Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » BIG Screens

Author Topic: BIG Screens
Jake Spell
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2009 01:19 AM      Profile for Jake Spell   Email Jake Spell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The theater that I work at, a converted IMAX now 35mm, put in a 29x70 foot high gain(1.4) screen. The first screen's finish was very noticeably messed up. It looked like the paint spryer was clogged and it also had a VERY bad hotspot. They sent out a new screen which was better than the first but still not perfect. Has anyone else had any similar problems large screens?

|  IP: Logged

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 06-23-2009 04:07 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is the screen Flat?

Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2009 04:16 AM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1.4 can not be considered very high gain. At least, personally, I don't use the "very" until at least 1.5 territory. At 1.4 and such as large size, it would be unnusual to hotspot so much.

Are you sure you don't mean 2.4 gain? If the screen is gonna be used for 3D, it would make more sense it was 2.4.

But who is the manufacturer? Is it a perleascent screen? If silver 2.4 then, indeed, you are not the first one with (much) less than perfect results EVEN after a replacement [Confused]

If it's 1.4 pearl, personally I've only heard of the occasional bad job that gets replaced. Sometimes it's just hard to get rid of an occasional mild random hotspot.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-23-2009 10:18 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can say that Hurley has had alot of problems over the last several years. A number of screens had to be replaced but the latest one was a Hurley Washable Silver screen and they refused to replace it even though the audience at the theater it hangs in complains about how splotchy it looks. Thay claim they project light onto each screen at the factory before they ship and that it met all their specs. All I can say is their specs are garbage specs!! My advice is to stay away from Hurley completely!!!

Mark

Jake Spell
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2009 10:39 AM      Profile for Jake Spell   Email Jake Spell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The screen is an MDI and the there was one installed last year at another thaeater that looks perfect. The screen is a 1.4 gain curved screen and not used for 3-D. The hotspot isnt that big of a problem. Its only really noticable in very bright sceens, the problem is the splotchyness.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: