Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Speco or Speco???? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Speco or Speco????
John B. Keathley
Film Handler

- posted 06-21-2009 05:20 PM      Profile for John B. Keathley   Email John B. Keathley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have Speco platters in our theatre. There is a disagreement as to the proper pronunciation of the platters. Is it Speco (Speak-O) or Speco (Speck-O)?

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-21-2009 05:24 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can also call them "Drive-In" platters (their original name) for the LP-270's

Accent on the first syllable with the long "e" doubled. - "Speek-o"

Good luck - Monte

John B. Keathley
Film Handler

- posted 06-21-2009 05:28 PM      Profile for John B. Keathley   Email John B. Keathley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks a million Monte. Proved me right. [Smile]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-21-2009 07:52 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: John B. Keathley
We have Speco platters in our theatre.
My condolences if they are the LP-270.

quote: John B. Keathley
Is it Speco (Speak-O) or Speco (Speck-O)?
It is pronounced "dogshit" if they are red. If they are the newer ones (LP-280) then it is pronounced SPEAK-OH. The newer ones are so much better! Probably better than Strong, for sure. I'd love to try one someday based on the review here.

quote: Monte L Fullmer
You can also call them "Drive-In" platters
I hate that term. I am befuddled at why that name was chosen. Where there ever Single Screen or Multiplex Platters? This angers me. There should be a law that they must be called Speco. Ooops I mean "Dogshit".

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-21-2009 08:17 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
SPECO never changed the center feed design for the LP-280 nor made any of the other improvements we recommended (other than the center ring). As a result I wouldn't recommend it since it had a tendency to throw prints "as is". Whenever I get a chance I will have to update that review, as it was written based upon the company making those changes. It would get an F since their platter design won't even accept a platter safety ring due to its tendency to toss prints.

The LP-270 is their best platter "as is".

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-21-2009 10:12 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Brad: One of the better platters that I've worked with, and for their design, it suited the purpose in that time frame of the late 70's to present.

The brain was so quick and easy to lace through, simple motor drive design with that rim drive operation (not complicated as the AW2's reduction transmission setup for that era, or those wind driven idiot platters..et.al. ), and when the drive tire would get a groove, all you had to do is loosen up the drive tire's collar shaft on the motor and raise it up an half-inch and you got new rubber to work with.

My only small gripe with the LP-270's was that plug-in diode in the control panel which loves to go short out on occasion and that would blow the glass fuses in the base.

Even using that reed switch in the arm below the brain and the arm of the brain had a magnet attached to where it would close the reed switch for payout wasn't a bad idea.

...just that wood grained, plywood covered MUT was something else to work with, but got that one figured out - just build and break from the middle deck - don't use their roller assembly.

-Monte

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 06-21-2009 11:15 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Whoops.
 -

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-21-2009 11:24 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
I agree with Brad: One of the better platters that I've worked with
Brad didn't say that, he just said it is better than the LP-280 since they refused to fix the shafty features.

Anyway while I'm sure there are many quirks that can seem cool like moving the motor up like Monte indicated, being able to only build and break from the middle deck is an automatic Z. That's right, way lower than an F. But I think Speco finally made newer tables that can load and break from any deck so that brings the grade way back up to an F. I'll even take a Strong, permitting of course that I am allowed to modify said Strong.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-22-2009 04:44 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a small "whoopsie" there, Adam. Wait until when someone forgets to put the magnetic puk on the end of the film and half of the film winds up underneath the deck with the end going wild.

I got called in on due to one operator at a MANN 4plex that had these things and who did the snafu on not securing the film down - and we did the simple fix: took the deck off the arm, slid the film off the arm and spent 2hrs getting the film wound back on the rewind platter .. and dealing with acetate stock.

After that was back on the deck (luckilly, we did have a Kelmar cleaner, but FG wasn't invented yet .. 1988...) had to run the print a good dozen times through the Kelmar to make it look decently clean.

(Sorry Joe on the mis-statement...)

-Monte

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 06-22-2009 10:31 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
btw: the deck IS a picnic table from K-mart. No, I am not kidding. That is why magnets work, it is steel, not aluminum. Louis

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 06-22-2009 10:52 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Speco or Speco????
It's actually pronounced...Kinoton. [Razz]

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2009 01:52 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is it that someone said to me once?

"These platter systems are like the tractors of the film platter industry". (LP-270s)

They are rude and crude but get the job done. (hmmm)

When I write my biography, there will be an entire chapter dedicated to the day that someone handed me some tools and told me to fix one of these platter systems to prove that I could be a Projection Technician.

I am proud to say that I am in management to stay.

Thank you and have a nice day. [Big Grin]

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 06-22-2009 05:53 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As with most of DITMCO's/SPECO's equipment, their designs were along the path less traveled. Some decent, some not so hot, although mostly reliable. I never liked their automations, but the LP-270 was one of the equipments that I was okay with - somewhat. [Roll Eyes]

The 2-stage payout scheme was very smooth compared to the Potts design - both of which used variac outputs based on the takeup slider position. For me, the LP-270's main sources of trouble were the motor drive shafts, the twisted slider arm, and occasionally the payout magnet - although if you didn't start any shit with the latter (like hitting it with a platter ring), it wouldn't give you any shit. But, if those few things could've been made more... "robust" (how I hate that word), they would've been perfect.

If you kept them maintained they would perform like a champ. I haven't had much experience with them in the post-acetate world.

The early makeup tables didn't even make good firewood. [puke]

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 06-22-2009 07:40 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tim Reed
The early makeup tables didn't even make good firewood.
Man, oh man...you can say that again. [puke] [puke]

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 06-23-2009 03:07 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
btw; Tim, Bob Potts invented the LP-270 and made the first 1000 of them or so. Louis

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: