Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Bell and Howell TQIII film slipping problem

Author Topic: Bell and Howell TQIII film slipping problem
James Paterson
Film Handler

- posted 06-19-2009 02:17 AM      Profile for James Paterson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a 16mm bell and howell TQIII projector which has a strange problem where the film doesnt seem to be going through the gate correctly and the resulting image just appears as a "blur" as if it isnt getting held in the gate at the right time. I've also noticed on the test piece of leader i used it was chomping some of the sprocket holes.

Its almost as if the claws in the gate are not precisely timed with the sprocket holes on the other rollers thus slightly missing them, and only getting it sometimes.

I wondered what part of the projector i should be looking at to fix this problem, everything else seems to look fine

|  IP: Logged

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 06-19-2009 03:35 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Make sure the tension on the feed and take-up is not too great. Either way will pull your intermittent loops out of the equation.

When you open the gate/lens and run the projector...do you see the intermittent claws working?

Do you have a loop restorer on that model?

Are you sure the clasps are down on the upper and lower feed sprockets?

You may have some luck here but you'll more than likely benefit more over at the 16mm Forum .

Happy 16mm-ing. [thumbsup]

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 06-19-2009 01:39 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you loosing loops? If so, check the clearance between the sprockets and the shoes, or whatever you call them over there.

if the film isn't pulling down properly check how far forward the claw comes as in engages with the film; this adjustment is fairly critical, and difficult to get right without the correct tools; it took me ages to get it right the only time I've ever set it.

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-19-2009 06:22 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You might also ask the guys over at www.16mmfilmtalk.com

James Paterson
Film Handler

- posted 06-19-2009 09:13 PM      Profile for James Paterson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
on closer inpsection there appears to be a little stud like thing near the whole film gate and plate assembly which has a clip that depending on how much you tighten pushes the stud in deeper, which in turn is connected to the claws next to the gate and pushed it further in or out...

I have tried adjusting various amounts but the film is still slipping and becoming just a long blur when projected...perhaps there is more to it than just adjusting this part

Shall make some posts on the 16mm forum once my registration is approved, i wasnt aware till now it even existed

Thanks

James

Hugh McCullough
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2009 11:43 AM      Profile for Hugh McCullough   Author's Homepage   Email Hugh McCullough   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello James.
You can download a Technical Manual for the TQ3 at:-
www.kalee.co.uk

Brian Guckian
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-21-2009 09:47 AM      Profile for Brian Guckian   Email Brian Guckian   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There should be an inching knob on the TQIII that will allow you check the operation of the claw, with the lens holder swung open, without having to actually run the machine.

It sounds like a timing fault with the claw mechanism. The perforation damage points to that possibility.

Another problem that can happen is wear or damage to the claw teeth over time.

Like Stephen says above, adjusting these mechanisms is very difficult without a proper alignment tool / jig.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: