Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Need quick answer about lamphouse bulb compatibility (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Need quick answer about lamphouse bulb compatibility
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-23-2009 06:47 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A neighboring theatre has a blown bulb and no spare, and wants to know if we can sell them a bulb....they have a Xetron XH Series YXL lamphouse and we have a Christie CL20 (2000w). Can anyone tell me if our bulb would work in their lamp?

EDIT Sorry I posted this in the wrong forum inadvertently - if a mod spots this could you move it to FHF? Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 06-23-2009 07:23 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Need to know more about the Xetron lamphouse; there are several different adapters to allow different bulbs to fit. I couldn't find a CL20 lasmp on Christie's web site. The CXL20 has a threaded cathode end; most but not all Xetrons tended to use a non-threaded bulb.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2009 07:25 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Generally speaking, a 2000Watt bulb is a 2000watt bulb.
(remember, I said "generally")
I'm not familiar with this particular lamp or lamphouse,
but the main problem they might have is in mounting it.

I've got several different types/vintages of lamphouses
and on several of them, the negative end has to screw
into a mounting bracket or a wire with a threaded
socket on the end. This type requres that the "tit" on
the cathode end has threads on it. On a couple of my
other lamps the negative end is held in place by a current
carrying clamp.

Same thing on the positive side. Some bulbs clamp the
positive end into a "live" curent carrying clamp.
On other lamphouses, the clamp is insulated &the bulb
must get the positive voltage from a cable attached
directly to the anode end of the bulb assembly.

The long and short of it is that in a pinch, I've been able
to get any 2000W bulb to work in any of my lamphouses
until a proper replacement can be obtained.

In the end, it all may depend on the level of creativity
and experience of the guy who is installing the bulb at the
other theater. If he's a good tech he can probably make it work.

I know this doesn't directly answer your question, but
it's "my two cents worth" of advice. [Big Grin]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-23-2009 07:31 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John W - Sorry I mistyped -- ours is indeed a CXL20.

I don't have any more info on the Xetron lamp -- these are brand new people in the business and that's all they gave me so far. They don't have a tech yet from what I've been able to find out.

Supposedly they ordered a new bulb from some distributor in the eastern US via "overnight" shipping and it did not arrive today. They are hoping to open Transformers tomorrow night and they are in panic mode. (I already told them they should have ordered TWO bulbs so as to have a spare.)

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 06-23-2009 07:41 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The theater will need to look on a bulb or if they still have a box left over. Their bulb could be a 'long' or a 'short' 2000 watt, with a threaded end or not. In the manuals section, there is a lamphouse manual with a chart showing the different adapters.

A quick check is to look at the cathode end. My guess you will find that their cathode end is not threaded. Since yours is, they are not interchangable.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-23-2009 08:33 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I concur with John. I don't think it will work.

Regardless, I do hope they understand that a xenon bulb is not like an ordinary light bulb. It would be bad if they were handling the glass and being rough with it when they put it in, or if they didn't know how to properly focus the light and end up blistering their print.

Edit - you said they were going to be playing Transformers. Crank that light down!!! [evil]

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-23-2009 09:45 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope...a CXL-20 isn't going in a Xetron anything. It has the HTP cathode...Xetron/Neumade can only take either the CXL-20R or the CXL-20SC, with suitable adapters.

And not all 2K sizes are created equal at all. Generally, the HS versions are more light efficient with the right reflectors.

Steve

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 06-23-2009 10:02 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
fyi; many General Cinema Xetron systems did take the CXL-20 style bulbs. Many are still in service and remain "uncon verted" to normal Xetron (non threaded) standards.

We can always ship same day if ordered by 4 pm and credit is approved. Louis

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-23-2009 10:27 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You need to ask them what the negative pin on their lamp looks like Mike. If their's is straight and not threaded then your lamp won't work in their lamphouse. It's that simple... You take the CXL-20 lamp with the 13mm(?) threaded end.

Mark

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-24-2009 12:13 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Found out a while ago that their bulb does not have a threaded end and they have no adaptors of course, so I'm not able to help them. Thanks all for the quick responses, it's appreciated.

I think Claco has a tech in the area so apparently they are attempting to hook up with him to get this resolved before tomorrow night. If I were them I would have had a "soft" opening with some less-blockbusterish movie, but they're determined to make a splash with Transformers - hope they can pull it off.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-24-2009 03:33 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agree with Steve. Be the standard 20R, or the XBO-2000W of Osrams.

..what we burned in our XETRON XHC-35 consoles back with MANN Theatres ...

Steve Guttag

- posted 06-24-2009 06:45 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know of many Xetrons that want the CXL-20HS (XB02000HS)...never saw an adapter for HTP style ends for a Xetron but I'll take your word for it Louis.

About all I've seen that made adapters for HTP style lamps for their lamphouses are Kinoton...their focus rack is set so far back that they have the room to make adapters for most ANY lamp style work. Though an HTP type lamp in an adapter, unless it has a collet, doesn't thrill me from a connection standpoint. At least on the 1000s and 1600s, the threads are more aggressive, have the pins to get more leverage on and also top out at 75A...with an HTP style lamp, you may have a 7KW lamp in there runing over 165A.

Steve

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-24-2009 07:22 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Theaters all over Wyoming with Xetron lamphousess all take CXL-20's.

Mark

Steve Guttag

- posted 06-24-2009 05:00 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I stand corrected...Xetron/Neumade most definitely has offered HTP fittings for their lamphouses/consoles for quite some time, as it appears (checked old and newer manuals). Even going back to the dreaded front spider assembly...there as a version to accept the CXL-20 anode.

Never seen any configured like that in this area but clearly HTP has been popular in other parts.

Steve

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-24-2009 09:38 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess the Montana Theatre in Miles City was able to help them out with a bulb. So hopefully they are currently showing Transformers to a packed house.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: