Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » No Tape - Take Down Question (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: No Tape - Take Down Question
Tom Maguire
Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2009 11:26 AM      Profile for Tom Maguire   Email Tom Maguire   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a reason why not using tape on take down of a print is a bad idea? Not sure it there's a technical term for it but I call it a Tension Wrap - where no tape is used to on the heads or tails. The only tape would be some paper tape to adhere the beginning of the head. Hopefully this description isn't confusing. Looking for input, thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 06-17-2009 12:47 PM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tom.

Welcome aboard! You'll find the most comprehensive team of experts here more than willing to help.

Id suggest that the biggest problem with using the tension-wrap would be the risk of "cinching", where sliding friction between layers of film causes short emulsion and base scratches along the length of the wrapped section. It doesn't take too many sliding layers to cause very noticeable on-screen artifacts, and would recommend at least a single-sided tape splice. Paper tape does leave a residue which again, leaves visible on-screen artifacts.

Cheers

Ian

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 06-17-2009 02:38 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think he wasn't referring to the splice but rather using tape to secure the tail to the reel when tearing down the print. And one could argue that the tape isn't needed since the reel already has a slit for the tail to attach to (they don't normally come taped when you get a new one).

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2009 03:01 PM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Every now and then we'll get a previously viewed print where someone has done this "no tape to the heads and tails" thing, and peronally I find it annoying - especially on the head of the reel. For some reason, many times the tape used to secure the flapping film on the outside of the reel comes loose and the film ends up being a spaghetti mess inside the cans.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-17-2009 03:02 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Tape should never be used to secure the last of the tail/head leader to the REEL's core, but I don't think he was referring to that. I think he was referring to re-splicing the heads and tails back on.

In the latter instance, taping the leaders back together is CRUCIAL. Doing the "tuck-under/tension wrap" not only causes some marks on the print, but when the next theater is unreeling the film not having the tail taped onto the last frame causes the film to drop from the reel and slap on the ground, causing more damage. Furthermore by not re-taping the heads and tails back PROPERLY...and by properly I mean by USING A SPLICER and USING SPLICING TAPE, I have seen countless examples of sprocket damage thanks to the idiots out there who use a roll of masking tape and no splicer to break down with.

So if you aren't using a splicer and actual splicing tape to break your movies down, you are doing it wrong. Do note however that it is proper to only make a single sided splice when re-attaching the leaders.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-17-2009 03:04 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Please do not attach the heads and/or tails to the reel with anything but splicing tape, preferably only a single-sided splice after you have peeled off the tape that was used to hold the reels together.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-17-2009 03:08 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
You may want to reword that. He may take the word "reel" literally.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 06-17-2009 04:05 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, reely.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 06-17-2009 04:42 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wait, what's wrong with taping the tail of the tail to the hub of the reel with paper tape? I know some people do this instead of finding the slot, and I've never had it present a problem either when feeding from a reel into the projector or on the rewind bench or anywhere else.

I don't generally do it, but I've never seen it be a problem.

(What is a problem is when people knot the end of the tail inside the core, who the heck knows how, such that it won't pull free easily.)

--jhawk

Matt Skilton
Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2009 05:05 PM      Profile for Matt Skilton   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Skilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I fully agree that the heads and tales should be taped (on one side) with a splicer. I wouldn't dream of not doing that when breaking down a film.

I also agree that the film shouldn't be taped down onto the bobbin. It doesn't always break free when being wound onto a spindle and can cause a lot of damage to both the film and equipment.

We sometimes get new trailers that have been taped to their bobbin and it can easily do serious damage to your fingers if you're winding it onto a trailer set. Further more there's no indication that it has been taped down so you can't even prepare for it.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-17-2009 05:14 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes you can. Slow down as the film gets close to the core.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 06-17-2009 08:26 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's no need to tape it to the core...or put it in the slot. Just wrap it around and pull tight.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-17-2009 09:47 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yea, we call it "slip winding". I've been doing that since I began in this business - never used the slot.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 06-17-2009 09:49 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a lot tougher to do that in a magazine than it is on an open rewind bench. It can be particularly tough with some reel geometries.

--jhawk

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 06-17-2009 10:39 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nah, it's just practice.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: