending on the content.

Old indian film transfers are always incredible interesting as they often are, hmmmm, "challenged" ( [sex] -ed up). Here is one where they must have transfered it to 29.96 fps (from original 24 film), then to 25fps with a pulldown removal that must have been out of phase with the actual NTSC-rate pulldown, leaving a video which de-interlaced motion seems to fluctuate half-way between 23.97 and 29.96 playedback sped up by some 4%. The audio must had been set up to follow the frame in the time shifter, and well, it did try to keep up [Wink] .

Still, if you weren't warned before hand, it may have looked half-decent to most. At least it did to the guy doing the transfer [Roll Eyes] . And remember we are talking about changes of up to 4fps in this video (30-24/2+4%), not just 1fps. That IS a lot. And it contains music and lyrics, which is usually more noticeable.

I have seen many screws-up during indian film transfers, but some are just ... [Eek!]

Our brains adjust better for this type of speed-variations than we think, even w/o the digital help.

After all, until recently all movies tranferred to TV/DVD are watched at slightly slowed and with un-even (pulldown) motion in some countries and sped up by 1fps in others, and only a few old farts like us ever notice or complain [Wink]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeNoUggxxdM&fmt=22

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-25-2009 03:32 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bradzilla
You sure the pitch changes? You could be right, but I seem to recall just the speed changed.
That's what I would have thought, too. But I have done this. Granted, it doesn't take long for the audio to go bye-bye, but in that short time you can hear a clear pitch change. Also, if it were only the speed changing, we wouldn't have had that thread asking about wow in Dolby Digital as it bobbed up and down at the splices (on that particular member's reader) since it really wouldn't be noticeable. Maybe I'll take my camera to work tomorrow and record me doing this if I have time, and then post it here. If I'm wrong, I'll be the first to admit it. I only have 2 to build and 3 to break down.

John, you can do this, just shut off the analog LED if you can.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 06-25-2009 09:27 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Dolby Digital can pitch change just like analog. I believe it is made for 24fps plus/minus 3 or 4 before it unlocks. (I have a DD test generator that supplies test signals that are just inside spec to test the decoder.)

btw: 25 versus fps: you are 4.16% higher in pitch. (a440 becomes 458. Perfect pitch people can hear 1 or 2 cycles.

btw: Dolby Digital WILL play backwards; sounds just like analog playing backwards. Louis

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2009 10:07 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Louis Bornwasser
Dolby Digital can pitch change just like analog
Really? I always assumed that the system would take
the slightly-off speed data and and clock-it-out at
the correct rate.
(Within certain limits of equipment tolerance, of course.)

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 06-25-2009 12:00 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe and Louis are absolutely correct, pitch changes with both SRD and DTS, just like it does with analog sound, and I'd be stunned if it were different with SDDS.

Jim, you can't just "clock it out at the correct rate" -- if you did that, then you'd need to resync every once in a while (presumably every few seconds), and the periodic blip from resyncing would be really annoying, as would the lip sync delay you would get.

It's now possible for computers to pitch-correct speed adjusted audio, but this is a relatively new technology, and I don't think it works perfectly (especially with things that are not pure tones). But it certainly wasn't prevalent when the three digital sound systems were introduced, and they haven't changed the way they have been implemented. And it would take more horsepower than I think is available in digital sound decoders.

We ran Waltz with Bashir in 24fps, and I'm embarassed to admit I didn't notice the 25fps notation. It was absolutely fine.
I'll second Jim's comment about filmmakers, though, I've had that happen.

--jhawk

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: